• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Kick Return

RobGriz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
RobGriz said:
Two words:
Caleb Lyons.

Chris Parker.

Caleb's stats from high school. Couldn't find Chris's. Do you have the WGF?

Kickoff and Punt Returns
Year Grade Team GP KO Rets Yds Avg Lng P Rets Yds Avg Lng FC KR Yds
Varsity Totals 29 25 786 31.4 100 19 330 17.4 78 1 1116

Well crap, that didn't work. Here's the link:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/caleb-lyons/S6TXqPTtEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

RobGriz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
RobGriz said:
Two words:
Caleb Lyons.

Chris Parker.

Kickoff and Punt Returns

Didn't do but a quick scan on Chris Parker and his prowess as a kickoff returner in high school. As it states on: http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chris_parker_850834.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...two TDs via kickoff returns. I guess that would be the first two plays of high lights on the following: http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/sd/sioux-falls/washington-high-school-sioux-falls/chris-parker1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WyomingGrizFan said:
RobGriz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
RobGriz said:
Two words:
Caleb Lyons.

Chris Parker.

Kickoff and Punt Returns

Didn't do but a quick scan on Chris Parker and his prowess as a kickoff returner in high school. As it states on: http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chris_parker_850834.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...two TDs via kickoff returns. I guess that would be the first two plays of high lights on the following: http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/sd/sioux-falls/washington-high-school-sioux-falls/chris-parker1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be a good battle to see which one ends up returning!
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/840073/highlights/107803399

BWahlberg said:
I don't mind Nguyen, he's a good returner, he doesn't have that high motor to keep his speed up. Just like his brother, which leads to getting caught from behind. Fumble issues are concerning, none lost, can't remember but I don't think he put any on the ground on kickoffs, just punts.
Overall, John is pretty decent punt returner, because he's good at getting the first guy to miss and his top end ceiling is not a huge handicap. He does make some bad decisions and is somewhat gunshy on challenging kicks, letting too many hit the ground, which destroys field position. He just flat is not a good KO returner. He didn't seem to recognize a seam and with his lack of a top end, seldom got past the 20. I always hoped for touchbacks; it was the best we were going to do.

His stats support these observations; he was 24th out of 55 in FCS punt returns with an average of 9.5 (pretty decent), but 108th out of 113 in FCS kickoff returns with an average of 16.6. So only 5 KO returners were worse.

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
I don't mind Nguyen, he's a good returner, he doesn't have that high motor to keep his speed up. Just like his brother, which leads to getting caught from behind. Fumble issues are concerning, none lost, can't remember but I don't think he put any on the ground on kickoffs, just punts.
Overall, John is pretty decent punt returner, because he's good at getting the first guy to miss and his top end ceiling is not a huge handicap. He does make some bad decisions and is somewhat gunshy on challenging kicks, letting too many hit the ground, which destroys field position. He just flat is not a good KO returner. He didn't seem to recognize a seam and with his lack of a top end, seldom got past the 20. I always hoped for touchbacks; it was the best we were going to do.

His stats support these observations; he was 24th out of 55 in FCS punt returns with an average of 9.5 (pretty decent), but 108th out of 113 in FCS kickoff returns with an average of 16.6. So only 5 KO returners were worse.

I think you sum it up pretty well Kem. When he can make a guy miss and then get going on a punt return he's good. When he has to follow blockers and go through a planned running lane on a kick return he has major issues, for now.

Nguyen should not be a returner, he is not that dynamic that he needs to be on the field to get touches. His screw up on not fielding a punt vs EWU lead to being backed up when we should have been at the 12 at least, he also let many a punt roll this year, if Henderson comes back he needs to return both kicks and punts, John is not fast enough.

JayLarson said:
Nguyen should not be a returner, he is not that dynamic that he needs to be on the field to get touches. His screw up on not fielding a punt vs EWU lead to being backed up when we should have been at the 12 at least, he also let many a punt roll this year, if Henderson comes back he needs to return both kicks and punts, John is not fast enough.
See, a case where I'm the positive voice.

I doubt they would have even a healthy Henderson do both returns. Very risky. Hauck only used MM on KO returns when he really needed it, e.g., the SDSU game when we fell so far behind. In some ways, Nguyen has been in there as the sacrificial lamb; the risk of injury to Van or Jones had worse consequences than an injury to Nguyen.

kemajic said:
JayLarson said:
See, a case where I'm the positive voice.

I doubt they would have even a healthy Henderson do both returns. Very risky. Hauck only used MM on KO returns when he really needed it, e.g., the SDSU game when we fell so far behind. In some ways, Nguyen has been in there as the sacrificial lamb; the risk of injury to Van or Jones had worse consequences than an injury to Nguyen.

Good point Kem, I think that was their calculation. That plus Nguyen's super power might be putting the ball on the turf, but retaining possession.

I think I just associate the last name with not handling the ball well in the return game, that is not John's fault, but I just can't help it, any other name than Nguyen and I would be happy.

Back