• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz - #12 - Mid Major Top 25

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
I may be way off base here on the opponents sagging the paint on the Griz, but could they be able to combat it (open the paint back up) by taking longer, mid range jumpers (between 15-17' instead of 3's)? Rorie has a great mid-range game, and Pridgett is pretty solid as well - you'd think Falls would be able to knock some down as well. You wouldn't think they'd have to do much to open back up again - but I could be wrong.

Would be interesting to know from those who played / coached on various levels if there is stuff you could run that would be similar to kicking out and taking 3's, but instead kicking out and taking more mid-range jumpers.

I guess, I'm thinking what the Pistons ran when Rip Hamilton was playing with them, only running it for a few guys (Rorie, Pridgett, Falls) instead of just one.

That free throw line area is where zones can be beat.... constant flashing in and out of that spot with a guy that is ready to shoot immediately if uncovered.....if a lower zone player comes up to stop you the post player can open up for a pass from the FT line. If no one comes...be ready and willing to shoot right away. If top of zone packs to that area the longer shots should be more uncontested. I'd have Rorie or Pridgett be that flash guy. Always the chance to head fake that shot and take to the rim from the FT line too.

I didn't play the game at the highest level....but did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once...and made a lot of FT line jumpers vs. zones when I did play.

Mousegriz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
I may be way off base here on the opponents sagging the paint on the Griz, but could they be able to combat it (open the paint back up) by taking longer, mid range jumpers (between 15-17' instead of 3's)? Rorie has a great mid-range game, and Pridgett is pretty solid as well - you'd think Falls would be able to knock some down as well. You wouldn't think they'd have to do much to open back up again - but I could be wrong.

Would be interesting to know from those who played / coached on various levels if there is stuff you could run that would be similar to kicking out and taking 3's, but instead kicking out and taking more mid-range jumpers.

I guess, I'm thinking what the Pistons ran when Rip Hamilton was playing with them, only running it for a few guys (Rorie, Pridgett, Falls) instead of just one.

That free throw line area is where zones can be beat.... constant flashing in and out of that spot with a guy that is ready to shoot immediately if uncovered.....if a lower zone player comes up to stop you the post player can open up for a pass from the FT line. If no one comes...be ready and willing to shoot right away. If top of zone packs to that area the longer shots should be more uncontested. I'd have Rorie or Pridgett be that flash guy. Always the chance to head fake that shot and take to the rim from the FT line too.

I didn't play the game at the highest level....but did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once...and made a lot of FT line jumpers vs. zones when I did play.

Agreed. Also if they pack that area after the pass, many times a dump down for a layup is open, or to a baseline cutter for a dunk. Zones can be had with ease very frequently. I think the problem teams have with zone is that they think they can only shoot 3's and if they miss them...it's a problem. Even a packed zone, players make mistakes. Why it's important to have good, crisp passes against a zone.

Back