• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Rumor: to 1-A

As to the MSU question, one must consider the scenario under which the Griz would join the WAC.

After King George is indicted due to financial scandals, a new president, Harry Fritz, is appointed to the University of Montana. Unlike King George, this president has a policy that departments are allowed to keep the money that they bring in. This policy especially helps the athletic department, as King George had been taking money from the athletic department for years, and diverting it to his friends.
Now, the athletic department goes to president Fritz and explains that the department is well, but could be better. Specifically, the department would be able to award more scholarships if it were in the Western Athletic Conference rather than the Big Sky Conference. To offset these scholarships, the athletic department would raise more revenue through increased television payouts, payouts for traveling to road games, and the ability to schedule 12 or 13 football games, rather than 11 games. It will also help bring people to basketball games. There are some additional costs to being in the WAC, but these are minor, as the program has already been operating at a WAC level.
A formal analysis is done, and it is determined, by those who balance costs and benefits, that the Griz athletic department can better fulfill its mission as a member of the WAC. The athletic department will increase revenue and scholarships, which are its goals. An oracle is consulted, a statistician known as Jeff Sagarin, who announces that the Griz will be an upper tier program in the WAC, and should expect to win between 7-9 games most seasons, and the MPC bowl in the next five seasons. Some bald guy with a beer gut predicts a gloomy future, but he is ignored, as Sagarin is respected enough to help make the $100 million decision known as the BCS bowl bids. However, in response to the bald guy with a beer gut; while some fans may no longer attend if the Griz have a bad season, that will be counterbalanced by fan attendance for home-home deals with Wazzu and Wyoming.
When asked why this was not done earlier, the athletic department explained that King George would not allow the athletic department to discuss moving to the WAC. Many in the department suspected that it was a good move, but Dennison would never allow it to happen, as the world would know the bad things he did to the athletic department.

Fritz takes this news to the Board of Regents, a strange organization indeed. Initially, the Board of Regents is skeptical, but is swayed by the dollar signs. However, one regent dressed in blue and gold starts taking about a rivalry, and how it would not be fair for Montana to be in the WAC when Montana State competes in the Big Sky Conference. Fritz points out that there is no reason why Montana State would not be able to join Montana in the WAC, if they can demonstrate that it would be the best course for Montana State. The other regents agree, and Montana State studies its athletic department.

However, at Montana State, things are not as well. The department heavily relies on money from the state, money diverted from academic endeavors. For Montana State to join the WAC, it would have to greatly increase it spending, to comply with Title IX, and greatly improve its facilities. Montana State would not be a desirable opponent, and would not be paid nearly as much as Montana to play football at Oregon or Iowa. For Montana State to join the WAC, much money will be required. Undeterred, the regent asks who will pay the millions of dollars needed each year for Montana State to be in the WAC.

The regent first asks the students. However, the students voted not to support the athletic department last time they were asked, and were forced to support the athletic department against their will. Next, the regent asks the faculty, who laugh and point out that Montana State University already gives too much money to the athletic department. The regent tries to ask the taxpayers. However, other regents point out that Montana State is already diverting one millions dollars per year of taxpayer money into its athletic department, above that which Montana does. Therefore, the regent goes to the Bobcat fans, who whine and moan about the Grizzlies moving, but aren't willing to buy the tickets or make the donations necessary for the Bobcats to be in the WAC. Eventually, the regent is forced to talk about rivalry and fairness, but not bring up the issue of money, lest the regents realize that Montana State needs to reconsider how it spends its money.

However, at this point, the regents have had more than enough. They send additional indictments to Deer Lodge and Dennison over the handling of athletic department money and tell Montana State that it needs to reconsider how it uses the money it is given by the state. They also tell Montana State that there is no way Montana will be forced to stay in the same conference as Montana State due to Montana State running an inept athletic department. The regents are reminded of an important history lesson by President Fritz, that money talks and bullshit walks. Montana is allowed to do what it sees best, regardless of what Montana State wants.

After King George is indicted due to financial scandals, a new president, Harry Fritz, is appointed to the University of Montana.

Man, you are sounding like the cloan of either Howard Dean or Michael Moore. Probably depends on your body build - the grey matter would be indistinguishable. You are a :dope:

Tom

After King George is indicted due to financial scandals,

Great Post!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Apparently, the proponents of a move to I-A think that there are deeper pockets in this state than reality. Do you realize how much effort is undertaken to raise enough to fund the current number of scholarships? It would be very difficult to ramp up to the level needed to fund all the extra scholarships.

Put your money where your mouth is:

Donate to the GSA!

I do not have a dog in the D1A vs D1AA fight but I did attend Marshall and know that an equal number of people wanted to remain AA as being a big fish was important (they thought).

Boise State had a few that wanted to stay AA but not near as many as Marshall. Marshall had much more success in D1AA than Boise State but both made the transission without a problem and both want to move up again to a BCS conference.

Missoula has to have more money than Huntington, WV. UM does not have the location of the U of I. with a PAC 10 team 8 miles away.

Boise State does not have a bunch of corporate donors that everyone on this board seem to think. Micron has put in a good deal of money into the engineering program but little if any into the football program. Albertsons Corporation is sold, broke and moving out of the area. Former MK is owned by a Griz and that is about it. The fan base is paying for the upgrades that include a new indoor practice facility now being used. Boise does have some individuals that have resources and some of them have stepped up. The stadium has been looking for naming rights for the last 10 years and haven't come up with a corporate taker. Taco Bell stepped up for the basketball arena for the naming rights.

Last time Oregon State came to town, I scalped 4 tickets for $400.00 over their face value. BSU is lucky to fill the stadium with a Portland State.

Playoff games in D1AA are only good if played in your backyard. Last three years Boise has had bowl games in Memphis, Fort Worth and at home in Boise. Not bad for an old Big Sky team.

What I have found is that some communities will accept a middle of the road program and some will not. A coach with a 6-5 record in Boise would be looking for a job.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername? said:
I can't f*****g believe the I-A v. I-AA threads still garner 10 pages of responses.

That is all.

It would only be 5 pages if we had less of the type you just posted. If you are so upset about it, don't read it. :lame:

Donkeyrider,

Didn't Boise have to pay up to be in a bowl game(s) a few years ago. If I remember right, they had to pay about $500k to play in one with a 6-5 record. Not a slam here, just a question. Maybe it was that they had to pay to host it???

I think they had to guarantee a certain number of tickets to the game (which totaled about $500K). I know some teams have had to show that their fans would travel before they were invited to certain bowl games.

Some bowl games do require that a number of tickets are purchased but the payout is a minimum of $750,000 for each team. Marshall played in the Motor City Bowl one year and ending up losing $98K on the deal as they took the band for the entire week. Also the tickets about (20,000)were given (sold to as part of the MAC gurantee to the MCB) to the other MAC schools in the area and most found there way into the Huntington market at a much reduced price. This is according to the local paper in Huntington. Marshall has stiff competition from WVU in support for the university. About 50 miles to the east is about all of the local support. To the north and west you have Ohio U. and everywhere in Ohio you get your Buckeye fan card with the mortage to the house. (I lived in Ironton, Ohio which is 20 miles from Huntington) and everyone was a OU or OSU fan.

Boise State has not been to a bowl that was not attended well and have not had to do any guarantees of tickets so far. Last year the WAC collected $2.5 million in bowl money from the three bowl games plus some from the BCS as hush money to stay out of court.

The only facilityat BSU that has a corporate name is the Taco Bell Arena and it was built years ago and it is just naming rights and had nothing to do with the construction. The President of Micon donated the tennis facility out of his pocket as a former tennis team player at BSU. Individuals are putting up all of the money at BSU. The AD would love to have more corporate money but all they are getting is advertising space sold in every venue.

Boise had to increase the size of the stadium to 30,000 when they joined D1A as it was then a requirement. That since has been dropped. A few women's sports have been added such as skiing and soccer and softball may be on the drawing board as Boise State has quite a few more women than men as students and Title IX comes into play.

Corporations are leasing some of the new skyboxes that will be under construction next January. Check out the BSU website and see how many of the facilities has a corporate name and how many have individuals names attached to the facility.

Donkeyrider,

Thanks for the posts. Your point about Title IX is an often overlooked cost that any school must endure if men's scholarships are increased. Either you have to cut them from other men's sports or you have to add an equal amount to women's sports. So, in essence, you have to double your money/costs.

It is not easy to raise that much money for a move to I-A and it is risky. What happens when the economy cycles down?

Title IX is the major expense of moving to D1A. It does kill wrestling as was mentioned not only at the D1 level but even more so at the DII level. Nevada-Reno dumped mens track and field when they moved to D1A. I doubt that BSU will have a men's baseball team in the near future. (20 years)

If a school can get past the Title IX, the move to D1A is pretty easy or an institution that has good support for their football program. There is no doubt that football revenue will increase as will interest in the program. (priority seating and increased ticket prices are sure to come) The downside is that when you increase the size of the football team, there has to be an offset in other men's programs or an addition in the women's sports.

The move may not be something that the Griz want to do but I think it should be discussed as the landscape is changing all of the time and you should try to stay in front of the curve.

"If a school can get past the Title IX, the move to D1A is pretty easy or an institution that has good support for their football program. There is no doubt that football revenue will increase as will interest in the program."

"The move may not be something that the Griz want to do but I think it should be discussed as the landscape is changing all of the time and you should try to stay in front of the curve."

Very well said donkeyrider. If the landscape changes the Griz are in a better position to adapt than any other I-AA program.

donkeyrider said:
(and increased ticket prices are sure to come)

This is a likely true statement that should not be overlooked. It rolls off the tongue but it could have devastating consequences. In you haven't lived there lately (or haven't left), Missoula does not have a very strong economic base and has low average income level relative to many places. I think to be successful in the long run the Griz need to be the team the average guy and his family can afford to watch because the transplanted Californians (as an example) will attend games while they are the place to be. If you lose that glow due to losing games, they will lose interest and the thing will unravel quicker than a cheap pair of panty hose. I am at the edge of what I can afford regardless of 1-A or 1-AA affiliation.

Back