• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz QB's

bgbigdog said:
UMGriz75 said:
Griz1 said:
UMGriz75 said:
He's pretty opinionated about coaches, and feels he needs to be the starting QB wherever he is. I am sure we are in for "interesting times."
You guys are doing a good job about creating something out of nothing. He didn't bad mouth anyone and he just said I want to play for a winner. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. The best quarterback for this team in Coach's eyes will be the starter regardless of who it is or what they may think.

End of conversation and pot stirring.
If Dawson's firing wasn't the last straw for Phillips, his decision became clear when Stoops announced that rising sophomore Drew Barker will be the Wildcats' starting quarterback for the 2016 season. That was a primary reason that Patrick Towles, who started 10 games for the Wildcats in 2015, decided to transfer to Boston College.

"That wasn't really fair to Pat or to me. Drew is a friend, but speaking honestly he didn't do anything special those last two games and Stoops still gave him the job. That wasn't fair," Phillips said. "I'm not the type to make excuses, but I never got beat out."
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/dec/27/phillips-weighing-numerous-fcs-options/342103/

He's a talker ... whether it's about his teammates or his coach, he lets you know what he's thinking.

You must admire this...

I am going to respond one last time.

What I am saying is simply that (1) he did not do anything to undermine the team (2) he made the decision to leave when he didn't think he received a fair shot without staying and being a cancer to the team (3) he didn't bad mouth anyone when he got beat out by Towles that I can find (4) Coach Stitt who knew the coaches involved with him, wouldn't take him if he was a trouble maker (5) I admit I am assuming this point, but I am sure the media went to him to find out why he was leaving, which is their job, and not the other way around and finally (6) he didn't duck the issue and answered how he felt and I admire him for that. Listen to his radio interview and he comes across as a well spoken kid that wants to win and I hear no bitterness in what he says or how he says it.

Does this make him a talker IMO I don't think so.

mtgriz said:
I have no problem with the glut of QB candidates. Even the best talent evaluators in the world (NFL personnel execs and scouts) whiff on a lot more than they hit.

Stitt is smart to increase his odds of finding a QB that has the raw talent but more importantly, the intangible "it" factor that leads to championships.

Do you think after a while this "glut" will hurt recruiting by chasing away people who don't want to be part of that ?

fanofzoo said:
mtgriz said:
I have no problem with the glut of QB candidates. Even the best talent evaluators in the world (NFL personnel execs and scouts) whiff on a lot more than they hit.

Stitt is smart to increase his odds of finding a QB that has the raw talent but more importantly, the intangible "it" factor that leads to championships.

Do you think after a while this "glut" will hurt recruiting by chasing away people who don't want to be part of that ?

Only if the glut is a talented glut, in which case people being chased away will be a non issue.

Griz1 said:
UMGriz75 said:
CaryGrant said:
I definitely don't like the fact the young man went to the media and spoke about his old coach and teammates, but at the same time I can understand his frustration towards Stoops for ruining any chance he as at the Medical RS.
He's pretty opinionated about coaches, and feels he needs to be the starting QB wherever he is. I am sure we are in for "interesting times."

You guys are doing a good job about creating something out of nothing. He didn't bad mouth anyone and he just said I want to play for a winner. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. The best quarterback for this team in Coach's eyes will be the starter regardless of who it is or what they may think.

End of conversation and pot stirring.
75 could write a trilogy about nothing :thumb:

Griz1 said:
I am going to respond one last time.

What I am saying is simply that (1) he did not do anything to undermine the team (2) he made the decision to leave when he didn't think he received a fair shot without staying and being a cancer to the team (3) he didn't bad mouth anyone when he got beat out by Towles that I can find (4) Coach Stitt who knew the coaches involved with him, wouldn't take him if he was a trouble maker (5) I admit I am assuming this point, but I am sure the media went to him to find out why he was leaving, which is their job, and not the other way around and finally (6) he didn't duck the issue and answered how he felt and I admire him for that.

Does this make him a talker IMO I don't think so.
He complained publicly that his coach agreed to redshirt him and then backed out on the deal, that the starting QB didn't deserve the position, that his coach was unfair to him and to another QB, and then he quit the team.

He obviously didn't get the "Ash Memo."

But, you're right. He definitely didn't "duck the issue." No one has accused the lad of "holding back."

Looks like he has plenty of talent, he is not shy and he articulates his opinions of his teammates and coaches clearly and concisely. I look forward to his contributions. They could be interesting in all sorts of ways. Post-game interviews ought to be a hoot. With his level of fluency, I can imagine what he will be saying about Griz opponents.

I am kinda with old 75 on Reese Phillips in so far as his speaking out. I can't wait for the cat game when and if he is playing QB in that game. Can you imagine him giving it to the msu group before during and after the game.

Sure some of you will cry and say he is giving msu some incentive but lets get real here, the msu team needs all the help they can get and during melt down November? It could and should make a better game out of it, perhaps we will only win by 17 instead of 35, eh?

Latest posts

Back