• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2024 Preseason Tourney #2 -- UTEP

grizzlyjournal

Griz play Purdue Fort Wayne in game #1. Still no sign of Montana sr. center fielder Elise Ontiveros.

Frosh SS Riley just put Montana up 3-1 in the top of the fourth with a 2RBI double to cf.

Soph pitcher Grace Haegele is hitting the corners with outstanding control so far... and getting solid support defensively, especially 3B Grace Hardy with two outstanding defensive plays. Griz up 3-1 going into the top of the 6th.

grizzlyjournal said:
Soph pitcher Grace Haegele is hitting the corners with outstanding control so far... and getting solid support defensively, especially 3B Grace Hardy with two outstanding defensive plays. Griz up 3-1 going into the top of the 6th.

Sounds like she's pitching a gem. Some more run support would be great. Is there a stream?

GrizSB beat Purdue Fort Wayne 5-1 with the final out the third stellar defensive play of the game by 3B Grace Hardy in support of winning P Grace Haegele. After giving up a first-inning run (un-earned), Haegele pitched a complete-game win in top form, with solid control throughout, allowing only 1 walk to Purdue batters, while allowing only 5 hits.
Haegele's pitching today is an encouraging sign for GrizSB.
Another hopeful sign... Montana batters in the middle of the order produced the on-base baserunners. Frosh SS Riley Peschek and sr. PH Kelly Sweyer each got 2RBI hits, hitting in the 8th and 9th slots in the batting order.
Montana's infield D was stellar, with Peschek and 1B Hannah Jablonski also making superb defensive plays.
Montana now plays tourney host UTEP in an afternoon game.

Sorry CDAGRIZ... Yes, it was on Youtube. Probably can be accessed as a replay later today. Worth watching, because I consider this one of Grace Haegele's best games as a Montana pitcher.

P.S. This afternoon's game, vs. host school UTEP, will be streamed on ESPN+

A very good sign, going into Montana's second game of the UTEP Invite vs. the home team... Elise Ontiveros (#9) is in uniform and with the team today, though she is not in the playing lineup.

An interesting lineup change for Montana in its first two games of the UTEP Invite: frosh catcher Madison Tarrant is in the lineup as DP for the Griz. I had expected either Kelly Sweyer or Kynzie Mohl to be starters.

Game to two of the UTEP Invite has the Miners leading Montana 6-0 going in to the top of the 6th in a game where the score is not fully indicative of how Montana is playing or of how starting pitcher Emmalyn Brinka has pitched. UTEP got 4 early runs on two hit-by-batters called by an ump who didn't seem to understand that a ball that hits a batter's elbow within the strike zone is actually a strike. A consult among the umps settled things down, but the damage was done. Otherwise, Montana has put the ball in play... but -- as things go in softball -- many within range of the UTEP shortstop (excellent range) who has made 9 put-outs. Overall, I believe Brinka has pitched well, but was relieved by Rylee Rehbein in the 6th.
Riley pitched very well in relief, an indicator that Montana's pitching depth is light years better than it was last season.

This probably should not have been a shutout, btw. A serious base-running error (could well have been a missed sign from the 3B coach) resulted in an out at home where the base runner seemed surprised at the catch and tag.

Montana will play games vs. Nebraska and New Mexico State on Saturday.

grizzlyjournal said:
A very good sign, going into Montana's second game of the UTEP Invite vs. the home team... Elise Ontiveros (#9) is in uniform and with the team today, though she is not in the playing lineup.

An interesting lineup change for Montana in its first two games of the UTEP Invite: frosh catcher Madison Tarrant is in the lineup as DP for the Griz. I had expected either Kelly Sweyer or Kynzie Mohl to be starters.

One thing I noticed that coach does a lot is use the DP slot in these early season invites to get some non playing Fr plate appearances. I think it’s a good use. Come con play, I’m sure Sweyer will be the mainstay. She’s probably the best power option we have. Thanks for all the updates. Wish I would have seen them earlier and knew I could watch the game. Doesn’t look like tomorrow’s Neb or NMSt games will be viewable according to GoGriz.

GrizSB playing Nebraska this a.m. in the New Mexico State Troy Cox Tourney... Grace Haegele on the mound. Good news for Griz fans: sr. cf Elise Ontivereos is in the lineup.

Montana is up 4-1 in the bottom of the 2nd inning (Montana is the home team) on two defensive errors by Nebraska.

grizzlyjournal said:
GrizSB playing Nebraska this a.m. in the New Mexico State Troy Cox Tourney... Grace Haegele on the mound. Good news for Griz fans: sr. cf Elise Ontivereos is in the lineup.

Montana is up 4-1 in the bottom of the 2nd inning (Montana is the home team) on two defensive errors by Nebraska.

Not such a good 4th.

Back