• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Are we EVER Going There ?

We have seen over the years some of the more competitive FCS programs move to FBS. Even some of the more recently competitive ones. I believe these institutions see the writing in the wall.
Sure many of them will not be in a power conf. However, I think they see or at least realize the move needed to be made. I think that the power conference will limit or get rid of cupcake games with FCS.
The G5 will be those warm up games in my opinion. The G5 will be wanting paydays from the power conf and I think the G5 will get rid of playing FCS as well. Especially if you think about a G5 school possibly getting into an expanded playoff. The more quality wins will aid in that.
I believe that if UM doesn’t want to get left behind again, they are going to have to be aggressive on planning. UM has invested way too much to get shuffled to the back.
If UM has zero desire to be in a G5 conference then they certainly shouldn’t plan on spending a bunch of money on athletics.
Honestly, could you imagine if say the Dakota schools all decided to go FBS / join a G5 conference.
At that point who would the FCS still really have for teams that produce? UM, MSU……

If either the MWC goes away or the PAC2 in some manner of realignment, UM, MSU, the dakotas, and a few others should form a new conference that is “FBS” to be that other west coast conference.
If the PACWest merges there’s only one FBS conference on the west coast.
Heck maybe the PAC2 gets into the Big12. Even if that happens I think UM, MSU and the Dakotas would all be wise to show interest in the MWC. At least try and get a seat at the table. That would be a pretty decent conference.
Talked to a well connected OSU booster this weekend. Sounds like the Big 12 has been in discussions with OSU and WSU about joining. The issue is that if either school joins a new league prior to 2026 they forfeit the funds they’re splitting from the PAC 12 war chest.

finally got my corn eaten so lets put some salt on the next ear.

Montana has gotten lucky over the years with quality Montana players supporting drop downs but times are changing.We are losing our players to the FBS .You can only drain the sink so much then there is no water left. We also got lucky last year getting by with a DII quaterback.Possibly we have a couple a couple good ones now but what about the future ? Are we gonna play portal poker and hope we can draw a good hand or are we gonna move up and recruit better quality players and better quality teams?
UM isn’t losing many players to portal. And UM is gaining many good players from portal. A net positive. Looks like a big net positive right now.

A D2 qb? Huh?

A move up would be costly and might not yield enough better players to offset the increase in competition. Nor is a move up realistic.

I’m happy with being in the FCS for now. I like the format they use for the playoffs. If everyone started moving up, we would end with about a 100 bowl games at the end of the year, not what I would like to see.Just my opinion
The problem is that it is not feasible or really financially viable anymore.

DII QB =Mcdowell. No we have not lost many in the portal but rather out of high school in Montana. Some of the quality players do not want to play in the FCS.We lost a damm good punter to Nebraska.The fact is the players we gained in the portal are drop downs from the FBS level.

DII QB =Mcdowell. No we have not lost many in the portal but rather out of high school in Montana. Some of the quality players do not want to play in the FCS.We lost a damm good punter to Nebraska.The fact is the players we gained in the portal are drop downs from the FBS level.

Just curious... what makes one a "DII QB" vs an "FCS QB" when said QB went undefeated except for the last game and led the team all the way to the program's first National Championship since 2009?

Just curious... what makes one a "DII QB" vs an "FCS QB" when said QB went undefeated except for the last game and led the team all the way to the program's first National Championship since 2009?
He did not lead anyone.He was all about himself.Nobody wanted him in the FBS or FCS except possibly a couple of the worst teams in the league.He's lucky he still playing.He is toast after this year.

He did not lead anyone.He was all about himself.Nobody wanted him in the FBS or FCS except possibly a couple of the worst teams in the league.He's lucky he still playing.He is toast after this year.
It is tough for me to accept your premise that nobody wanted him when he had multiple offers from FCS schools. He is clearly an FCS level QB, because he he started for the national runner up, and he was then picked up by an FBS team. You're welcome to your opinion, but current coaches don't seem to view him as DII.

And he is toast after this year because he will have finished his career, so you're right, but that isn't really a knock on him at all.

Yea, we seem to have entered into a REALLY weird territory where now if we don't win a national championship, suddenly the QB is DII level, the defense doesn't work, and the coaches all suck. There can only be one national championship every year. If you are making it to the semis and the finals, you had a damn good year, by definition.

Yea, we seem to have entered into a REALLY weird territory where now if we don't win a national championship, suddenly the QB is DII level, the defense doesn't work, and the coaches all suck. There can only be one national championship every year. If you are making it to the semis and the finals, you had a damn good year, by definition.
He’s only DII talent because he left. 🙄 He didn’t play for the right high school and not enough people know his parents, so he’s selfish. If he was a good Montana kid he’d be thanked and being wished good luck after looking out for himself.

In regards toward your last sentence, I think it all depends on the teams expectations.

I would be willing to bet that if you ask any player from sdsu and ndsu going into last year if they didn't make it to the national championship game, they wouldn't call it a damn good year

The same will be said for both this upcoming year, if either loses in the semis or is national champion runner up its a disappointment.

He’s only DII talent because he left. 🙄 He didn’t play for the right high school and not enough people know his parents, so he’s selfish. If he was a good Montana kid he’d be thanked and being wished good luck after looking out for himself.
I never said that.It is your opinion.

It is tough for me to accept your premise that nobody wanted him when he had multiple offers from FCS schools. He is clearly an FCS level QB, because he he started for the national runner up, and he was then picked up by an FBS team. You're welcome to your opinion, but current coaches don't seem to view him as DII.

And he is toast after this year because he will have finished his career, so you're right, but that isn't really a knock on him at all.
The schools that wanted him are the bottom of the FBS and should be playing D2.Nobody that was ANY quality of a team wanted him.He thinks he is NFL talent whcih he is no where close.

The schools that wanted him are the bottom of the FBS and should be playing D2.Nobody that was ANY quality of a team wanted him.He thinks he is NFL talent whcih he is no where close.
I don't believe he thinks he is an NFL talent, but I'm not besties with him. Honestly man, I think you're making a lot of assumptions there.

You can say that you personally think that Temple and McNeese should be playing DII, but they are an FBS or FCS team with the requisite number of scholarships. Junior Bergen was HUGELY important. One of the best playoff runs of any Griz, ever. But the most important position on offense is the QB, starting every play and running the show. Clif did that, all the way to Frisco. I'm hoping we got better at QB for this upcoming year, of course, but I will never stop giving Big Clif credit for what he did with the Griz after the NAU game. After that game, Bobby Hauck said in his press conference we just weren't as good as we had been the year before at that time. What changed after that? Clif. The guy who showed up on campus and volunteered to return kicks as the QB, because he wanted to prove how bad he wanted it. I've been a fan of his ever since that moment in fall camp.

I never said that.It is your opinion.

Duh. That's why I wrote it. Everybody with a brain knows he would be thought of differently by many Griz fans had he been born and raised in the "right" place. We literally lost a kid who reportedly bailed because he didn't want to play where the coaches wanted him, and many people are all, "Aww, good luck to him. I hope he does well." Clif tries to go FBS, and it's, "What a quitter. He wasn't good anyway."

That's another thing: Anyone who thinks Temple or NMSU aren't "upgrades" should maybe zoom out a bit. It's not always about attendance and W/L records. It could be about players getting a chance to play a sport at the highest subdivision against the highest competition they can.

Back