• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DeCuire's View of Minor Scuffle Last Night

The bottom line is there is a shortage of refs nationwide. Our least crappy refs move up to the PAC12 because they can't find anyone either. Pay isn't good enough to attract great candidates anymore. Our league championship moving around to non-member schools is idiotic and has cost way more money than the airfare savings for sure.

What should bother UM fans more than bad ref calls is how the Griz nearly self destructed after the referee decision. They not only lost momentum, they played poorly and out of sync for the next 4 or 5 minutes allowing NoCol to make this game closer than it was.

The fact that they won was an improvement. Last year the Griz had a similar event against Idaho, a team the Griz had beaten a few weeks earlier on the road. Travis protested a non-travel call. And the waylayed with a bench "T" and lost possession.
That one sequence seemed to change the momentum for the whole game.
Be happy they won.

GrizLA said:
What should bother UM fans more than bad ref calls is how the Griz nearly self destructed after the referee decision. They not only lost momentum, they played poorly and out of sync for the next 4 or 5 minutes allowing NoCol to make this game closer than it was.
Maybe a little. Sometimes there isn't anything you CAN do when a guy is hits like 4 contested fade away nba 3's in a row. Sometimes a team just starts shooting hot and all you can do is ride out the storm.

Dillon said:
Well I hate to burst some bubbles on here but I have seen former Big Sky refs now in the Pac 12. Some must be doing something right!

True. The difference is, the P12 holds their officials accountable. At least 4 times a year I read in the Seattle Times about the P12 conference reprimanding officials. When did that last happen in the bsc, if ever??

Look, I get that officiating seeems to be getting worse everywhere, and that it’s a tough job, and everyone is a ref with 11 different replay angles on their 4K television. But if no one holds them accountable for their shittiness and the checks continue to cash, where’s the incentive to improve?

GrizLA said:

That 10 minute break, 6 point gift, and hot shooting UNC guy failed to stop the Griz win. We gutted it out and I actually think it showed how tough the Griz are this year.

GrizPony said:
GrizLA said:

That 10 minute break, 6 point gift, and hot shooting UNC guy failed to stop the Griz win. We gutted it out and I actually think it showed how tough the Griz are this year.

Ditto. :clap:

GrizPony said:
GrizLA said:

I agree. I think the schedule this year made a difference but the next 3 games are going to be a major challenge. With Oguine and Rorie, I think UM might be something 3pt dependent teams haven't seen much of. NoColo was able to adjust and pass to get the deep 3pt baskets but they won't be that easy when the defense of UM is playing with quick hands and feet. MSU, in particular, has a pair of shooters that might be a match. It is good seeing the Big Sky being competitive.

GrizLA said:
GrizPony said:
GrizLA said:

I agree. I think the schedule this year made a difference but the next 3 games are going to be a major challenge. With Oguine and Rorie, I think UM might be something 3pt dependent teams haven't seen much of. NoColo was able to adjust and pass to get the deep 3pt baskets but they won't be that easy when the defense of UM is playing with quick hands and feet. MSU, in particular, has a pair of shooters that might be a match. It is good seeing the Big Sky being competitive.
For sure - after listening to the post game show after being at the game, I got the impression from TDC that those 3's are sometimes what is conceded when playing the type of D we do. The key is making sure the ones we are conceding are deeper than normal - which is what we were giving up, outside of maybe 2 or 3. NoCo also ended up shooting something crazy from three, like 16/24. That isn't something that will happen very often.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
GrizLA said:
GrizPony said:
GrizLA said:

For sure - after listening to the post game show after being at the game, I got the impression from TDC that those 3's are sometimes what is conceded when playing the type of D we do. The key is making sure the ones we are conceding are deeper than normal - which is what we were giving up, outside of maybe 2 or 3. NoCo also ended up shooting something crazy from three, like 16/24. That isn't something that will happen very often.

If we lose to a hot team making 25’ 3’s, I can live with that. The defense otherwise is SHUTDOWN. NoCo was 11/33 INSIDE the arc....THAT will win a ton of games... :clap: :clap:

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
Simple solution: pay your officials more money.

Disagree that this is the sole answer to improve officiating.

Well, pay them more and hold them accountable. But we know neither will occur in this great conference of ours so...

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Well, pay them more and hold them accountable. But we know neither will occur in this great conference of ours so...

Once again, you don't seem to grasp the reality of the officiating topic. It is not as easy as paying them more and have accountability based on how they do their job. Look at how awful officials are for professional sports, the guys with the money and more reason to hold the officials accountable. There is a limited numbers of officials that are losing members at a more rapid pace than they can be replaced. The issue is not an easy fix.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Once again, you don't seem to grasp the reality of the officiating topic. It is not as easy as paying them more and have accountability based on how they do their job. Look at how awful officials are for professional sports, the guys with the money and more reason to hold the officials accountable. There is a limited numbers of officials that are losing members at a more rapid pace than they can be replaced. The issue is not an easy fix.

Yep, one of the main reasons officials get out is because of fans going way too far a little too often. They do have a difficult job, and the fans make an already tough job, much tougher. The loud mouth behind Riley at GRIZ games often goes too far. Example, Riley confirms the official call was warranted. Shortly there after, the loudmouth screams profanities at the referees about how bad the call or calls are. Every damn time there is a whistle and a call against the GRIZ, he spouts off at the officials. I sat near the guy one time, and actually told him, "the officials actually got that call right". He gave me a dirty ass look, then mumbled under his breath. Yet again, the next whistle, he was right back at it.

Fans need to learn when to show/voice their frustration, same with some coaches. Doing it continually accomplishes nothing and really makes one look like an idiot. Also, it is a bad reflection of our fan base. It is nice when officials work a game where the fans actually speak up only when a truly bad call or calls were made.

#trytorespecttheofficials

Agree fully that some fans are ridiculous. That said, I have no problem letting officials know when they've clearly screwed up.

Yes, it's a difficult job. Yes, fans get on them, probably too much. But that's been happening since the days of peach baskets. It's an expectation of the job.

I just wish that rather than fans having to hold officials accountable, that the people who get paid to do so would occasionally. The officials are professionals; it's time that both the fans AND the conference started treating them as such.

EverettGriz said:
Agree fully that some fans are ridiculous. That said, I have no problem letting officials know when they've clearly screwed up.

Yes, it's a difficult job. Yes, fans get on them, probably too much. But that's been happening since the days of peach baskets. It's an expectation of the job.

I just wish that rather than fans having to hold officials accountable, that the people who get paid to do so would occasionally. The officials are professionals; it's time that both the fans AND the conference started treating them as such.

Everett, I watched a lot of ball over the last few weeks. At every level, in every conference there is a lot of incompetence. Look at the blown calls in the FBS Championship game. I saw a pro tight end get taken out of the game by a flagrant helmet on helmet hit and it wasn't even reviewed. I can understand you wanting out of the BSC, but refereeing is pathetic at all levels and replay only mucks it up more a lot of the time.

cclarkblues said:
EverettGriz said:

Everett, I watched a lot of ball over the last few weeks. At every level, in every conference there is a lot of incompetence. Look at the blown calls in the FBS Championship game. I saw a pro tight end get taken out of the game by a flagrant helmet on helmet hit and it wasn't even reviewed. I can understand you wanting out of the BSC, but refereeing is pathetic at all levels and replay only mucks it up more a lot of the time.

Oh sure. Just Rub it in knowing I'm a huge Chief fan, why don't you. F-cker!

:cool:

EverettGriz said:
cclarkblues said:
EverettGriz said:

Oh sure. Just Rub it in knowing I'm a huge Chief fan, why don't you. F-cker!

That was Kelsey, right? Terrible non-call. Have you heard if he has a concussion? I guess it is a moot point now. I like the Chiefs too but they screw me over every year so I don't trust them. I don't even think they ran a replay of that play on TV much less having the refs check it.

:cool:

Yes, it was Kelce. And there were a few TV replays but neither of the guys calling the game said anything about it. Of course, Gruden was too damn busy counting his Raider money by then.

And yes, we chief fans have a phrase for the constant and repeatable let down: "Because...chiefs".

EverettGriz said:
Yes, it was Kelce. And there were a few TV replays but neither of the guys calling the game said anything about it. Of course, Gruden was too damn busy counting his Raider money by then.

And yes, we chief fans have a phrase for the constant and repeatable let down: "Because...chiefs".

Keep the faith. Remember the Cubbies.

Back