• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DID ENGSTROM DO THE RIGHT THING?

tnt said:
The promotion is only the tip of one horn of a beast called money. If you are so naive as to believe Money doesn't drive athletics think again. And I know the revenue, They are still Far short (on paper) of turning a profit. And while you are at the UM bookstore is a seperate for profit business. Why wouldn't they advertize

You are the one with all the answers.
Why doesn't the Bookstore advertise if it's as you say, just all about the driven dollar?

Washgrizfan1 said:
A better question might be: would Engstrom stand up to the NCAA and fight for UM and UM athletics, or would he just roll over and accept whatever the NCAA may say or suggest?

I hope he fights them with everything he's got, the NCAA takes a very dim view of uncooperative institutions . :thumb:

Cats2506 said:
I hope he fights them with everything he's got, the NCAA takes a very dim view of uncooperative institutions

I see you finally finished you're evening pocket pool and want to prove again that the only hope the scats have is the competition falls. What I hope is the Griz/scat rivalry ends.........I'm tired of playing down to the cats level and really tired of cat posters. I will be glad when this is over!

Bear Axed said:
Nope, by firing them RE handed the NCAA a reason to need to find something
that may likely not even be there
Correct me if I am wrong the NCAA notified U of M in December and instructed to keep the investigation confidential. Plu and JOD were fired in March. Maybe the decision to let these two go had something to do with the investigation and didn't bring it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really feel like Engstrom did the right thing. I think he gave Phlu and O'day a chance to do the right thing and clean house but they didn't so he had to get rid of them. It was a brilliant move to bring in Delaney, he is an old style coach who will take charge of the situation and let the players and assitant coaches who is in charge. I think coack Phlu was a good guy but from what I hear he just didn't seem to have command of the players. If you don't let them know who is in charge they will walk all over you and I think that is the reason we are in this mess. Delaney ran off Gerald Kemp for but phlu should have a long time ago. Robin just didn't take care of business or he would still have his job.

Bear Axed said:
tnt said:
The promotion is only the tip of one horn of a beast called money. If you are so naive as to believe Money doesn't drive athletics think again. And I know the revenue, They are still Far short (on paper) of turning a profit. And while you are at the UM bookstore is a seperate for profit business. Why wouldn't they advertize

You are the one with all the answers.
Why doesn't the Bookstore advertise if it's as you say, just all about the driven dollar?
Of course they advertize. That was rhetorical. They are an independent business as is their down town store (Fact and Fiction). And of course money is not involved with college athletics. Please Bear Axed for your families sake don't take any rides on a turnip wagon, the fall is likley to kill you.

indian-outlaw said:
I really feel like Engstrom did the right thing. I think he gave Phlu and O'day a chance to do the right thing and clean house but they didn't so he had to get rid of them. It was a brilliant move to bring in Delaney, he is an old style coach who will take charge of the situation and let the players and assitant coaches who is in charge. I think coack Phlu was a good guy but from what I hear he just didn't seem to have command of the players. If you don't let them know who is in charge they will walk all over you and I think that is the reason we are in this mess. Delaney ran off Gerald Kemp for but phlu should have a long time ago. Robin just didn't take care of business or he would still have his job.
other than Kemp, who else should been in the house cleaning?
Go ahead and name the other players and the criminal charges that they were found guilty of :roll:

Bear Axed said:
indian-outlaw said:
Go ahead and name the other players and the criminal charges that they were found guilty of :roll:

I personally would have gotten rid of both TJ and JJ way before this whole shitstorm. I don't think a coach should wait for criminal charges, that's my whole frickin' point you idiot.

indian-outlaw said:
Bear Axed said:
indian-outlaw said:

I personally would have gotten rid of both TJ and JJ way before this whole shitstorm. I don't think a coach should wait for criminal charges, that's my whole frickin' point you idiot.
for rumors and enuendo's?

GoosetownGriz said:
Bear Axed said:
Nope, by firing them RE handed the NCAA a reason to need to find something
that may likely not even be there
Correct me if I am wrong the NCAA notified U of M in December and instructed to keep the investigation confidential. Plu and JOD were fired in March. Maybe the decision to let these two go had something to do with the investigation and didn't bring it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

close, it was late January, but yes RE was informed to keep in confidential

Cats2506 said:
Washgrizfan1 said:
A better question might be: would Engstrom stand up to the NCAA and fight for UM and UM athletics, or would he just roll over and accept whatever the NCAA may say or suggest?

I hope he fights them with everything he's got, the NCAA takes a very dim view of uncooperative institutions . :thumb:
Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.

indian-outlaw said:

Agree 100%

Some of you are wishful thinking that somehow Engstrom did the right thing by firing Pflugrad and O'Day the same time in the same office which, in my view, was one of the worst management practices I've ever seen. My opinion is that Engstrom is in over his head and if he could, he would get out of Dodge in the dead of night. Soon, we will know....

Spanky said:
Some of you are wishful thinking that somehow Engstrom did the right thing by firing Pflugrad and O'Day the same time in the same office which, in my view, was one of the worst management practices I've ever seen. My opinion is that Engstrom is in over his head and if he could, he would get out of Dodge in the dead of night. Soon, we will know....

I'm listening to two women outside my office door talking about what's the best weapon to buy a young woman headed to the "rape capital of the Northwest." Both have daughters enrolled at UM. Both are very concerned about their daughters being raped. Oh, and now a father has joined the discussion.

My blood is boiling. Did RE do the right thing? Better question is what, if anything, has RE done right?

tourist said:
Chastity belt? What a weapon!

Sounds like stun guns are the weapon of choice. Really? Stun Guns? Whatever happened to Texas Instruments calculators and ring binder notebooks. It really bothers me that RE has so mishandled this mess that parents actually think their daughters are more likely to get raped at the University of Montana than other schools in the region. I think we forget about how far the hysteria of the last seven months has spread. The University of Montana's brand is badly damaged and the administration has bungled its response. The town hall meetings with the president of the university this spring were quaint, but also go to show just how tone deaf UM is. Outside of Missoula, there's been no community outreach, not attempt to assure Montana's moms and dads that their kids are safe at UM.

The mishandling of these issues goes beyond the firings of coaches or bungling of the student conduct code.

he is doing the same to UM that he did to MSU only better! he was never my choice and i somehow knew something bad would happen under his watch. after all he loves msu and want to even the playing after destroying their program 25+ years ago :eek: :oops: . Montana will never recover until it hires someone that KNOWS how to lead! sorry to say but no one in the state knows how to lead! :shock:

Back