• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GIVE MALATARE A SCHOLARSHIP!!

maroonandsilver said:
Bowmat said:
Is he a good student? If I remember correctly, that was JR's downfall.

JR wasn't a bad student. He simply was not a student at all. He just never went to class.

Ever wonder why the Griz never ran set plays, just free-lance, when JR was in the game? It was because he didn't come to practice when the plays were put in for the up-coming game.

Didn't realize that. Hard to believe a coach would put up with that kind of behavior, regardless of how good the player was. Can't remember who JR's coach was back then....

citay said:
Bowmat said:

According to the New York Times article, he is. But how often do we ask that question. Did we ask it of Micheal Ray back in the day? How about Mack Anderson? Or our new recruit, Eddy Egun? Or any of our recent recruits, basketball or football? Why do we ask that question of Malatare? Just because JR was a bad student? Or is there another more stereotypical issue at play here.

Let me guess.
Call it a work habit as I deal with academic eligibility everyday as a high school activities director. I get asked that question almost daily when dealing with college recruiters no matter what the student's ethnicity.

grizonbob said:
maroonandsilver said:
Bowmat said:

JR wasn't a bad student. He simply was not a student at all. He just never went to class.

Ever wonder why the Griz never ran set plays, just free-lance, when JR was in the game? It was because he didn't come to practice when the plays were put in for the up-coming game.

Didn't realize that. Hard to believe a coach would put up with that kind of behavior, regardless of how good the player was. Can't remember who JR's coach was back then....

Blaine. His last year.

grizonbob said:
maroonandsilver said:
Bowmat said:

Looking at JR's hoops record, he played from 94 to 98 (stats indicate he sat out the 95-96 season). So he must have gone to some classes to stay in school that long, or there was something pretty iffy going on...

I remember seeing him play in a few games, and he was fun to watch...

grizonbob said:
grizonbob said:
maroonandsilver said:
Bowmat said:

Looking at JR's hoops record, he played from 94 to 98 (stats indicate he sat out the 95-96 season). So he must have gone to some classes to stay in school that long, or there was something pretty iffy going on...

I remember seeing him play in a few games, and he was fun to watch...

Well, there was an African-American Studies Prof. who got in trouble for being favorable to athletes around that time period. Don't remember his name.

Four "one and dones" this year. Besovic, Bevins, Nicholas and Espe. Last year lost Samuelson and Alphonso Anderson. 6 guys in two years that were awarded full rides and left after just one year (Samuelson 2 counting RS year).

Coaches and teams seem to almost accept this kind of roster disruption to be very common. My point being ....what's so bad to take a shot on a kid like Malatare? If he works out great...if not he wouldn't be the first to "transfer" after one to two seasons.

I'd rather see a kid from Arlee, MT get a scholly for a year to UM bball than a kid from Bosnia or Norway...or Houston for that matter.

Seeing all the new recruits who I assume are getting scholarships,it seems like Malatare is being taken advantage of. Once they had his commit as a walkon- let him sit for cheap, and see who else we can get....'m not liking what I see coming from the coaches. This will ultimately hurt the program in my opinion.

I’ll state what has been mentioned before, if you haven’t you need to listen to TDC’s end of year podcast with Colter. This isn’t as hinky as people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racehorsewilly said:
Seeing all the new recruits who I assume are getting scholarships,it seems like Malatare is being taken advantage of. Once they had his commit as a walkon- let him sit for cheap, and see who else we can get....'m not liking what I see coming from the coaches. This will ultimately hurt the program in my opinion.

Or, the “opportunity” is given to walk on, rather than a straight up no, and this is viewed as a win-win by both parties. There are only two walk-on spots in b-ball and he is not passing on another D1 offer to walk on here. PWO in football happen all the time where someone who initially didn’t make the scholarship cut proves themselves and gets a scholarship, or goes NAIA or stays as a role contributor. It’s D1 sports requiring tough decisions and accountability. Be happy for Malatare getting this opportunity. I am.

racehorsewilly said:

He's a walk-on, that's the evaluation TDC made and that's the offer Malatare accepted. You don't gift a walk-on a ride before he has even graduated high school just because you have a couple lying around.

Its my understanding he accepted a walkon as they had no scholarships available. Once there were, it seems he should have been offered. TDC is not infalliable and its my opinion he should have been given one, once it became available.

racehorsewilly said:
I , too hope he is able to earn one next year, and only hope he has the personal finances to make it through this year.

He's a Native American. Lots of financial help available.

DPGriz said:
racehorsewilly said:

He's a walk-on, that's the evaluation TDC made and that's the offer Malatare accepted. You don't gift a walk-on a ride before he has even graduated high school just because you have a couple lying around.

This right here is correct! TD sees him as a walk on, Malatare accepted the opportunity to prove himself with out financial aid! If he develops he will get awarded a scholarship.
Malatare does not deserve a scholarship because he is from Montana or because he is native or because e-griz thinks he should! He is a project that coaches must feel does not warrant a scholarship at this time!

Lastly let this kid develop quit calling him a state legend and proclaiming how great he will be.
God forbid he does not reach the heights some of you have set for him.

racehorsewilly said:
Seeing all the new recruits who I assume are getting scholarships,it seems like Malatare is being taken advantage of.

Taken advantage of how? He is free to go somewhere else if he wants...he is choosing to walk-on.

Mavman said:
DPGriz said:
racehorsewilly said:

This right here is correct! TD sees him as a walk on, Malatare accepted the opportunity to prove himself with out financial aid! If he develops he will get awarded a scholarship.
Malatare does not deserve a scholarship because he is from Montana or because he is native or because e-griz thinks he should! He is a project that coaches must feel does not warrant a scholarship at this time!

Lastly let this kid develop quit calling him a state legend and proclaiming how great he will be.
God forbid he does not reach the heights some of you have set for him.

Amen!!

I've never seen Malatare play outside on highlights on the local news and have no opinion of whether he is "good enough", but it's simple supply and demand. He has no other D1 offers, so why waste a scholarship on a(ny) guy we can get to walk-on? That seems like a no-brainer to me.

JR Camel, wisely, transferred to Hellgate for his sr. yr after dominating class b (wasn't it?), and also had his (up and down) moments for the Griz, and JR clearly had D1 talent. His downfalls have already been mentioned. Chavez also transferred from Heart Butte to Browning to better prove his abilities. If you choose to stay at low-level Montana hs b-ball, you haven't proven anything (to ppl recruiting@D1) no matter how good you look against terrible competition. Malatare will get his chance to prove his metal as a walk-on. He (and any class C Montanan) can't ask for anything more.

Zirg said:
I've never seen Malatare play outside on highlights on the local news and have no opinion of whether he is "good enough", but it's simple supply and demand. He has no other D1 offers, so why waste a scholarship on a(ny) guy we can get to walk-on? That seems like a no-brainer to me.

JR Camel, wisely, transferred to Hellgate for his sr. yr after dominating class b (wasn't it?), and also had his (up and down) moments for the Griz, and JR clearly had D1 talent. His downfalls have already been mentioned. Chavez also transferred from Heart Butte to Browning to better prove his abilities. If you choose to stay at low-level Montana hs b-ball, you haven't proven anything (to ppl recruiting@D1) no matter how good you look against terrible competition. Malatare will get his chance to prove his metal as a walk-on. He (and any class C Montanan) can't ask for anything more.

Comparing Malatare to JR or Chavez or any other player is a mistake. None of them came to Montana with the legendary status that Malatare has achieved as a high school player; none of them were capable of putting butts in seats like Malatare will, no matter he comes from a Class C program.

As for the fact he hasn't proven himself at higher levels of competition, what would you say about Espe, Besovic, Bevens--three kids who we thought had proved themselves, but washed out the first year? How about the two kids Shannon has signed for the women's team who as teammates on one team could not win a state championship? Did all these kids deserve scholarships?

Yes, as a rule, you don't give a scholarship to a Class C player, but there are exceptions to every rule, and I feel Malatare is one--one who has earned a scholarship. And if he doesn't pan out? Every Frontier school, including Montana Tech, would offer him a scholarship in a heartbeat, so I think it's a risk we should take.

Latest posts

Back