• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is Engstrom Committed to Excellence in Football?

It’s called the “Flutie Effect.” In a 1984 game against the University of Miami, BC quarterback Doug Flutie threw a last-second “Hail Mary” pass 48 yards that was miraculously caught for a game-winning touchdown—a climactic capper on one of the most exciting college football games ever.

The play put BC on the map for college aspirants. In two years, applications had shot up 30 percent.

When a college goes from mediocre to great on the gridiron, applications increase by 18 percent.

Ever since, marketing experts and school deans have acknowledged the power of the Flutie Effect’s ability to transfer a successful collegiate athletic program into a hot ticket for admission. Georgetown University applications multiplied 45 percent between 1983 and 1986 following a surge of basketball success. Northwestern University applications advanced 21 percent after winning the Big Ten Championship in football.
When a school rises from mediocre to great on the gridiron, applications increase by 18.7 percent.

To attain similar effects, a school has to either lower tuition by 3.8 percent or increase the quality of its education by recruiting higher-quality faculty, who are paid 5 percent more than their average peers in the academic labor market.

Students with lower-than-average SAT scores tended to have a stronger preference for schools known for athletic success, while students with higher SAT scores preferred institutions with greater academic quality. Also, students with lower academic prowess valued the success of intercollegiate athletics for longer periods of time than the high SAT achievers.

Even students with high SAT scores are significantly affected by athletic success—one of the biggest surprises from the research, Chung says.

Schools become more academically selective with athletic success. -- "The Flutie Effect: How Athletic Success Boosts College Applications"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hbswork...athletic-success-boosts-college-applications/

http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication Files/13-067_86a0b712-f29e-423f-b614-0165b770dd65.pdf

Here's how this works. Somebody say something neutral or positive about Stitt, and then kemajic will rain on the parade with a real downer quip. Okay, got it? You start.

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Here's how this works. Somebody say something neutral or positive about Stitt, and then kemajic will rain on the parade with a real downer quip. Okay, got it? You start.

:lol: :clap:

Perfect.

AllWeatherFan said:

Nail meet head!

Ursa's nurse,

Nurse Mary Lovemore, LPN

AllWeatherFan said:
You're right; that's just what they are - parades.

Ursa Major said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Nail meet head!

Ursa's nurse,

Nurse Mary Lovemore, LPN

With all that's happened, don't tell me you can't type with your unburned appendage. I make 70% of my posts that wa asdlfkj;djfircijndck; Sorry, wife walked in. She's convinced that RE is committed to excellence in footbasdlkfja;sldkfcvjkdlj. Later.

kemajic said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I'm sorry, you're out of turn. We haven't had the "neutral or positive" yet!

AllWeatherFan said:
kemajic said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I'm sorry, you're out of turn. We haven't had the "neutral or positive" yet!

Haha!

is greenie committed to sucking up to the new coach?

i'd make it a new thread (because it has deeper meaning and isn't necessarily about greenie), but the mods wouldn't understand.

Back