• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Running Game

Evers said:
In this offensive system (last year I guess), I do not recall us being able to run wide plays very effectively. I think the reason is that our O-linemen are not quick and mobile enough to get outside, so our backs get stuffed way too much on these plays. I wish we would get away from recruiting these 6'7 behemoths who have little quickness. Give me a 6'4", 285 ATHLETIC kid any day, and I'll shown you a running game using zone blocking, pulling linemen, and trap plays. Think Pittsburgh Steelers.

Outside of the two "rush-heavy" teams (Cal Poly & PSU) Montana had the highest YPG average, more TD's than every team but MSU, and a higher YPC average than every team but EWU. All those yards weren't gained up the middle.

Yeah Evers, cuz Chase Reynolds only rang up one of the greatest rushing careers in Grizzly history behind three of the most beheamoth offensive lines in the history FCS football. Yeah that type of running game, with those type of offensive linemen has NEVER WORKED in Missoula. :shock:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
grizcountry420 said:
I really doubt the o-line will be any better this year than last year.. They got beat so many times last year. I'll be surprised if that changes..

Nothing is going to change, offense, defense or special teams. We will give up 500+ yards against any team worth a damn and do nothing to change that during the game. But it wont be the players or coaches fault.

There is no blame ever when it comes to UM football, not now not ever, not legally.

You have been warned.

:coffee:

Nice job AG1. This post may rival your epic rant on the Ivy League a few months back. You continue to up your game. That's nice to see.

AZGrizFan said:
Evers said:
In this offensive system (last year I guess), I do not recall us being able to run wide plays very effectively. I think the reason is that our O-linemen are not quick and mobile enough to get outside, so our backs get stuffed way too much on these plays. I wish we would get away from recruiting these 6'7 behemoths who have little quickness. Give me a 6'4", 285 ATHLETIC kid any day, and I'll shown you a running game using zone blocking, pulling linemen, and trap plays. Think Pittsburgh Steelers.

Outside of the two "rush-heavy" teams (Cal Poly & PSU) Montana had the highest YPG average, more TD's than every team but MSU, and a higher YPC average than every team but EWU. All those yards weren't gained up the middle.

Interesting stats. Didn't know that. Thanks.

OL need to be agile quick & more athletic now than they were ever 6-8 years ago. Defenses had the drop on offense during that time so it was more of a ground and pound approach for most clubs then.

Offenses we forced to combat that with advantages by formation & creating matchup problems w RBs that could catch the ball & out maneuver LBs in space. Now it all about winning by formation & matchups.

But I do agree that a slobber knockin FB is still a great weapon to have. We may already have him with Jamal Wilson (5'11 240) but if they dont give him the damn ball we wont ever know. Its pretty obvious he's physical because i watched him knock snot from the noses of nearly every team we played last year.

That kid has earned a little shine cause he sure does a lot of dirty work that seems to go unnoticed & he dont seem to mind one damn bit! Love that shit in a football player. Love it.

BigPawzSharpClawz said:
OL need to be agile quick & more athletic now than they were ever 6-8 years ago. Defenses had the drop on offense during that time so it was more of a ground and pound approach for most clubs then.

Offenses we forced to combat that with advantages by formation & creating matchup problems w RBs that could catch the ball & out maneuver LBs in space. Now it all about winning by formation & matchups.

But I do agree that a slobber knockin FB is still a great weapon to have. We may already have him with Jamal Wilson (5'11 240) but if they dont give him the damn ball we wont ever know. Its pretty obvious he's physical because i watched him knock snot from the noses of nearly every team we played last year.

That kid has earned a little shine cause he sure does a lot of dirty work that seems to go unnoticed & he dont seem to mind one damn bit! Love that shit in a football player. Love it.

Unfortunately he's also been very up front about NOT wanting the ball.

I am repeating myself and I have never coached football so take this with a grain of salt, but if the Griz run the occasional FB dive even once or twice a game, won't it hold the MLB for at least a count or two so that he can't just key and flow to the TB? I am aware Wilson doesn't want the rock but Hagfors had a few carries in the spring game, maybe he can be that guy.
That might help the runs outside the tackles because the MLB won't be able to key on the TB.

SaskGriz said:
I am repeating myself and I have never coached football so take this with a grain of salt, but if the Griz run the occasional FB dive even once or twice a game, won't it hold the MLB for at least a count or two so that he can't just key and flow to the TB? I am aware Wilson doesn't want the rock but Hagfors had a few carries in the spring game, maybe he can be that guy.
That might help the runs outside the tackles because the MLB won't be able to key on the TB.

Probably true, and I don't disagree with you, but my guess is that the coaches want to have Wilson as the lead blocker on as many runs as possible (and not using any play to fake to him, to help set up his occasional runs). Of course, the rare handoff to him might be surprise enough for his run. It seems to me that, when he's in the game and its a run, he leads on virtually every run. Thus, I assume he's a defensive key, i.e. watch where he's going because the play is coming that way. He's a great blocker and a beast. The coaches sometimes describe him as a lineman with a back's number. I too would like to see him get an occasional carry.

I know you didn't write that post because you were not condescending, you were not taking personal shots and you answered a direct question.

Whoever wrote that is correct and should get his own screen name. Especially the part about Wilson being a defensive key. When he is in the offense basically loses a skill player and the OL gets one. The defense never needs to worry about him carrying the ball.

He also "leans" tipping the play direction not all the time but he gets weight on his outside leg at times and when he does this he is 100% going that way on assignment.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
I know you didn't write that post because you were not condescending, you were not taking personal shots and you answered a direct question.

Whoever wrote that is correct and should get his own screen name. Especially the part about Wilson being a defensive key. When he is in the offense basically loses a skill player and the OL gets one. The defense never needs to worry about him carrying the ball.

He also "leans" tipping the play direction not all the time but he gets weight on his outside leg at times and when he does this he is 100% going that way on assignment.

Come on, you don't know what you are talking about and never do. Sounds like you are damn observant though. :lol: :thumb:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

If that part is true, and it could well be, that needs to be corrected. As well it could be used to the Griz advantage to set up counter and misdirection plays.

havgrizfan said:
Yeah Evers, cuz Chase Reynolds only rang up one of the greatest rushing careers in Grizzly history behind three of the most beheamoth offensive lines in the history FCS football. Yeah that type of running game, with those type of offensive linemen has NEVER WORKED in Missoula. :shock:

You need to re-read my post. I am not discussing ancient history. Chase Reynold was a special back, and most of his yardage was gained between the tackles. So, what is your point? My post was referring to our current offense run last year. We tried many times to get our RBs outside on the edge, with very little success. I remember, as I am sure you do, the many outside running plays for losses last season. It was not for having a lack of RBs capable of running outside, it was because our O-line were not quick enough to get outside to block for them. Quoting stats about how we ranked in the Big Sky running the back has no relevance to my post.

SaskGriz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

If that part is true, and it could well be, that needs to be corrected. As well it could be used to the Griz advantage to set up counter and misdirection plays.
:cool: :cool:

He spent all last season setting up THIS season. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Disagree, that would be creative................:coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Disagree, that would be creative................:coffee:

He is a Rembrandt on the football field, my friend.

BigPawzSharpClawz said:
...I do agree that a slobber knockin FB is still a great weapon to have. We may already have him with Jamal Wilson (5'11 240) but if they dont give him the damn ball we wont ever know. Its pretty obvious he's physical because i watched him knock snot from the noses of nearly every team we played last year.

Which brought to mind that I noticed that the 2014 recruiting class had a Riley Kack listed as a FB (fullback?)(6'2" 240 lbs) out of Bozeman. Cited as fifth in school history with 82 TDs < http://www.kbzk.com/news/griz-announce-2014-football-recruiting-class/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (eleventh played mentioned), and also < http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012214aad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinking this may be a FB-type of player, on further research I find he wore #72 and is listed as a T / DE < http://www.hudl.com/athlete/883350/riley-kack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All well and good since he is also 1st-Team All-State Class AA as an offensive lineman and also cited as a member of the offense ALL-USA Montana < http://www.usatodayhss.com/amfam/article/2013-american-family-insurance-all-usa-montana-football-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I'm confused. Are the Griz bringing in an offensive lineman to play FB? But even with that there may be other players cited for certain positions on the recruiting list that may or may not be accurate once Fall Camp opens up as well as this instance reflects.

Looks like it's going to be an interesting year, nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back