• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz 2016-17 schedule out this week

grizzlyjournal

The Missoulian's Kyle Sample just tweeted that the Montana Grizzlies 2016-17 hoops schedule will be announced later this week.

Some hints from Kyle, though:

The Griz open their season at USC. Then there's the previously announced Paradise Jam -- where they open against North Carolina State -- and a possible match with Ole Miss in the Jam. However, a road game at Ole Miss is also on the schedule, as well as a home-and-home series with Wyoming, and home games against UW-Milwaukee, San Jose State and Pepperdine. Also a road game at South Dakota and an as-yet-to-be-finalized road game against an "elite 8" team, as Kyle describes it.

Anyone have info on other games?

Oh sh!t! Now I'm excited! Even with the inevitable cupcake thrown in, that is going to be a killer schedule! I assume the elite 8 team means it is a team that lost in the elite 8. That would be either Maryland, Miami, Indiana or Wisconsin. I would guess Wisconsin of all those teams but would love a game against Maryland.

This is great. This is exactly what UM needs to be doing. You can't beat them if you don't play them.

Sweet ass schedule. Travis gets it. The Big Sky is a 1 bid conference. Playing tough competition makes a team better, even if they lose a few more games. Also it only takes a few wins in those tough games for the NCAA to take notice.

PeauxRouge said:
Oh sh!t! Now I'm excited! Even with the inevitable cupcake thrown in, that is going to be a killer schedule! I assume the elite 8 team means it is a team that lost in the elite 8. That would be either Maryland, Miami, Indiana or Wisconsin. I would guess Wisconsin of all those teams but would love a game against Maryland.

You might want to recheck the year you're pulling those teams from. Kansas, Oregon, Notre Dame and Virginia lost in the Elite 8

This is becoming Gonzagaish...pull off an upset here and there, and that's how it starts!

kyle_sample said:
PeauxRouge said:

You might want to recheck the year you're pulling those teams from. Kansas, Oregon, Notre Dame and Virginia lost in the Elite 8

Heh, the year is right, but the bracket I looked at was an interactive that confused my feeble mind.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/basketball-men/d1

Where they have the elite 8 lined up didn't match up quite with some of the bubbles. I admit, I was too excited to care!

So, of those then I am going to assume it's Oregon.

EverettGriz said:
This schedule will have to be in the top 10 preseason RPIs in the nation.

I think top 10 non-conference SOS is very possible. Win a majority and who knows for RPI.

Last year, according to http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/sos, NAU had the #3 toughest non-conference schedule in the nation but lost all of them (0-9) plus with the Big Sky conference games dragged their overall SOS down to 165th (best in the Big Sky) and their RPI ended up at 333, as they went (3-16) in conference games.

In comparison, Montana had the #26 toughest non-conference schedule in the nation (went 2-6 against). With the BSC games UM's SOS dropped to 259th but their RPI rose up to 144, as they went (16-5) in conference.

Moral of the story:
Don't just be happy with scheduling good teams, go out and get some wins against good teams, Griz. :thumb:

By my understanding of NCAA regulations, Big Sky schools -- which play 18 conference games -- are allowed to schedule 11 pre-season nonconference games OR up to two more if they play in a pre-season tourney. Montana will play three games at the Paradise Jam, so they're allowed two additional games... 13 total this season. That does NOT count an exhibition opener against a Dii team.

Based on Kyle Sample's twitter info from this morning, Montana will play:

Eight confirmed road games: USC, Ole Miss, Wyoming, South Dakota, Cal-Riverside and three at the neutral-court Paradise Jam (NC State for certain).

Four home games: Univ of Wisconsin @ Milwaukee, Wyoming, Pepperdine and San Jose State.

The as-yet unannounced final game against an NCAA elite-eight team will be the fourteenth and presumably final game on this year's schedule. That's one more than I thought was the maximum allowed. Must be some exception for three Paradise Jam games. (can anyone explain?)

Like others in this thread, I'm pretty hopped about the full schedule. But I am equally excited about the home schedule... all Division One teams and uniformly the best non-conference home schedule in 8-10 seasons. Last year, Montana's five-game home schedule featured San Francisco, Boise State, Carroll, College of Great Falls and Montana Western.

Combined, this makes for one of the best (certainly the toughest) pre-season schedules I can remember.

Hearty congratulations... and thanks go out to Coach DeCuire and staff for building this schedule.

Addendum: Here's Kyle Sample's story from the May 19 Missoulian: http://missoulian.com/sports/college/griz-poised-to-face-difficult-non-conference-slate/article_eca16e3e-2a1f-509f-855d-beb53e72f324.html

grizzlyjournal said:
By my understanding of NCAA regulations, Big Sky schools -- which play 18 conference games -- are allowed to schedule 11 pre-season nonconference games OR up to two more if they play in a pre-season tourney. Montana will play three games at the Paradise Jam, so they're allowed two additional games... 13 total this season. That does NOT count an exhibition opener against a Dii team.

Eight confirmed road games: USC, Ole Miss, Wyoming, South Dakota, Cal-Riverside and three at the neutral-court Paradise Jam (NC State for certain).

Four home games: Univ of Wisconsin @ Milwaukee, Wyoming, Pepperdine and San Jose State.

The as-yet unannounced final game against an NCAA elite-eight team will be the fourteenth and presumably final game on this year's schedule. That's one more than I thought was the maximum allowed. Must be some exception for three Paradise Jam games. (can anyone explain?)

Like others in this thread, I'm pretty hopped about the full schedule. But I am equally excited about the home schedule... all Division One teams and uniformly the best non-conference home schedule in 8-10 seasons. Last year, Montana's five-game home schedule featured San Francisco, Boise State, Carroll, College of Great Falls and Montana Western.

Combined, this makes for one of the best (certainly the toughest) pre-season schedules I can remember.

Hearty congratulations... and thanks go out to Coach DeCuire and staff for building this schedule.

Addendum: Here's Kyle Sample's story from the May 19 Missoulian: http://missoulian.com/sports/college/griz-poised-to-face-difficult-non-conference-slate/article_eca16e3e-2a1f-509f-855d-beb53e72f324.html

I'm probably very dense, but I am missing where the 13th game would be. You have 8 road and 4 home. Unless I'm mistaken the TBD Elite 8 team would be 13 not 14.

Bravo! As Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." We not only have a coach willing to take shots, we have one recruiting the talent to make them. I guarantee we knock off at least one of these big teams, if not this coming season, the next. Exactly the formula that started Gonzaga on the road to power as a basketball program.

Another thing: Attendance. We've had a lot of empty seats at Dahlberg the past few years but I think that's about to change. The combination of great talent and quality competition will be hard for even die-hard Griz football fans to resist. There's gold in them there empty seats.

grizd said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I'm probably very dense, but I am missing where the 13th game would be. You have 8 road and 4 home. Unless I'm mistaken the TBD Elite 8 team would be 13 not 14.

I'm the dense one. I originally counted South Dakota twice... made changes to my post, but forgot to erase the reference to the 14 games. Apologies!

grizzlyjournal said:
grizd said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I'm the dense one. I originally counted South Dakota twice... made changes to my post, but forgot to erase the reference to the 14 games. Apologies!

Come on, people. That's some damned sloppy work there! WTF? Let's try and get our shit together, huh? :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Come on, people. That's some damned sloppy work there! WTF? Let's try and get our shit together, huh? :lol: :lol:
I thought you ex-military types used the expression "get your poop in a group"? too many movies for me? Personally I prefer "you better get your head and your ass wired together or I will take a giant shit on you"

Grizbeer said:
AZGrizFan said:
I thought you ex-military types used the expression "get your poop in a group"? too many movies for me? Personally I prefer "you better get your head and your ass wired together or I will take a giant shit on you"

I did too many Sunday-Monday morning barracks latrine detail to even want to think about it. The poop wasn't the worst of it! But counting one Dakota twice was not the smartest thing to do on this forum... eh..

Back