• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A Team Loss

putter said:
Griz gave up too many big plays but played hard. Tired of seeing that WR screen that got no yards...all game, not even a fake and send a receiver up field. Poly is legit and will do some damage for the rest of the year. Time to learn and move on from that horrible triple-option....

Huh? JLM took one WR screen to the house....and I believe the pump fake was a WR screen...may have been a pass into the flat tho.

PlayerRep said:
JLM is 2d in nation in receptions per game, just ahead of Kupp.

It's nice to have egriz more pleasant and not going crazy after a loss. Must be because Brint isn't posting.

Sucks to see those records broken in a loss tho....really not much for JLM or BG to celebrate...

cameo said:
I was curious about one play. Every touchdown of ours went to review before they were confirmed. The one touchdown reception of CP in the front corner of the end zone looked very questionable as it appeared the receiver's foot was out when he caught the pass. Even the announcers questioned the play. I also noticed that CP hurried to get the extra point kicked. This play was not reviewed. It may not have made a difference, but it may have resulted in a FG instead of a TD if reversed. I would have liked to have seen that play in sloMo.

His toe was out when he caught it. In fact, almost half his foot was out.

mtgrizrule said:
Thanks to my evening work schedule, I only watched 3 quarters before work.

Anyway, I watched the final quarter just now (gotta love a dvr). Going into this season, I expected the team to be 2-1, at this stage. I thought we would lose a tight one to Northern Iowa, and win tight one against Cal Poly. We always have difficulty with Poly's triple option attack. Unfortunately, this game was no exception. It really has not mattered who our DC is. That option attack is a pain in the ass!!! We struggled against it even when Hauck was coaching. Our defense was not helped at all by the offense turning the ball over to give them short fields for scores.

PR, summed it up well. This is a team loss. The offense looked much better, but turnovers are costly. Even more costly when they are deep in your own territory. So, that is 14 points on the offense. Speaking of offense, I am very encouraged by the improvement, since the UNI game. I expected this offense to be inconsistent through 5 to 6 games this season. The passing game looked terrific. We saw the offense starting to use the middle of the field a little more (still have a way to go). We are seeing the impact a go to YAC type of player, JLM does for this offense. Granted, he had a game for the ages, statistically. However, what I like even more is how his presence is helping his other WR's play roles in this offense. Justin Calhoun, Keenan Curran, Caleb Lyons are all having their development made easier because of JLM. We already know what we get from Horner.

The offense will likely use this game as a foundation. A few things need to happen to continue progressive improvement. As a whole, the WR's need to learn to create separation. They are really struggling with that. Hence, 1 of the reasons for this offense not using the long ball as much as Stitt and Gustafson would like. The sign of the timing passes sure is encouraging though. The OL has to become more consistent, in both run blocking and pass blocking. So far, Gus and the WR's do not consistently have the time to improve the deeper passing game. Also, there is very little threat of running game. Run blocking needs a lot more consistency. Right now, Calhoun is the best back for this offense, being he hits the LOS much quicker than Nguyen. To me, the reliance on JLM and the short passing game really is not all that surprising, and actually makes sense why the GRIZ are relying on it.

Considering the offense still being a work in progress, the passing numbers and Gus's performance is actually quite encouraging. Hard to believe, an offense with much to improve on can put up 40+ points and 400 plus yards. Imagine how this offense can be when they are able to use a running game and deep passes? Overall, great job by the offense. I am looking forward to watching this offense continue to add more wrinkles and become more consistent over the next 3 games.

Defensively, I am disappointed by another struggle for a GRIZ defense to better contain Poly's triple option. I am disappointed and surprised, this defense gave up big passing plays this game. That was a huge problem last season as well, even under another DC. Then again, this is an offense we very seldom see. The good news, the GRIZ will face more conventional offenses rest of the regular season. I actually like how the GRIZ defense match up against non triple option offenses. Yes, there are some great offenses in this conference, but I really am not that worried about the defense.

In my opinion, this team is headed for great things. The quicker the OL and running game can become better, the quicker this offense can begin to meet it's potential. I think this offense will have it together quite well after mid October. In the meantime, the defense needs to find it's mojo again.

Be patient, GRIZ NATION. There is a lot to like about this team, despite the loss to Poly.

That's cute. Be patient. :lol: :lol: :lol:

havgrizfan said:
Sometimes I wonder if people actually bother to actually gather the evidence they need to support their gripes, BEFORE, they gripe, or do they just post off the cuff. Because, in regards to the whole stretching the field thing, if you don't think Stitt and BG want to go down the field and go vertical, your nuts. Stitt talked about all summer long. But, there is a problem, and if you watch the games a little more closely, you'll see it. The receivers the Griz are playing are not capable of getting vertical against Big Sky/FCS caliber corners. Watch the UNI game again, watch the official game tape from today. Routes those guys on the outside are running, they are blanketed 99 percent of the time. It's the same in practice against what a few of you tonight called our horrible secondary. They don't run by our secondary in practice either. But don't just take my word for it, go watch the film.

Want to know why the Griz can't stretch the field and throw vertical right now? Cause Jamaal Jones graduated. Cause Ellis Henderson decided he just couldn't do another year of summer school to get his one more year of eligibity. He wanted to move on with his life. And cause Ben Roberts graduated too!. Stitt has said in MANY of AJ's stories he wants to throw deep, and he was quoted as saying he loves it when BG takes those shots. But, it's just not there right now with this receiver group. Not the guys on the outside. I'm not saying it will stay that way. But right now, it just isn't there.

Yeah, another team loss. Stitt is out of his league. Again. And apparently Gregorak is back.

Latest posts

Back