• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3 All Conference Linebackers

There's a difference between reading comp and reading one's mind. You posted typos, edits, and cryptic shit. And say what you want but the "general" tone of your post was negative and dead wrong, so I called you on it, and so did Kyle, and you've been pissing and moaning and editing ever since. So don't stop now; by all means, I know you have to have the last word.....

garizzalies said:
There's a difference between reading comp and reading one's mind. You posted typos, edits, and cryptic shit. And say what you want but the "general" tone of your post was negative and dead wrong, so I called you on it, and so did Kyle, and you've been pissing and moaning and editing ever since. So don't stop now; by all means, I know you have to have the last word.....

No, Kyle didn't call me on anything. He posted stats that I already knew. Talked to him briefly at the hoops game, by the way. The tone of my post was perfectly fine. It just had an important typo. You inadvertently pointed it out to me. I corrected it. I make a little joke, and said "ha" and "thx". You were too dumb to know what ha and thanks are. You are an idiot, in my view.

garizzalies said:

Dementia is setting in on ole' PR

I think it could be possible, if the front 4 turn in all conference type seasons. Lot easier to get TFL's and sacks when the secondary is holding up in coverage, and the front 4 is eating up all kinds of blocks, pressuring the qb out of the pocket. Lets hope!

GO GRIZ

BWahlberg said:
A lot of times conference politics seems to come into play and getting an entire starting group from a position on the 1st team doesn't happen. I think in 2013 Tripp, Coyle, and JP were split apart 1st, 2nd, 3rd (or honorable mention) team, but I'm not 100% sure - would have to go back and check. If that group didn't sweep 1st team I don't see this one doing it.

Buss has all the potential in the world to be 1st team and maybe in the talks for defensive MVP. However he's a known quantity now and teams will be keying on him. If he can fight through the attention he's going to get from opposing teams the sky is the limit.

Strahm I see as a possible 3rd/2nd team guy. Physical, imposing, hard hitting. To get the votes though he's going to have to continue to improve in pass coverage when needed and show improvement on play recognition and gap assignments, which was mostly good last year but had a few glaring mistakes to many fans eyes (cat game the prime example).

Banks. Not sure. He's a solid backer but lacks the flashy stats of takeaways, TFLs, and sacks. With the focus on stopping Buss he could have some great chances to start to get those, but time will tell.

Vika is the future of this corps but he's got 1 more year of rotation and ST duty. Maybe he could get an ST nod like Strahm did in 2015?

Also voters need to like you.

BWahlberg said:
SoldierGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
A lot of times conference politics seems to come into play and getting an entire starting group from a position on the 1st team doesn't happen. I think in 2013 Tripp, Coyle, and JP were split apart 1st, 2nd, 3rd (or honorable mention) team, but I'm not 100% sure - would have to go back and check. If that group didn't sweep 1st team I don't see this one doing it.

Buss has all the potential in the world to be 1st team and maybe in the talks for defensive MVP. However he's a known quantity now and teams will be keying on him. If he can fight through the attention he's going to get from opposing teams the sky is the limit.

Strahm I see as a possible 3rd/2nd team guy. Physical, imposing, hard hitting. To get the votes though he's going to have to continue to improve in pass coverage when needed and show improvement on play recognition and gap assignments, which was mostly good last year but had a few glaring mistakes to many fans eyes (cat game the prime example).

Banks. Not sure. He's a solid backer but lacks the flashy stats of takeaways, TFLs, and sacks. With the focus on stopping Buss he could have some great chances to start to get those, but time will tell.

Vika is the future of this corps but he's got 1 more year of rotation and ST duty. Maybe he could get an ST nod like Strahm did in 2015?

Nothing destroys "conference politics" like winning.

Conference Champs with league-leading defense might do the trick. One can hope, right?

Actually even in winning seasons we see it rear it's head. 2011 we had Tru and Roots as our two starting corners and by far the best pass coverage corners in the conference. However Tru got 1st team and Roots 2nd team. It's the way it goes and those awards, while nice, are moderately meaningless anyways.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, roots was not by far better than current professional football player TJ Lee. There are good players on other teams too, not just the griz, no matter how much you like them.

G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:
SoldierGriz said:
BWahlberg said:

Conference Champs with league-leading defense might do the trick. One can hope, right?

Actually even in winning seasons we see it rear it's head. 2011 we had Tru and Roots as our two starting corners and by far the best pass coverage corners in the conference. However Tru got 1st team and Roots 2nd team. It's the way it goes and those awards, while nice, are moderately meaningless anyways.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, roots was not by far better than current professional football player TJ Lee. There are good players on other teams too, not just the griz, no matter how much you like them.

Nice call G-Bears! Where's Roots playing these days?

G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:
SoldierGriz said:
BWahlberg said:

Nice call G-Bears! Where's Roots playing these days?

G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:
SoldierGriz said:
BWahlberg said:

TJ Lee turned out to be a better player and is now in the CFL, yep. 2011 was his sophomore year and first year starting I believe. EWU went 6-5, missed the playoffs, and Lee ended up with 48 tackles, 2 INTs, and 3 PBUs that year, also had a 1/2 tackle for a loss to his credit.

Meanwhile Roots went 51 tackles, 3 INTs, 1 forced fumble, 10 PBU's, and 5.5 TFLs for a team that (at the time) went 11-3 and won the Big Sky.

There's no denying who wound up better, but Lee's soph year vs Root's senior doesn't stack up.

BWahlberg said:
G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:
SoldierGriz said:

TJ Lee turned out to be a better player and is now in the CFL, yep. 2011 was his sophomore year and first year starting I believe. EWU went 6-5, missed the playoffs, and Lee ended up with 48 tackles, 2 INTs, and 3 PBUs that year, also had a 1/2 tackle for a loss to his credit.

Meanwhile Roots went 51 tackles, 3 INTs, 1 forced fumble, 10 PBU's, and 5.5 TFLs for a team that (at the time) went 11-3 and won the Big Sky.

There's no denying who wound up better, but Lee's soph year vs Root's senior doesn't stack up.

At any position, but especially the cornerback position stats don't tell the whole story. Shut down corners, rarely get targeted.

G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:
G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:

At any position, but especially the cornerback position stats don't tell the whole story. Shut down corners, rarely get targeted.

Roots was awesome though, it was fun watching him succeed and deal with all the extra attention handed to him with trumaine shutting down the other side of the field.

G-BEARS said:
G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:
G-BEARS said:

Roots was awesome though, it was fun watching him succeed and deal with all the extra attention handed to him with trumaine shutting down the other side of the field.

For sure, just me personally but I think 2011 Roots was better than 2011 Lee. However Lee as a player in college and professionally for sure turned out to be be better. Roots was too short to play beyond college anyways.

G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:
G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:

Agreed, but you can't use that in this situation because Lee wasn't playing opposite arguably one of the best CBs in the history of FCS like Roots was. Roots got targeted more because QBs almost literally had no choice. I'm with Brint that Roots got hosed in 2011.

1Griz_Fan said:
SeattleBobcat said:
already handing out awards before spring ball even... :lol:

As opposed to handing out conference and national championships before the season begins as some of your delusional fans do...OKAY :thumb:

+1 we can't say nice things about players. What a stupid Cat.

uofmman1122 said:
G-BEARS said:
BWahlberg said:
G-BEARS said:

Agreed, but you can't use that in this situation because Lee wasn't playing opposite arguably one of the best CBs in the history of FCS like Roots was. Roots got targeted more because QBs almost literally had no choice. I'm with Brint that Roots got hosed in 2011.

Those stats that brint posted were also over 14 games for roots and 11 for lee. Which would put Lee's numbers closer to Roots'. But none of that really matters, all I'm saying is that coaches may have looked beyond stats after going over game film they know who the standout players are. Us as fans usually see 10+ games of our own team, and 1.5 or whatever of other big sky teams. I'll take their opinions on that over our biased views, although roots was really really good that year.

Latest posts

Back