• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Can someone please help me understand this?

GrizMusician

I am graduating college in December, and have received my first offer that I am excited about. The area is nice, the job is in my field, and the job pays well, but my housing options are limited because of my salary.

I am discovering that due to the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program, I make too much to live in many of these nicer looking places. The difference between the LIHTC housing and the non-LIHTC housing is almost a grand in most cases, and the places that I can afford are sh*tholes. Yes, you read that right... I will be making too much to live in a decent place.

What. The. Hell? :?

Have you talked to a lender out there? In Montana there's grant-based loan programs that serve as gap loans for certain income-qualifying buyers. I would assume Colorado would have something like that. Another idea is "RD" (rural development) financing that could help too, but you'd have to be outside of city limits.

BWahlberg said:
Have you talked to a lender out there? In Montana there's grant-based loan programs that serve as gap loans for certain income-qualifying buyers. I would assume Colorado would have something like that. Another idea is "RD" (rural development) financing that could help too, but you'd have to be outside of city limits.

Not necessarily. It could be a suburb development and qualify for RD. I have an RD loan and live in a newer sub division on the west end of Kalispell.

Any lender down there will be a far better resource as they will know what the best available options are.

Go to no less than 4 lenders and no more than 7 (for some stupid reason that many inquiries into your credit knocks down your credit) and get them to quote you a pre qualified package.

Don't put the cart before the horse. Get pre qualified then go shopping.

That's my .02

LongTimeCatFan said:
BWahlberg said:

Not necessarily. It could be a suburb development and qualify for RD. I have an RD loan and live in a newer sub division on the west end of Kalispell.

Any lender down there will be a far better resource as they will know what the best available options are.

Go to no less than 4 lenders and no more than 7 (for some stupid reason that many inquiries into your credit knocks down your credit) and get them to quote you a pre qualified package.

That's my .02

I'd say chat with 3 or 4 lenders for sure and then apply with just 1 for a single credit check. From there you'll know your FICO score, your debt to income, and a comfortable payment range. You can discuss that with other lenders without having to do multiple full applications.

LTCF is right - for example East Missoula, Frenchtown, Lolo, and the entire Bitterroot Valley, in town or out of town qualifies for RD, so it doesn't necessarily have to be "rural" by what a normal expectation would be.

Also when chatting with lenders I see these assumptions a lot.

1. If you have a checking/savings account with a big national/regional bank they'll give you the best deal. That's not true. All banks and mortgage companies build their lending guidelines to national standards for the loan programs they offer. Some might give you better fees than others but I've never really seen borrowers get "good deals" because they have checking/savings/or credit accounts with a certain bank.

2. Local credit unions give the best deals. They can, I'm not saying they don't, but I've seen people make this assumption to only find out that's not the case. I can only speak for ones I've worked with locally but many times I've seen credit unions have limited programs for borrowers.

3. Every mortgage company is the same and offers the same programs. Totally wrong assumption. You have credit unions, local/regional banks, big national banks, and mortgage companies/brokers. They all can have access to slightly different programs and have some different pricing too. In other cases some might be able to reduce their fees if you negotiate with them a bit, while others cannot. In even further cases some might have guarantees for closing dates and assurances for housing if the closing is delayed by financing. That's why it's good to ask around and talk to a wide group.

4. Not an assumption but a good thing to find out from the mortgage companies you talk to is this, where are the mortgage underwriting decisions made? "Underwriting" as it's referred to is the background checker who pours over your full application, the appraisal, and any other details they see fit. Some companies have local or regional underwriters and others (usually big banks) have larger underwriting centers that are out of state. This can be good and bad both ways. I've found having a "nearby" underwriter helps get answers quickly and you can go direct to the source (or your lender can). While the big guys sometimes see their underwriting get bogged down because they're waiting in line in some underwriting clearing house in Colorado, Oregon, or Florida. Knowing where the underwriters are helps b/c if they're on the east coast and you're on a deadline you know their business day is probably going to end 2 hours before yours does. Not all big banks have issues with underwriting though, many times it's a smooth process - but it's good to ask about that and get the lenders honest opinion on it.

LongTimeCatFan said:
BWahlberg said:

That's my .02
You live in Kalispell huh? I actually happen to be in Kalispell right now.

jcu27 said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
BWahlberg said:

That's my .02

Lots of people live in Kalispell bro.

LongTimeCatFan said:
jcu27 said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
BWahlberg said:

That's my .02

WTF? This is creepy! Go back to the oil/wheat field, JCU!

Real estate is the best investment you can make, as long as you buy in the right neighborhood. You can find out your FICO score online for a small price. Do it. Then shop for lenders. If you like to have your hand held, do it in person. If not, do it online. If you don't qualify for decent rates, no shame in renting while you improve your credit score. Be strong. Life is good. Find a good woman to share it with.

Ursa Major said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
jcu27 said:
LongTimeCatFan said:

That's my .02

Na what's creepy is 90% of the people in Kalispell. Bunch of fuckin weirdos

Wow. Thank you everyone for the insightful replies! I'm not entirely sure if I am ready to buy yet, but it is something I am definitely considering if decent one bedroom apartments are going for $1500/mo. I would much rather invest in something tangible instead of pissing away a ton of money every month.

If I receive this offer, I will likely be living in the Vail/Frisco/Silverthorne/Dillon area. It is a fantastic area for sure, but jeeeeez... rent is a heck of a lot more expensive than this Butte boy is used to.

GrizMusician said:
but jeeeeez... rent is a heck of a lot more expensive than this Butte boy is used to.

Yes it is. My son recently moved to Denver and is paying $1200 a month for a 750 sq ft one bedroom apt.

Hammer said:
GrizMusician said:
but jeeeeez... rent is a heck of a lot more expensive than this Butte boy is used to.

Yes it is. My son recently moved to Denver and is paying $1200 a month for a 750 sq ft one bedroom apt.
Sad thing is... That doesn't seem too bad when considering what I have been looking at!

LongTimeCatFan said:
jcu27 said:
Ursa Major said:
LongTimeCatFan said:

Na what's creepy is 90% of the people in Kalispell. Bunch of f***[*] weirdos

Never seen so many guns huh? Yep, everybody's packin'
Lol see more guns in lewistown. Never seen so many emos/homeless/ fat ppl

Back