• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching Carosel

Bear Pause said:
Griz66 said:
I have said on several other threads that I have grave concerns with the direction Griz football is going. Unfortunately I well remember the days in the 60's when two Presidents (Newbun and Johns) deemphasized athletics and the result was disastrous The potential for the same scenario is now upon us. HC who is a great guy but at age 70+ has no business in the world coaching. Then a President and a certain Board Of Regents member who are bent on controlling things and showing that athletics are not important. Things are not going to get better for a period of time and I think that is the plan, otherwise Delaney would never have been named HC. MSU is quickly passing us in football and if we are not careful, they will do the same in other athletics, then academics and finally overall prestige. MSU has a very aggressive and progressive leader who clearly understands the importance of athletics while at the same time stressing academics and building.(just think a business school to compete with UM) I remain confident that things will eventually improve but it is going to be awhile and we also need to get some new blood on campus. Think about it President was inside hire as was AD and so was Delaney--is there a message or pattern here? Hang in there everyone but prepare yoursleves for a wild ride.

Great analysis of what is happening at UM, and also at MSU. UM has been falling behind MSU for several years now with regards to developing the university as a partner for business development in the Bozeman area. Bozeman is a hotbed now for emerging businesses, while UM languishes under the left-wing "no growth" philosophy prevalent in our liberal city. While many in Missoulians drive around with "Co-exist" and "Celebrate Diversity" bumper stickers, Bozeman is exploding with new high-paying employment opportunities. While we proudly proclaim that we are the transient capital of the Northwest, Bozeman prospers.

It is no shock to me that UM's fall enrollment went down for the first time in many years, while MSU's skyrocketed.

Engstrom seems clueless to the marketing power that the Grizzly football brings both to the university itself, and the Missoula community. It is the #1 force in promoting these two entities. But he does not get it. He fits right with the liberal left-wing philosophy embraced by this community.

He has to go. If not, MSU will continue to prosper, while UM continues its downward spiral.

And, Haslam is not the answer as AD. He is a puppet, not good enough to run the second rate athletic program at Northern Arizona, but good enough to run ours? Please.

Sounds like maybe you should switch allegiance and move to Bozeman? http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ursa Major said:
Bear Pause said:
Griz66 said:
I have said on several other threads that I have grave concerns with the direction Griz football is going. Unfortunately I well remember the days in the 60's when two Presidents (Newbun and Johns) deemphasized athletics and the result was disastrous The potential for the same scenario is now upon us. HC who is a great guy but at age 70+ has no business in the world coaching. Then a President and a certain Board Of Regents member who are bent on controlling things and showing that athletics are not important. Things are not going to get better for a period of time and I think that is the plan, otherwise Delaney would never have been named HC. MSU is quickly passing us in football and if we are not careful, they will do the same in other athletics, then academics and finally overall prestige. MSU has a very aggressive and progressive leader who clearly understands the importance of athletics while at the same time stressing academics and building.(just think a business school to compete with UM) I remain confident that things will eventually improve but it is going to be awhile and we also need to get some new blood on campus. Think about it President was inside hire as was AD and so was Delaney--is there a message or pattern here? Hang in there everyone but prepare yoursleves for a wild ride.

Great analysis of what is happening at UM, and also at MSU. UM has been falling behind MSU for several years now with regards to developing the university as a partner for business development in the Bozeman area. Bozeman is a hotbed now for emerging businesses, while UM languishes under the left-wing "no growth" philosophy prevalent in our liberal city. While many in Missoulians drive around with "Co-exist" and "Celebrate Diversity" bumper stickers, Bozeman is exploding with new high-paying employment opportunities. While we proudly proclaim that we are the transient capital of the Northwest, Bozeman prospers.

It is no shock to me that UM's fall enrollment went down for the first time in many years, while MSU's skyrocketed.

Engstrom seems clueless to the marketing power that the Grizzly football brings both to the university itself, and the Missoula community. It is the #1 force in promoting these two entities. But he does not get it. He fits right with the liberal left-wing philosophy embraced by this community.

He has to go. If not, MSU will continue to prosper, while UM continues its downward spiral.

And, Haslam is not the answer as AD. He is a puppet, not good enough to run the second rate athletic program at Northern Arizona, but good enough to run ours? Please.

Sounds like maybe you should switch allegiance and move to Bozeman? http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No. Perhaps you need to get a clue and remove your maroon-colored glasses. As Jack once said "you can't handle the truth!"

Bear Pause said:
Griz66 said:

you keep bragging how you are so tight with all the UM Presidents and can make things happen with a phone call. OBVIOUSLY that was total bullshit, just like all the other bragging you have done under countless stupid ass screen names. You are such a tool Steve Dill, and EVERYONE knows it. Why don't you run down to a bar, rent a bartender to pretend to be your friend, have him give your short fat self a boost onto a stool so you can piss away money in a keno machine while drinking PBR. :loser:

Griz66 said:

Your history is a bit off...... Everyone including (and especially including) the students who de-funded athletics had had enough (along with the 60's version of NCAA an Feds) of a program who couldn't tell the difference between a Dog and a dogs tail.

Bear Pause said:
Ursa Major said:
Bear Pause said:
Griz66 said:

No. Perhaps you need to get a clue and remove your maroon-colored glasses. As Jack once said "you can't handle the truth!"

I didn't realize that you and PR were so close :eek:

Griz66 said:
Your definition of an inside hire is comical. Engstrom had never set foot on the UM campus prior to his recuitment for the provost position in 2008. UM used a very common tactic to hire a potential candidate for the pending president position to be able to see him in action. Engstrom did nothing as provost to convince them he was not the right candidate for the job; we need to see more time and data to judge him; this has not been a normal two year start for a president. We do have to acknowledge that the University enrollment is 54% female and has a substantial female faculty with considerable power.

UM would be wise to use the same tactic to fill the open OC position (from outside). It would be a great opportunity to get an aspiring offensive mind that is close to ready to be a HC. Should he then get the job, I suspect you would call that an inside hire. I do not see a current internal candidate for the OC job and if they promote from within for that position, I will be in your camp; it would be a travesty. I doubt Rosenbach would have moved on had he thought he was a candidate for the HC job next year.

Haslam' case is hardly different; his experience at Montana is only a fraction of his career, which is amazingly diverse. He impressed at every step within Montana and emerged as the winning candidate among several outsiders. I have talked with him and he has responded well to some very tough questions; I am very impressed and believe we are lucky to have him. He is capable of finding the balance of working his agenda within the framework of a controlling boss, a task not for the meek.

If you like scorecards, compare the success rate of inside coaching hires (Dennehy, Glenn, Hauck, Krysko, Tinkle, Phlugrad) to outside hires (Read, Kennedy). It's about 90% for the former and 50% for the latter, so it escapes me that you have such a hard on for a good succession plan that produces great internal candidates. When it doesn't produce, you are forced to take the risk of going outside. Which pathway do most successful companies follow? With the firing of Pflugrad, UM had no choice; they could not have successfully recruited a HC in April. Delaney was a forced hire, not a selected hire. I trust the next HC will be a selected hire and I hope our new OC is a primary candidate.

I see Pease in on the list for some of the big jobs.

http://tinyurl.com/cftd9vg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grizbacker1 said:
Bear Pause said:
Griz66 said:

you keep bragging how you are so tight with all the UM Presidents and can make things happen with a phone call. OBVIOUSLY that was total bullshit, just like all the other bragging you have done under countless stupid ass screen names. You are such a tool Steve Dill, and EVERYONE knows it. Why don't you run down to a bar, rent a bartender to pretend to be your friend, have him give your short fat self a boost onto a stool so you can piss away money in a keno machine while drinking PBR. :loser:

I agree with GB1 1000%. Don't call him a loser though GB1 because that is sophomoric name calling. I made the mistake of calling him an idiot. :roll:

kemajic said:
Griz66 said:
Your definition of an inside hire is comical. Engstrom had never set foot on the UM campus prior to his recuitment for the provost position in 2008. UM used a very common tactic to hire a potential candidate for the pending president position to be able to see him in action. Engstrom did nothing as provost to convince them he was not the right candidate for the job; we need to see more time and data to judge him; this has not been a normal two year start for a president. We do have to acknowledge that the University enrollment is 54% female and has a substantial female faculty with considerable power.

UM would be wise to use the same tactic to fill the open OC position (from outside). It would be a great opportunity to get an aspiring offensive mind that is close to ready to be a HC. Should he then get the job, I suspect you would call that an inside hire. I do not see a current internal candidate for the OC job and if they promote from within for that position, I will be in your camp; it would be a travesty. I doubt Rosenbach would have moved on had he thought he was a candidate for the HC job next year.

Haslam' case is hardly different; his experience at Montana is only a fraction of his career, which is amazingly diverse. He impressed at every step within Montana and emerged as the winning candidate among several outsiders. I have talked with him and he has responded well to some very tough questions; I am very impressed and believe we are lucky to have him. He is capable of finding the balance of working his agenda within the framework of a controlling boss, a task not for the meek.

If you like scorecards, compare the success rate of inside coaching hires (Dennehy, Glenn, Hauck, Krysko, Tinkle, Phlugrad) to outside hires (Read, Kennedy). It's about 90% for the former and 50% for the latter, so it escapes me that you have such a hard on for a good succession plan that produces great internal candidates. When it doesn't produce, you are forced to take the risk of going outside. Which pathway do most successful companies follow? With the firing of Pflugrad, UM had no choice; they could not have successfully recruited a HC in April. Delaney was a forced hire, not a selected hire. I trust the next HC will be a selected hire and I hope our new OC is a primary candidate.

Good post.

BigPawzSharpClawz said:
It may not be the head guy but all of these coaches have fine assistants that will be looking for a work. A quality FCS program like Montana will draw strong interest if positioned correctly by the AD & President.

Gene Chiznick - Auburn
Frank Spaziani - Boston College
Jeff Tedford - California
John Embry - Colorado
Danny Hope - Purdue
Tom O'Brien - NC State
Derek Dooley - Tennessee
Not to mention, Akey, Cubit, JL Smith & Joker Philips!

"The Pride & Tradition of the Montana Grizzlies will not be entrusted to the timid or the weak!" This includes our administration. So, get to work gentlemen. Show Griz Nation that you can be entrusted with the Golden Goose of the University.

Go Griz

Just out of curiosity, how many current head coaches at successful FCS schools were in their last jobs Coordiators at BCS schools, like Purdue, NC State, Auburn or Cal. You're almost guaranteed to be looking at a Bobby Hauck type.
The only coordinator I can think of is former Richmond Spiders coach Mike London, who immediately returned to FBS after defeating the Griz for the national championship.

It's a nice list of names, but really not practical considering where FCS coaches come from.

Read the Criteria (carefully): It may not be the head guy but all of these coaches have fine assistants that will be looking for a work. A quality FCS program like Montana will draw strong interest if positioned correctly by the AD & President.

Get it? I am hoepful that one of the fine "assistants/position coaches and/or coordinator" will see UM as a great opportunity. There are already too many people who keep throwing out pipe-dreams for candidates (Pease, Petrino, Dickenson et al), I am suggesting the opposite as this HC position is and always will be a stepping stone job until another Pflu minded guy comes along who wants to stay here indefinitely.

Go Griz

kemajic said:
Griz66 said:

Yessir..everything is perfect at UM...except for declining enrollment, lowered expectations, poor salaries that are barely competitive with institutions that were once considered not in the same tier as UM..but, hey, we have a great history.

Ursa Major said:
Bear Pause said:
Ursa Major said:

I didn't realize that you and PR were so close :eek:

Don't get out of Montana much, huh?

kemajic said:
Griz66 said:

What is comical is that you select the inside hires you want to support your "90% success rate". Did you conveniently forget Holst? And I would argue that Hauck and Pflu were not successes. Hauck started the culture of doom and Pflu kept it going, leading to the NCCA investigation and general mess we are in today. You also forgot about O'Day, who presided over this mess while patting his buddies on the back while it all transpired. Pflu and O'Day did not get fired without cause. You obviously do not know the inside info as to why they were abruptly terminated a week before spring ball. It wasn't because they wore tidy whities instead of briefs, I assure you of that.

Griz66's post was accurate and on the money. Too many of you posters still don't get it. You knew O'Day and Pflu personally, so you continue to support them even when they blew up this program. Maybe someday you will get it.

Rumor has it that Bobby Petrino was spotted around town today. May or may not have anything to do with coaching, however, as he has family ties here.

Bear Pause said:
kemajic said:
Griz66 said:

What is comical is that you select the inside hires you want to support your "90% success rate". Did you conveniently forget Holst? And I would argue that Hauck and Pflu were not successes. Hauck started the culture of doom and Pflu kept it going, leading to the NCCA investigation and general mess we are in today. You also forgot about O'Day, who presided over this mess while patting his buddies on the back while it all transpired. Pflu and O'Day did not get fired without cause. You obviously do not know the inside info as to why they were abruptly terminated a week before spring ball. It wasn't because they wore tidy whities instead of briefs, I assure you of that.

Griz66's post was accurate and on the money. Too many of you posters still don't get it. You knew O'Day and Pflu personally, so you continue to support them even when they blew up this program. Maybe someday you will get it.

Holst...the tool that has been fired from 5 jobs in 10 years. he is almost as big of a joke as you are Dill

AllWeatherFan said:
Rumor has it that Bobby Petrino was spotted around town today. May or may not have anything to do with coaching, however, as he has family ties here.

Oh Geezuz... here we go... :roll:

poorgriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:

One hire that could make me sever all ties to UM........ (Not that it has ANY chance of happening)

Webster Definition of Ass-Wipe - Bobby Petrino

grizpack said:
poorgriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:

One hire that could make me sever all ties to UM........ (Not that it has ANY chance of happening)

59b.jpg

grizcountry420 said:
grizpack said:
poorgriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Used asswipe at that...

Back