• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Engstrom stepping down

My son and my daughter are tied for "Smartest Person on Earth." They both had 4.9 grade point averages. They both laughed when Stanford and Prineton came courting. Not one single University of Montana representative got in line to kiss their asses. So they both became addicted to meth, lost their teeth, and voted Trump. Fucking Engstrom!

AllWeatherFan said:
My son and my daughter are tied for "Smartest Person on Earth." They both had 4.9 grade point averages. They both laughed when Stanford and Prineton came courting. Not one single University of Montana representative got in line to kiss their asses. So they both became addicted to meth, lost their teeth, and voted Trump. f***[*] Engstrom!

Yeah, but can they kick?

AllWeatherFan said:
My son and my daughter are tied for "Smartest Person on Earth." They both had 4.9 grade point averages. They both laughed when Stanford and Prineton came courting. Not one single University of Montana representative got in line to kiss their asses. So they both became addicted to meth, lost their teeth, and voted Trump. f***[*] Engstrom!
How's that "EWU Dad" sticker look on the minivan?

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
behappp said:
PlayerRep said:
Did you know this? First 3 paras of linked Gazette article.

"Denise Juneau has won two statewide elections as a Native American woman.

As the 48-year-old congressional candidate ramps up her campaign against first-term Republican U.S. Rep. Ryan Zinke, she is matter-of-fact about her sexual orientation, making her Montana’s first openly gay candidate running for federal office.

While Juneau introduced the woman she is dating at a fundraiser in Bozeman last week, she has been open for some time about her sexuality, without making a big deal of it."

http://billingsgazette.com/news/government-and-politics/juneau-becomes-montana-s-st-openly-gay-candidate-for-federal/article_439a27d3-fa58-5485-8e17-130d9d8f80d7.html
And your point is? This fact is not relevant to her ability or lack of ability to lead UM into a new direction.
The DUI's I would guess would be more influential in whether or not she is chosen.

My point was to provide the prior poster with additional factual information, from an article, because he said he hadn't been aware of the DUI's. I made no comment or argument with what I posted. I asked if the poster was aware of it.

A question for you. Do you think it would be good for UM to hire, now, a president without significant higher education experience, without any experience in higher ed administration, a couple DUI's, and who is apparently openly gay. Do you think the faculty and alumni, and the bulk of the larger donors, would be supportive of that? Do you think she would be good at overseeing and supporting UM athletics?

Don't forget, she's also openly Native American and openly female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't actually believe that you said that. Your mother would be ashamed, I hope.

fanofzoo said:
wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
behappp said:
And your point is? This fact is not relevant to her ability or lack of ability to lead UM into a new direction.
The DUI's I would guess would be more influential in whether or not she is chosen.

My point was to provide the prior poster with additional factual information, from an article, because he said he hadn't been aware of the DUI's. I made no comment or argument with what I posted. I asked if the poster was aware of it.

A question for you. Do you think it would be good for UM to hire, now, a president without significant higher education experience, without any experience in higher ed administration, a couple DUI's, and who is apparently openly gay. Do you think the faculty and alumni, and the bulk of the larger donors, would be supportive of that? Do you think she would be good at overseeing and supporting UM athletics?

I can't actually believe that you said that. Your mother would be ashamed, I hope.

I think my mother would recognize my tongue was planted firmly in cheek and would appreciate the sarcasm.

wbtfg said:
fanofzoo said:
wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

I think my mother would recognize my tongue was planted firmly in cheek and would appreciate the sarcasm.

Thank you, didn't see that.

wbtfg said:
fanofzoo said:
wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

:lol: :thumb:

Interesting Missoulian editorial about Engstrom "stepping down." Almost hard to see why he didn't get another raise from the Missoulian's version. "Engstrom, the Right President."
And he has done an admirable job navigating the university through the sea change it has experienced over the past six years. He has managed to maintain the highest possible academic quality, apparent in the numerous national and even international awards earned by students and faculty at the University of Montana. He has helped bring in record private donations to bolster a variety of programs both foundational and innovative. And perhaps most importantly, he oversaw a sustained, comprehensive – and meaningful – response to a rape crisis that badly tarnished the institution’s reputation.
http://missoulian.com/news/opinion/editorial/missoulian-editorial-the-right-university-president/article_7cdafecb-67ec-5c15-a6aa-7dc2eed5aeeb.html

The Montana Kaimin, a somewhat different view. "The end of Engstrom: How UM’s president fell from grace."
As he makes his exit, President Engstrom leaves behind a complicated legacy, fraught with a multitude of scandals and fierce public sentiment. This is how the former provost, chemist and canoe enthusiast saw a rape scandal and five consecutive years of enrollment decline define his mark on the University of Montana, and where things will go from here
http://www.montanakaimin.com/features/the-end-of-engstrom-how-um-s-president-fell-from/article_d48313ac-baae-11e6-8bcf-77cfb385b265.html

Missoulian editorials, years ago, began being written by committees of staffers. I suspect Florio had a role in the Missoulian's bizarre paen to Engstrom.

'68griz said:
In this instance, I believe I'd give more credibility to the Kaimin.
A few weeks ago, I attended a "Title IX" conference on campus, since I deal with those issues in sports in another context, I sat through the ordeal. Some of the major "names" involved in national level Title IX issues were there, including one of the well-known representatives from "FIRE" -- a group that advocates on behalf of due-process rights for the accused in proceedings dealing with "sexual assault" on campus. Royce was there, and I sat behind him. The first 20 minutes were given over to high praise and homage to Royce for the "revolution" he had initiated in "protecting" women on campuses and the great and positive good he had brought to the UM campus and to the higher education community as a whole. He was a National Hero by these lights, proclaimed far and wide as a farsighted administrator, doing nothing but good and heroic works for higher ed.

He took his bow and the accolades, and then left, no doubt secure in the belief in his position and legacy. The Missoulian captured fully "that" view of Royce. He is a martyred hero falling only upon the sword of mere "enrollment" issues not of his making. It was interesting to see the Kaimin's far more cynical take on it. The campus community develops its own opinions on matters of significance to the campus, and it is often divergent to an extreme from those outside the community with ulterior and alternative agendas. It is a measure of just how bad things are that, on a favored issue of such great PC importance, even the campus was in revolt against the actual results.

Sometimes people mistake the pose for "taking a bow" when it is actually "head up ass".....

Well, then, under Engstrom's benevolent reign, this:
The most recent data from the Montana Board of Crime Control show a precipitous spike in crimes at the University of Montana – but the rise doesn't reflect reality, said Marty Ludemann, director of UM Public Safety.

"I don't see a huge increase in anything," Ludemann said of actual crimes in recent years. "Our numbers have been pretty similar."

The incredible upswings posted last month on the state site, such as a 1,900 percent rise in dangerous drug possession year over year, illustrate gaps in reporting by UM, he said. UM has unintentionally misreported some of its crime data – such as the drug possession numbers – because, for instance, crime definitions differ among law enforcement agencies, he said.

After six years, we still "have gaps in reporting" and numbers that don't make sense. And bad headlines.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-sees-crime-reporting-upswing/article_ee9f005d-287b-5a24-bcb0-bae88d5c8fa4.html

'68griz said:

The Kaimin was kind to him. Engstrom should have been fired years ago. He has been a disaster for UM.

GrizRanger said:
'68griz said:

The Kaimin was kind to him. Engstrom should have been fired years ago. He has been a disaster for UM.
The Kaimin didn't pander to him like Gwen's Missoulian. And we agree that he has been a disaster.

'68griz said:
GrizRanger said:
'68griz said:

The Kaimin didn't pander to him like Gwen's Missoulian. And we agree that he has been a disaster.

I agree with you 68 about the Kaimin being a more credible source of information than the Missoula rag. I was just discharging my contempt for Engstrom.

I know it won't happen, but how about O'Day returns as President? Yes, I am being a smart ass. I was a fan of O'day as AD. I feel, he and Pflu both got royally screwed.

mtgrizrule said:
I know it won't happen, but how about O'Day returns as President? Yes, I am being a smart ass. I was a fan of O'day as AD. I feel, he and Pflu both got royally screwed.

...for not showing..faith..trust..backbone..leadership...
...he cannot be forgiven for this jump to conclusion...
...if there was ever a chance to lead..he blew it...

... :dead: ...

Yeah, the Missoulian continues to be a joke, the good news is that the jokes keep getting funnier, such as the piece yesterday about the city council setting up a donation fund for people that can't pay their property taxes. Quite frankly the piece should have been in the Sunday cartoon section.

Back