• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How to stop the triple-option

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Bear Axed said:
ya some of us already read this...... :thumb:

plaiagrize much?

http://www.dawgsports.com/2008/11/24/668152/defending-the-triple-optio

:oops:

I have never read that article, so STFU. I know this stuff because I am a student of the game. Just because I school you on football issues, you don't have to be a jerk. Of course, we all know that is your MO for me and your dreaded Bobcats.

I found a good article, it's a couple seasons old but it's written about the Buckeyes trying to stop Navy's option (which is very similar to Poly's, using a single FB behind the QB and sweeping the 2 A-backs). It does a nice job of going through each defensive group and what they should be cuing on/watching for.

SaskGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Bear Axed said:

plaiagrize much?

I have never read that article, so STFU. I know this stuff because I am a student of the game. Just because I school you on football issues, you don't have to be a jerk. Of course, we all know that is your MO for me and your dreaded Bobcats.

I found a good article, it's a couple seasons old but it's written about the Buckeyes trying to stop Navy's option (which is very similar to Poly's, using a single FB behind the QB and sweeping the 2 A-backs). It does a nice job of going through each defensive group and what they should be cuing on/watching for.
Right......

I was just thinking about Bob Uecker's response when someone asked him what is the best way to catch a knuckle ball...his response was "wait until it stops rolling and then bend over and pick it up"...a decent Ueckerism and somewhat salient to this discussion...a triple option is sort of like a good knuckle ball...it frustrates the crap out of opponents, it doesn't look like it should work, but it does and sometimes it's hard to do anything to stop it...that being said, I think the Griz have enough defense and certainly enough offense to win the game.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
Hammer said:
Its gap assignment football. Do your job and expect your teammate to do his. Don't over pursue. And if you can rock the QB's world early in the game, those pitches will come out a tad bit earlier than normal which could lead to turnovers. And, as Atl said, have to stop the dive and don't let the QB gash you off of play action! :shock:

This more than anything. Not really that complicated. Blitz against triple option is typically not a good strategy. Blitzing, creates space, which is what these offenses thrive off of. Keep everything in front of you and take care of your assignment. Sound tackling will also be crucial. We did not tackle well last year.

I agree with Hammer that assignment football is the base to stop the option. However, an occasional run blitz from outside the tackles (usually by the strong safety) really disrupts their triple option, providing we guess correctly as to which side they run to option to. I have watched several Georgia/Georgia Tech games, and Georgia was very effective using this blitz against the Yellowjackets.

Interesting that Georgia did that. I like an aggressive blitzing defense (see screen name), but from my experience blitzing an option team is asking for trouble against an offense designed to capitalize on open space. Blitzing a strong safety seems especially risky.

JayLarson said:
Hit them hard and hit them often, the FB, the RB's, and especially the QB, make him want to get rid of the ball quickly!

My thoughts also. ALWAYS hit the QB. Get him gun shy.

Hammer said:
Its gap assignment football. Do your job and expect your teammate to do his. Don't over pursue. And if you can rock the QB's world early in the game, those pitches will come out a tad bit earlier than normal which could lead to turnovers. And, as Atl said, have to stop the dive and don't let the QB gash you off of play action! :shock:

Totally agree and add that we used to read the guards with our inside linebackers. In a wing-T/option offense, the guards will take you to the point of attack 90% or greater of the time. Teams will use some false pulls by their guards, but most often they are the spear leading the attack.

Keys are tackling, having defensive backs that don't need help on the outside and having speed.

2011 semi final game between Georgia Southern and NDSU was the best I have ever seen it defended.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Keys are tackling, having defensive backs that don't need help on the outside and having speed.

2011 semi final game between Georgia Southern and NDSU was the best I have ever seen it defended.
^^THIS

Georgia Southern was real solid that year as well. Ty should go back and watch some of that film. Stitt said he was adding some wrinkles that he brought with him from CSM to add to what Ty has done in the past. I wonder what wrinkles those would be. Honestly though, TG has not had much success against Cal Poly, so I hope hes got some things worked out this time around.

Problem is...How do you teach a defense, that other than one game a year you say "fast and play with instinct", to for this ONE GAME "be patient and read the options...These are 19-21 year old kids that are suppose to attach every play like their starting spot depended on it. Not saying it can't be done, but everyone here is talking like it is an easy thing for these kids to learn in a week.

AlaskaGriz said:
Stack the box, safety can spy on qb. CB are a lot better this year so they can fend for themselves.

I disagree. Don't want to get beat deep off play action. Just play assignment based football and tackle well is your best chance.

Hammer said:
AlaskaGriz said:
Stack the box, safety can spy on qb. CB are a lot better this year so they can fend for themselves.

I disagree. Don't want to get beat deep off play action. Just play assignment based football and tackle well is your best chance.

Bingo! And score often and early, option game has trouble playing from behind

Bear Axed said:
SaskGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Bear Axed said:

plaiagrize much?

Right......

Sorry Bear Axed, I didn't realize I hadn't included the article. :lol: I can see where one might find that post lacking in "the big finish".
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/05/35605/film-study-defending-navy-flexbone

Sam A. Blitz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
Hammer said:

This more than anything. Not really that complicated. Blitz against triple option is typically not a good strategy. Blitzing, creates space, which is what these offenses thrive off of. Keep everything in front of you and take care of your assignment. Sound tackling will also be crucial. We did not tackle well last year.

I agree with Hammer that assignment football is the base to stop the option. However, an occasional run blitz from outside the tackles (usually by the strong safety) really disrupts their triple option, providing we guess correctly as to which side they run to option to. I have watched several Georgia/Georgia Tech games, and Georgia was very effective using this blitz against the Yellowjackets.

Interesting that Georgia did that. I like an aggressive blitzing defense (see screen name), but from my experience blitzing an option team is asking for trouble against an offense designed to capitalize on open space. Blitzing a strong safety seems especially risky.

The blitz comes from outside the tackle. Again, it is a risk/reward type of blitz, but in reality all blitzs are risk/reward, right? It is basically a 50/50 shot to guess whether the option will be run to the left or to the right. If the defense guesses correctly, it can really disrupt the play and lead to a big loss, or even a fumble (I have seen it cause a fumble a couple of times). Sometimes a defense can figure out a key as to which side the offense will be running to. If so, this can substantially increase the odds of blitzing to the correct side. And, it does not have to be the strong safety blitzing, it can be a LB from the other side to disguise the blitz better. If Poly decides to pass the ball on a blitz, however, it could result in a huge gain. Since most triple option teams rely on avoiding negative running plays in order for the offense to work, the prospect of throwing Poly for a 5-7 yard loss may be very appealing. If they use it, I think it would only be 3-4 times the entire game. They will probably just play it straight though, knowing how Ty plays his defense. I think Breske would use it however.

Back