• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

College Sports Madness top 44 FCS

Please note:

Madness 2014 FCS Football Recruit Rankings:
#65 A.J. Hotchkins

They list AJ as the #65 recruit in FCS last year. He was an early commit for UM that backed out way before signing day.

Shows you they don't pay too much attention to details.

alabamagrizzly said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
alabamagrizzly said:
#5 Montana
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/9665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody on this board follow these guys? I think a couple of us do. I know alot of us just like to come here and talk about how bad we suck. Well we don't. Atleast most people outside of eGriz think so. Y'all know the deal.

Great QB, great RB's, and great WR's. Super huge questions on the O line.

Best D line in the con, gonna be the best LB'er core in the con by next year, and a good core of battle tested DB's.

Kicking game; ugh. Coaches; this year to prove themselves.

I honestly beleive we have national title hopes if our O line comes together. I'm sure some of you disagree.

I think you spilled some kool-aid on your rose-colored glasses! Sugar-coater... :p :p :p
Call em as you see em but ill tell you I ain't drank no kool aid through my blue stained lips.

I agree with Alabama. If the O-line improves and the defense gets better at third down, they will go a long ways and have a legitimate chance of a championship. Talent is all around this team. They have the right attitude, talent and leadership to be special. Now they just need a few things to fall into place. The only injury that concerns me at this point is Poole's back. At some point soon we'll get back Schmaing, Henderson may or may not play but there is lots of talent stepping up at WR in addition to Jones, and all other injuries appear to be mostly minor.

It looks like coach Ron Ash isn't the only Montana coach getting his name wrong by the media.

"The defense is going to take a step back, but it may not be as bad as it seems. Coach Mike Delaney has talent around that should be able to fill the holes. And the offense is going to be improved to help cover any problems the defense may have. However, turnovers will be key for this squad. Having the second best turnover margin in the nation is not an easy feat to repeat and the new look defense needs to find new players who can make things happen just as effectively as the departed linebackers."

go96griz said:
Please note:

Madness 2014 FCS Football Recruit Rankings:
#65 A.J. Hotchkins

They list AJ as the #65 recruit in FCS last year. He was an early commit for UM that backed out way before signing day.

Shows you they don't pay too much attention to details.
I was pretty disappointed in this. I thought they had done very well in analyzing each team and I noticed the noteable recruits early in the poll and was excited to see who they listed for us. When I noticed AJ's name up there, lets just say their recruit lists lost all credibility.

1Griz_Fan said:
It looks like coach Ron Ash isn't the only Montana coach getting his name wrong by the media.

"The defense is going to take a step back, but it may not be as bad as it seems. Coach Mike Delaney has talent around that should be able to fill the holes. And the offense is going to be improved to help cover any problems the defense may have. However, turnovers will be key for this squad. Having the second best turnover margin in the nation is not an easy feat to repeat and the new look defense needs to find new players who can make things happen just as effectively as the departed linebackers."

I sure hope the defense doesn't take a step back. Despite all of the talent, last year's defense was average at best. In some games (EWU and CC) they were down right bad. I hope they take a step forward...

ranco said:
1Griz_Fan said:

I sure hope the defense doesn't take a step back. Despite all of the talent, last year's defense was average at best. In some games (EWU and CC) they were down right bad. I hope they take a step forward...
Here's the numbers. Way better the 2012 but not championship form.
Rushing Defense: 143.3 (ranked 40th nationally, 4th in con)
Pass Defense: 237.7 (87th, 8th)
Total Defense: 381.0 (56th, 5th)
Scoring Defense: 22.9 (28th, 4th)
Turnover Margin: 1.40 (2nd, 1st)
Sacks: 2.23 (48th, 3rd)

#4 New Hampshire
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/9671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Played these guys in our playoff run in 2004 before our eventual loss to JMU in the natty. Beat em pretty good 47-17 in Missoula. Last year they made it to the semis before finishing the year as another skid mark in the wake of No Dak St. This year they look to make another run at the title.

The O returns eight starters including two QB's with significant starting time, a 1000 yard rusher and receiver, one of the best TE's in the FCS and four lineman. They were already one of the best O's last year and should be even better this year.

The D returns their best two D lineman, the top two LB'ers, both safety's and a corner. Statistically they wernt at the bottom but they wasn't real good either. With all the returning expierience they should be better but if they want to win it all, they're gonna have to be great.

alabamagrizzly said:
Here's the numbers. Way better the 2012 but not championship form.
Rushing Defense: 143.3 (ranked 40th nationally, 4th in con)
Pass Defense: 237.7 (87th, 8th)
Total Defense: 381.0 (56th, 5th)
Scoring Defense: 22.9 (28th, 4th)
Turnover Margin: 1.40 (2nd, 1st)
Sacks: 2.23 (48th, 3rd
)

Love those two numbers. Ramp up the sacks # a bit more and we'll be fine defensively.

#3 North Dakota State
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/9677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if anyone's heard of these guys but I guess they've been pretty good. Luckily for them they never had to play us in their recent playoff success. :D We have played four other times with Montana's last victory coming in 1914 in Missoula so we're a little overdue. Of course everyone remembers their upset of us in 2003 and not to take anything away from them but we did also lose to Idaho State, Montana State, and Western Illinois in the first round of the playoffs in Missoula. 2003 was just not a good year at all. The other two times we met were in 1969 and 1970 in the Camellia Bowl which was considered the D-2 championship. A little known fact that I'm sure all No Dak St fans choose to forget is that Montanas success those two years(10-0 both years going into the game) was based off alot of JC transfers. In those days JC transfers were not allowed to play in bowl games per NCAA rules which handicapped us greatly. We ended up losing both games by a combined score of 61-19. Oh well, that's in the past and it's time for 2014.

This years No Dak St team might have a tuffer time of making it four in a row( beating us and winning the natty). They start with a new coach that coaches with the basic same philosophy as the last. On O they have to replace their starting QB, four O lineman and the RB although the new RB also ran for a 1000 yards and 11 td's last year.

The D will have seven returning starters including a talented DE, two great LB's, both safety's and a corner. The positions they are replacing are thin on expierience but they have solid pieces in place to build around.

Hopefully this year we can return the favor and win one on the road. We may end up meeting again in the post season though and they will be a better team then we'll see in week four.

Back