• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference tournament

The season has mercifully come to an end. Hopefully by Monday we hear something from Haslam
Not sure we should expect to hear that soon. I don’t know how these things usually work but I’d assume the first we’ll hear is that Mel’s contract won’t be renewed whenever it expires. When do the softball coaches contracts usually run through?

Not sure we should expect to hear that soon. I don’t know how these things usually work but I’d assume the first we’ll hear is that Mel’s contract won’t be renewed whenever it expires. When do the softball coaches contracts usually run through?
My guess is June 30, but if Haslam chooses to move on from her, they’ll wanna get a move on with the search right away since there is a fall season and exhibition games so you don’t wanna drag it out too long over Summer. It may not be Monday, but if they decide to let her go I would imagine we will hear something very soon.

My guess is June 30, but if Haslam chooses to move on from her, they’ll wanna get a move on with the search right away since there is a fall season and exhibition games so you don’t wanna drag it out too long over Summer. It may not be Monday, but if they decide to let her go I would imagine we will hear something very soon.
My hope is Haslem already has a list 10 deep of replacements and behind closed doors he’ll have that set in place. June 30th is definitely too late to start looking for a replacement.

I'm a one sport fan, so pardon my ignorance, at least in this matter, but I thought Griz Softball was a world beater. What happened?

My hope is Haslem already has a list 10 deep of replacements and behind closed doors he’ll have that set in place. June 30th is definitely too late to start looking for a replacement.
For sure - however, June 30 is the end of the University's fiscal year - so if there were to be a non-renewal, we may not hear anything about it until closer to that date.

I'm a one sport fan, so pardon my ignorance, at least in this matter, but I thought Griz Softball was a world beater. What happened?
There is a long answer that is more complex and a much shorter one...

I'll give you a longer short answer.

Program and the staff themselves were given a bit of a stacked deck for a few years to work from and with. The outcome was a product on the field that was increasingly not competitive. They recruited high quality and high character players, but all too commonly they were over-matched at the plate and on the mound.

The result is a program that has suffered through two brutal campaigns. Last years was influenced by an avalanche of injuries to the pitching staff, and this year despite influx of better talent in a few places they couldn't overcome inadequacies on the roster (primarily on the mound).

I wanted the staff to succeed because I know somewhat first hand how hard they worked and secondarily how hard the young women worked to put an improved product on the field. Just didn't happen in any way shape or form this conference season. I would say they were a more complete unit than a year ago but when push came to shove the results were worse.

I suspect we'll hear something in a week or so about the future of the staff. I don't know anything first hand or nor do I have any concrete details.

And, thank you 'bama. I didn't know there was a coaching change. Details, details, details. Told ya I was a one sport fan.

Back