• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz picked 2nd in Big Sky 2016

UMGriz75 said:
Last year's poll certainly turned out to be the kiss of death.

Cats top pre-season coaches poll, Griz third
By: Tom Wylie - MTN News
Connect

PARK CITY -- The battle for the 2015 Big Sky Conference football championship figures to be led by a two-horse race between Montana State and Eastern Washington, as the coaches and media were split between the two as slight favorites in the preseason polls.

The Bobcats narrowly topped the coaches' poll, while defending champion EWU ranked first in the media poll. The polls were released Tuesday at the Big Sky Summer Kickoff. Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own team.
http://www.krtv.com/story/29602574/cats-top-pre-season-coaches-poll-griz-third

It was the bobcats... it was to be expected.

UMGriz75 said:

Connect

PARK CITY -- The battle for the 2015 Big Sky Conference football championship figures to be led by a two-horse race between Montana State and Eastern Washington, as the coaches and media were split between the two as slight favorites in the preseason polls.

The Bobcats narrowly topped the coaches' poll, while defending champion EWU ranked first in the media poll. The polls were released Tuesday at the Big Sky Summer Kickoff. Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own team.
I wouldn't say that the poll was a kiss of death.....EWU and MSU just couldn't defend worth a crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Griz are picked just out of 1st and bozo u is picked almost 9th.

Glad to see the polls are getting a clue back.

siouxfan512 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
North Dakota is a pretender. Yeah, I know about their easy schedule, but they do not have the talent to win road games, even against weak BIg Sky teams. Defense wins, and NAU does not have a good enough defense to win the conference.

Can't win on the road? You mean like beating Wyoming, Portland State and Cal Poly on the road? Didn't two of those teams beat you last season? One at your own place?

Now, I'm not a fan that is going to say UND should have been a hands down preseason #1. I think that would be a little ridiculous considering we still missed the playoffs last season and have not established a real winning culture since our D2 days ... but a Pretender? Please . . .

If you can't see the improvement this team has made under Bubba, then you aren't watching anything UND related except for the MT games (and yes, I know the Grizz cleaned up against us last season). Pretty sure everyone in the Big Sky found out that UND could be exposed with the deep ball ... that and you guys had some ridiculously good receivers (also demonstrated against NDSU)

Do a little research on the improvement of this team, and the actual players.

-Going into last season we didn't think we would have any RB group. We now have Santiago, Oliveira, Nevermann and more.
-D-Line could be tops in the conference. Not saying it will be, but some serious potential here.
-Linebacker - Very deep, even with the departure of Will Ratelle.
-Corners - Only question mark on defense. Could have used the guy who committed then bolted back to MT St.
-Safety - Returning Cole Reyes, who will be a JR and an absolute stud.

-QB has been very good when healthy; depth is a question mark.
-WR biggest question mark on Offense. When health, Clive Georges showed just how good he was. Added an FBS transfer from N. Texas. Lost Seibel to injury.
-RB - No explanation required
O-Line - Looked like we were going to lose quite a bit here, but Elijah Grady ended up back on the team this summer and has serious NFL potential (Only going to be a sophomore). Also picked up a D2 transfer that will likely slide in at center.

Seriously, head over to the siouxsports.com forum, there is always a ton of chatter going on. Like I said, I'm not stating UND is where they need to be from a program standpoint, and they are certainly not where MT has been on a consistent basis, but head over there and you will learn much more about the team ... enough to know they are not pretenders.

I guess we'll have to wait for the season to start, but between a much improved (an still young) program, and the cakewalk schedule. UND has a very legit shot of finishing number 1 or 2.

Come back in November, so I can say "I told you so"

BWahlberg said:
siouxfan512 said:
HookedonGriz said:
siouxfan512 said:
Haha, absolutely not. Though judging be our new logo, FightingSeagullsFan may be more appropriate.

You are spot on with your F'N Hawks assessment, but only if you're talking Hockey. I kid I kid. Bubba has done wonders with that team and has made them very defensive-minded. We all know a great defense can keep you in any game....any. And that is what they will have again and will compete. They return some stud players, especially Santiago on the O side and Reyes on the D side. If they can get any semblance of a passing game going with Studstud at QB it will make them even more dangerous.

There is one elephant in the room you didn't bring up...your schedule. Has to be by far one of the easiest schedules in the Big Sky. You somehow will avoid the majority of the top teams in the conference so if there is a year you should be in the conference title hunt its this one.

Absolutely, our schedule should make it an easy in for the playoffs, if we play to our potential, and a strong shot to win the Big Sky. There is a downside to that as well. Assuming we do make the playoffs, we will not have played a lot of playoff caliber competition, which is essential in prepping for the playoffs.

Toughest competition we will have this season (unless there are surprises) is Bowling Green, South Dakota and N. Arizona. We'll see what happens.

UNC could be looking at a 10-1 / 9-2 / 8-3 season... that's a lock for the playoffs conference title or not.

:shock:

CDAGRIZ said:
BWahlberg said:
siouxfan512 said:
HookedonGriz said:
You are spot on with your F'N Hawks assessment, but only if you're talking Hockey. I kid I kid. Bubba has done wonders with that team and has made them very defensive-minded. We all know a great defense can keep you in any game....any. And that is what they will have again and will compete. They return some stud players, especially Santiago on the O side and Reyes on the D side. If they can get any semblance of a passing game going with Studstud at QB it will make them even more dangerous.

There is one elephant in the room you didn't bring up...your schedule. Has to be by far one of the easiest schedules in the Big Sky. You somehow will avoid the majority of the top teams in the conference so if there is a year you should be in the conference title hunt its this one.

Absolutely, our schedule should make it an easy in for the playoffs, if we play to our potential, and a strong shot to win the Big Sky. There is a downside to that as well. Assuming we do make the playoffs, we will not have played a lot of playoff caliber competition, which is essential in prepping for the playoffs.

Toughest competition we will have this season (unless there are surprises) is Bowling Green, South Dakota and N. Arizona. We'll see what happens.

UNC could be looking at a 10-1 / 9-2 / 8-3 season... that's a lock for the playoffs conference title or not.

Northern Colorado University is going to surprise a lot of people this year. A sneak peak into Ursa's Yearly BSC Preview, I have them edging out Eastern for second in the conference this year.

It is really interesting that the California based schools struggle so much, especially Davis. Very good school with a huge population base surrounding it. Poly has had some very tough squads, but they always seem to struggle being consistent. Sac St always seem to be a talented team with the ability to beat anybody, but always ends up at .500 or under.

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
BWahlberg said:
siouxfan512 said:

i
Northern Colorado University is going to surprise a lot of people this year. A sneak peak into Ursa's Yearly BSC Preview, I have them edging out Eastern for second in the conference this year.

Whooooooops, meant UND

BWahlberg said:
Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
BWahlberg said:

i

Whooooooops, meant UND

Yeah, I did too! :?

Atlanta Griz1 said:
siouxfan512 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
North Dakota is a pretender. Yeah, I know about their easy schedule, but they do not have the talent to win road games, even against weak BIg Sky teams. Defense wins, and NAU does not have a good enough defense to win the conference.

Can't win on the road? You mean like beating Wyoming, Portland State and Cal Poly on the road? Didn't two of those teams beat you last season? One at your own place?

Now, I'm not a fan that is going to say UND should have been a hands down preseason #1. I think that would be a little ridiculous considering we still missed the playoffs last season and have not established a real winning culture since our D2 days ... but a Pretender? Please . . .

If you can't see the improvement this team has made under Bubba, then you aren't watching anything UND related except for the MT games (and yes, I know the Grizz cleaned up against us last season). Pretty sure everyone in the Big Sky found out that UND could be exposed with the deep ball ... that and you guys had some ridiculously good receivers (also demonstrated against NDSU)

-Going into last season we didn't think we would have any RB group. We now have Santiago, Oliveira, Nevermann and more.
-D-Line could be tops in the conference. Not saying it will be, but some serious potential here.
-Corners - Only question mark on defense. Could have used the guy who committed then bolted back to MT St.

-WR biggest question mark on Offense. When health, Clive Georges showed just how good he was. Added an FBS transfer from N. Texas. Lost Seibel to injury.
O-Line - Looked like we were going to lose quite a bit here, but Elijah Grady ended up back on the team this summer and has serious NFL potential (Only going to be a sophomore). Also picked up a D2 transfer that will likely slide in at center.

Seriously, head over to the siouxsports.com forum, there is always a ton of chatter going on. Like I said, I'm not stating UND is where they need to be from a program standpoint, and they are certainly not where MT has been on a consistent basis, but head over there and you will learn much more about the team ... enough to know they are not pretenders.

I guess we'll have to wait for the season to start, but between a much improved (an still young) program, and the cakewalk schedule. UND has a very legit shot of finishing number 1 or 2.

Come back in November, so I can say "I told you so"

I'll do my best to visit periodically :) Good luck this season.

Sam A. Blitz said:
It is really interesting that the California based schools struggle so much, especially Davis. Very good school with a huge population base surrounding it. Poly has had some very tough squads, but they always seem to struggle being consistent. Sac St always seem to be a talented team with the ability to beat anybody, but always ends up at .500 or under.

I can never figure out what Cal Poly's issue is, but I can only guess it is their style of play and how there opponents match up against the triple option. Like you said, always a consistency issue there. Definitely some talent on their roster though.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
siouxfan512 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Holy crap...theres Sioux football fans???

Surprising I know! haha, we're still not back to the number of fans we had back in the D2 days. Coach Mussman really killed our program during the transition, but Bubba is working really hard to get the program back to where it was and bring the fans back. Obviously winning would solve a lot of issues.

I also think an on campus stadium would really help, particularly with the student fan base; but that is still probably a few years down the road. The Alerus Center is a nice facility, though sometimes feels like a big pole barn. Gets loud in there and I just don't think student like having to drive to the game.

siouxfan512 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Wow. Someone actually typed this and wasn't trolling? I stopped reading when the QB was mentioned. Blah blah blah. The only reason the UNDies will win the BSC is because of that weak schedule. A scenario of Montana outbidding UND for in the playoffs and the Griz hosting another post season beat down could happen. Who knows tho. The beating could take place in Cedar Falls or Brookings. Hard to say.....
#OneAndDone

NLGrizFan said:
siouxfan512 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Wow. Someone actually typed this and wasn't trolling? I stopped reading when the QB was mentioned. Blah blah blah. The only reason the UNDies will win the BSC is because of that weak schedule. A scenario of Montana outbidding UND for in the playoffs and the Griz hosting another post season beat down could happen. Who knows tho. The beating could take place in Cedar Falls or Brookings. Hard to say.....
#OneAndDone

Sorry, not a fan of trolling. Just really anxious for some football. I agree, UND has a crazy weak schedule this season, which should make it easy to get into the playoff, but unfortunately doesn't prepare them well for the type of competition they could see in the playoffs. You're certainly not wrong with a potential 1 and done, though that could be said about almost anyone when the playoffs start. My personal hope is that UND continues to grow and develop as a team, and really gels as the season moves along. Only time will tell.

brewskis said:
UMGriz75 said:

Connect

I wouldn't say that the poll was a kiss of death.....EWU and MSU just couldn't defend worth a crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and that is being nice... :cry:

For all the talk of UND's easy sched, I think PSU may be even easier.

Sept 24 @ Southern Utah
Oct 1 Idaho St
Oct 8 @ Weber St
Oct 15 Cal Poly
Oct 29 Northern Colorado
Nov 5 UC-Davis
Nov 12 @ Sacramento St
Nov 18 Eastern Wash

Tuffest road games are SUU and WSU.
They got Cal Po and EWU at home.
No UM, NAU, UND, or MSU.

If they play anything like they did last year, the con title may be going through Portland.

The only real conclusion - The Big Sky conference should follow suit with UND. Change the name to something different. It sure as hell is not a conference that makes any sense. Moronic. Maybe the Big Sugar Puff or Big Cake Walk. Just depends on what team gets a patsy schedule every year. Sucks for the conference since teams could potentially win the BSC and then get throttled in the first round of the playoffs. Does any damn school actually like this conference? Oh wait - SUU likes it for now and UND/PSU like it this year as well.

Copper Griz said:
The only real conclusion - The Big Sky conference should follow suit with UND. Change the name to something different. It sure as hell is not a conference that makes any sense. Moronic. Maybe the Big Sugar Puff or Big Cake Walk. Just depends on what team gets a patsy schedule every year. Sucks for the conference since teams could potentially win the BSC and then get throttled in the first round of the playoffs. Does any damn school actually like this conference? Oh wait - SUU likes it for now and UND/PSU like it this year as well.

I agree. There are only 3-4 teams in the conference worth talking about, and if the schedule-makers avoid playing those teams, it could be a cake-walk. They ruined the conference when they expanded it. But its all about money now, not logic.

Back