• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dahlberg renovation

IdahoGrizFan and others

Would you people please stop rewriting history? The Zoo didn't get eliminated or "sidelined." The Zoo died a natural death as students gradually stopped coming to games. Eventually there were virtually no students on the "student side" and the townies buying the cheapie upper end zone tickets figured out that they could simply walk into that section and have the best seats in the house.

Rather than have the people with the cheapest tickets having the best seats in the fieldhouse, administration decided to sell those to the highest bidder and put the students in the lower end zone.

The result is that the lower east side is about half full for a typical game while there are still virtually no students in the lower north end zone - which, folks, ain't a bad seat.

And Title IX won't let you do different seating for the womens games - can you imagine the lower east side with 6 students sitting there. I'll bet you that on the typical game night, there aren't 100 students at a men's game and not 20 at a women's game. The average would be higher due to Griz-Cat which is packed, but the typical game still has nearly no student attendance. That isn't because of the seating - it is because students think they have other things to do.

We are starting to see a similar phenomenon at Griz football games.

I don't know what to do about the student attendance issue - paying them to come doesn't seem to work. It certainly isn't a seating issue.

But, please, acknowledge that the Zoo died long long before the seating was moved. The seating move didn't kill the Zoo - that is an eGriz urban myth.

But, please, acknowledge that the Zoo died long long before the seating was moved. The seating move didn't kill the Zoo - that is an eGriz urban myth.

So I googled that at the Snopes site and it said it was TRUE and not an urban myth. I also watched an episode of myth busters that took a thriving student section and then did a renovation to the stadium and guess what happened? The students all took up bowling.

Just messing with you.... I can, however, take pride that I was part of the Zoo when it actually made a difference in the games and we were loud and proud and some times out of line.

One thing for sure: Engellant is a big fan of the idea of moving the students back to side court in Dahlberg Arena and trying to recreate the old Zoo atmosphere.

"I think it's a great idea," Engellant said. "I really was surprised they had done that (moved the students out) and I know the reasons they do it. But when they built that whole arena I guess I was skeptical.

"That (students at side court) was a huge advantage for us," he elaborated. "Even when they introduced our team and we could go over there and slap five to all the football players who were down there supporting us and standing up.

"The other team would take the ball out of bounds and they'd be screaming in their ear. You talk about a sixth man. That was huge for us. You get the students there and it actually becomes a participatory sport because they will stand.

"I would tell you that we probably wouldn't have had the record we had at home if we didn't have the support of those students at courtside."

Engellant: Team was most important thing

By BILL SCHWANKE of Missoulian.com

Sorry I had to post this.....

IdahoGrizFan said:
One thing for sure: Engellant is a big fan of the idea of moving the students back to side court in Dahlberg Arena and trying to recreate the old Zoo atmosphere.

"I think it's a great idea," Engellant said. "I really was surprised they had done that (moved the students out) and I know the reasons they do it. But when they built that whole arena I guess I was skeptical.

"That (students at side court) was a huge advantage for us," he elaborated. "Even when they introduced our team and we could go over there and slap five to all the football players who were down there supporting us and standing up.

"The other team would take the ball out of bounds and they'd be screaming in their ear. You talk about a sixth man. That was huge for us. You get the students there and it actually becomes a participatory sport because they will stand.

"I would tell you that we probably wouldn't have had the record we had at home if we didn't have the support of those students at courtside."

Engellant: Team was most important thing

By BILL SCHWANKE of Missoulian.com

Sorry I had to post this.....

And I was there, at least an hour before the game to get a good seat.
Hard to believe that the spud players didn't know that about their girl friends. Only doing our part in the pre-social media days.

Back