• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

I'll just leave this here

havgrizfan said:
Eriul, CR coughed up the rock which led to a score and the Griz botched a punt attempt too, Tru got smoked a couple times in that game too. Whats your point?

Yah Tru didn't have his best game. I don't mind the CR fumble as I think the hc tackle sort of forced it.

EverettGriz said:
Selle was a god in that game. Period.

Uhh... I dunno if you remember that game so well... Did he redeem himself at the end? I guess. He ended with a 137 QBR which is fine. I would not even come close to saying a "god." He had an even TD/turnover ratio.

My point was that he was a big part of the reason we were so behind. Let's look.

1st drive(3 and out): 1/1 7 yards
2nd drive(8 plays 7 yards): 2/7 18 yards
3rd drive(1 play fumble): Chase fumble
4th drive(3 and out): Selle out
5th drive(3 and out): Selle out
6th drive(3 plays interception): 1/2 1 yard 1 interception. Horrible ball/decision. Completely on Selle here
7th drive(3 plays td): 1/1 18 yards to Mariani. TD run by Chase.
8th drive(1 play td): 1/1 25 yards to Palmer. Great throw. Kind of bad coverage but great play for Selle.
9th drive(3 plays interception):0/2 interception. Again. Horrible ball/decision. Completely on Selle here. Threw right to the defender.
10th drive(fumble): 0/1 I mean I don't think you can blame this entirely on Selle but he had enough time in the pocket(5 seconds). He knows he's under pressure and tries to scramble but doesn't secure the ball and fumbles.)
11th drive/12th drive(nothing): Selle was pulled for Roper.

So when the game was 41-14. Selle was 6/15, 69 yards, 1 td, 2 int, and a fumble. That's a QBR rating of 74 with a turnover ratio of 3:1. For comparison's sake. That QBR wouldn't even get you listed amongst FCS QB's and not in the top 105.

I think he redeemed himself a bit with the comeback but also I think the majority of that credit goes to Mariani being not only incredible but for some reason wide open? If you watch the replay he finds space so often...it was kinda crazy. The one TD to mariani where Selle pumps was a good pass and I will give him credit for that.

I'm not entirely blaming Selle but I'm definitely not giving him credit for the comeback. TBH I think our team played horrible as a whole that game. No reason for the game to be close when we had the talent we had.

48-21 with 5 left in the 3rd, Mariani says "Enough of this," and puts the team on his back, creating so much momentum that nothing could stop us. It was a mistake-laden game to that point (which we can't afford this week), a first half surrendered so horribly that it made the last 20 minutes in which we displayed pure unadulterated skill pretty phenomenal.

His highlights in that video make me miss him so much (Cutler has no excuse though).

I'm also reminded of the distinct comradery and passion displayed by Hauck's teams. They were pumped about everything, especially on special teams, and simply wanted it more than the opponent. Shame we didn't want to give it to Mariani in the 2nd half of that year's championship - by any means necessary that is, he was making them all look like fools.

Well into the 3rd quarter, a friend in the NEZ asked me if I could remember the Grizzlies getting their assess kicked that badly in a playoff game. I smiled and replied that this game is not over. He told me I was full of sh__. I haven't seen him for a year or so, but he left me a message yesterday, excited about the memory.

Plainsman said:
Don't' forget. Thompson did the same thing to App State's receiver in that playoff game. Dude really knew how to lay the wood for his size.
That's what she said

Great post Everett. Good memories. And let's not forget Severin Fricking Campbell. What a great player he was in that game. The App State game was another. What a great progression of quality DE's we have had, but that injury he got the next year was awful.

Latest posts

Back