• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Introducing Men’s Tennis....

A pretty good run for the Griz. Gonna be a rebuilding process though next year with 4 of the 7 roster members being graduating Sr’s. Next years team will return Sr Alexander Canellopoulos, and Jr’s Ludvig Hallgren and Max Korkh who all had very successful seasons. Next years incoming Fr have yet to be signed and I’m guessing not tell this summer. Not sure if Jason Brown will stay on as the interim Head Coach. It would probably be beneficial given the success they had this year.

Here’s the link to the season recap on GoGriz.
http://gogriz.com/news/2018/4/28/mens-tennis-griz-run-out-of-gas-in-championship.aspx
In the team's first year without Kris Nord at the helm since 1986, Brown led the Grizzlies to a litany of first-ever accomplishments.

Consider the following:

• At 7-0, Montana went undefeated at home for only the third time in program history and tied the 2011 mark for most wins in an undefeated season at home.

• Casadevall became the first Grizzly ever to advance to the quarterfinal of the ITA Mountain Region tournament, placing him among the most accomplished players in the western United States.

• Schmidl and Canellopoulos became the first male Grizzlies ever to earn a national ranking from the ITA, coming in at No. 77 in the March 7 rankings.

• Schmidl and Casadevall combined to win the Big Sky Player of the Week award three times in April, a feat that has only occurred six times in program history.

• At 10-1, Schmid and Korkh will finish the season as the Big Sky's top overall doubles team with a .909 winning percentage on court two.

• The Griz defeated Idaho in the regular season for the first time since 2011.

Here’s a link to a post I posted after the fall season to some of the major accomplishments they had.
https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?t=78261

alabamagrizzly said:
A pretty good run for the Griz. Gonna be a rebuilding process though next year with 4 of the 7 roster members being graduating Sr’s. Next years team will return Sr Alexander Canellopoulos, and Jr’s Ludvig Hallgren and Max Korkh who all had very successful seasons. Next years incoming Fr have yet to be signed and I’m guessing not tell this summer. Not sure if Jason Brown will stay on as the interim Head Coach. It would probably be beneficial given the success they had this year.

http://gogriz.com/news/2018/4/28/mens-tennis-griz-run-out-of-gas-in-championship.aspx
In the team's first year without Kris Nord at the helm since 1986, Brown led the Grizzlies to a litany of first-ever accomplishments.

Consider the following:

• At 7-0, Montana went undefeated at home for only the third time in program history and tied the 2011 mark for most wins in an undefeated season at home.

• Casadevall became the first Grizzly ever to advance to the quarterfinal of the ITA Mountain Region tournament, placing him among the most accomplished players in the western United States.

• Schmidl and Canellopoulos became the first male Grizzlies ever to earn a national ranking from the ITA, coming in at No. 77 in the March 7 rankings.

• Schmidl and Casadevall combined to win the Big Sky Player of the Week award three times in April, a feat that has only occurred six times in program history.

• At 10-1, Schmid and Korkh will finish the season as the Big Sky's top overall doubles team with a .909 winning percentage on court two.

Here’s a link to a post I posted after the fall season to some of the major accomplishments they had.

I never thought I'd be posting about tennis (and I agree this thread probably doesn't belong here), and I have only witnessed one Griz tennis match in my life, back when they played on campus between the UC and Aber Hall, but hell Yes J-Brown deserves mad props for making this a relevant and positive sport at UM.

Zirg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Consider the following:

I never thought I'd be posting about tennis (and I agree this thread probably doesn't belong here), and I have only witnessed one Griz tennis match in my life, back when they played on campus between the UC and Aber Hall, but hell Yes J-Brown deserves mad props for making this a relevant and positive sport at UM.

I've known Jason a long time. Played tennis against him when he was at Conrad, and we played summer tennis together a lot for two years. He eats, breaths and sleeps the sport, and now, Griz tennis. He's a great guy, and would make a hell of a fulltime head coach if he is given that opportunity.

Kris Nord developed a good program at UM and Brown was his assistant the past few years. I’m sure he learned a lot from Kris which would have included recruiting.
If Brown, wants the position, it would be good to give him the opportunity.

Not to dismiss Nord's long dedication to the program, but he WAS coaching 2 sports at once, and I don't know how anyone can devote their 100% effort into either sport under those circumstances.

although Jud Heathcote was able to have great success in 2 sports (before anyone can beat me to that punch-line). I believe Jud is the ONLY NCAA coach to win a National Championship in 2 sports, although not many ppl know that bit of trivia

Zirg said:
although Jud Heathcote was able to have great success in 2 sports (before anyone can beat me to that punch-line). I believe Jud is the ONLY NCAA coach to win a National Championship in 2 sports, although not many ppl know that bit of trivia

The UM handball national championship team photo is on the wall at the Mo Club.

PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:

The UM handball national championship team photo is on the wall at the Mo Club.

That is some interesting info I did not know. So was it a legit Division 1 NCAA championship or like a club team?

Back