• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL 2024 Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker

Thomas had a breakout year and has cashed in on it. He had the experience of being a bigger fish in a smaller pond, and stood out. It will be interesting to see how he looks in a larger pond with a lot of big fish. It could go either way for him. He certainly got good coaching at UNCo.
Worked out pretty good for the EWU guy...

Caden Powell to Rice. That's a bummer. I thought for sure he was coming here. I think there's a big or 2 out there somewhere that they're recruiting that we don't know about

Caden Powell to Rice. That's a bummer. I thought for sure he was coming here. I think there's a big or 2 out there somewhere that they're recruiting that we don't know about
I sure hope so. From the outside looking in, it looks like we missed on a few guys, we pushed to get, and we might be in a rough situation right now. I’m sure TD and staff have a plan.

I thought we might have a chance at him early and he'd would've been a difference maker. At this point as much as I think Yuto Williams would be a great fit, I could imagine like Powell and others there is going to be a lot of interest in a 4/5 with passing/shooting skills.

If I would read tea-leaves for best chances or guys I like.
1. Jensen Bradtke (Saint Mary's) (Because of the Clarke/Bannan/Jones connection)
2. Yuto Williams (Portland)
3. Nigel Burris (Idaho-Utah State)- I'd take him in a heart beat based off his limited time at Idaho. He didn't get much time at all at Utah State, but he profiles more in the undersized PF role that Pridgett played as. He and Sawyer play a similar role and that wasn't a good mix with Sawyer and Thomas on the floor. He gonna get oodles of contacts from BSC teams.
4. Kiree Hiue (Idaho State): I wonder if he doesn't head back east somewhere, but he'd immediately upgrade our post defense.
5. Jazz Gardner (Nevada): I don't think we have much of a chance at him, but he'd be an absolute stud in the BSC.
6. Makai Richards (Eastern Washington-Pacific): Staff is familiar with him, red-shirted at EWU and then left after his RS year. Got good time for an absolutely attrocious Pacific team.
7. Handje Tamba (Weber State): See Hiue. Definitely a post only guy, but really struggled to get minutes this year. Would be a junior but as noted could see him wanted to go back east.

Kolly is a good pick up for MSU. He seems to fit with the other players they have. MSU will be improved next year.

To me, it's just as much about fit as it is about skill sets. Just looking at how they finished this past season and how they have recruited so far, I would say the teams on the rise seem to be MSU, ISU, and UNCo. I would also say that UM and WSU seem to be staying on the strong side of things. As usual, teams like PSU, Sac, and UI will be up and down throughout the year.

From what they have put together thus far, I would say that ISU is one post player away from being a top 4 team next year.

About these transfers, it's about skill sets and fit. To be a contributor they need to have both. ISU's guys all seem to be cut from the same cloth. I feel the same about MSU's additions.

One of the problems of bringing in freshmen is that you really don't know enough about them to determine how they might fit with the rest of your team. It's easier to misjudge.

Kolly is a good pick up for MSU. He seems to fit with the other players they have. MSU will be improved next year.

To me, it's just as much about fit as it is about skill sets. Just looking at how they finished this past season and how they have recruited so far, I would say the teams on the rise seem to be MSU, ISU, and UNCo. I would also say that UM and WSU seem to be staying on the strong side of things. As usual, teams like PSU, Sac, and UI will be up and down throughout the year.

From what they have put together thus far, I would say that ISU is one post player away from being a top 4 team next year.

About these transfers, it's about skill sets and fit. To be a contributor they need to have both. ISU's guys all seem to be cut from the same cloth. I feel the same about MSU's additions.

One of the problems of bringing in freshmen is that you really don't know enough about them to determine how they might fit with the rest of your team. It's easier to misjudge.
That's a pretty strong take. I do like the pieces that the cats have brought in so far, but they still don't have an elite point guard. I don't even know who the cats point guard is now that Ford graduated, unless they're planning to get somebody out of the portal.

As for ISU, it's a complete overhaul. I think the number of guys they've lost is now up to 10 and while that have brought in some decent pieces IMO, they still have a TON of work to do in the portal. You don't just lose that many guys and take a step forward next year. I think it's gonna be a tough year for ISU.

That team that IMO has done the best job in the portal so far is UNC. I really like the kid they brought in from VMI (he's a baller) and Quinn Denker is a great addition too. Ya it hurts to lose Saint Thomas, but I give Steve Smyley a lot of credit. That man can recruit the portal. I also like the pieces the Griz and Weber have brought in so far, but the Griz still need to get some big guys before I consider this portal cycle a success

That's a pretty strong take. I do like the pieces that the cats have brought in so far, but they still don't have an elite point guard. I don't even know who the cats point guard is now that Ford graduated, unless they're planning to get somebody out of the portal.

As for ISU, it's a complete overhaul. I think the number of guys they've lost is now up to 10 and while that have brought in some decent pieces IMO, they still have a TON of work to do in the portal. You don't just lose that many guys and take a step forward next year. I think it's gonna be a tough year for ISU.

That team that IMO has done the best job in the portal so far is UNC. I really like the kid they brought in from VMI (he's a baller) and Quinn Denker is a great addition too. Ya it hurts to lose Saint Thomas, but I give Steve Smyley a lot of credit. That man can recruit the portal. I also like the pieces the Griz and Weber have brought in so far, but the Griz still need to get some big guys before I consider this portal cycle a success
The reason I say ISU is getting better is that they were bottom 4 last season and have brought in guys who look like uprades from what they had before. You never really know until you see them on the floor a few times. The need for a true PG has diminished as the game has evolved. Seems like many teams have gone to a PG by committee sort of arangement. I honestly don't have any idea who the top 4 might be next season. It very well could be the usual cast of characters.

Weber has one spot left to fill and an assistant coach to hire. The coaching hire may well be the more important of the two. Our coaches have said that they don't plan to rush either decision.

I'm a bit shocked by the large number of players in the portal who have not found homes yet. Looks to me like there will be a large number who will be leaving basketball altogether.

Nowell may end up being a good player for PSU, who knows. It would concern me that this is his third school and he has dropped down a notch with each transfer. Maybe he has found his level, maybe he has not. It is not a sure bet. I will wait and see before I call aything on this one. Shooting splits, 35, 23, 80. Averaged 2ppg, 1.8rpg at UNLV.

Last edited:
Back