• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jimbo Fisher blasts players

Status
Not open for further replies.
CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
In this case of this coaching staff, I hope they realize the importance of recruiting Montana kids. I don't think the Montana schools can be successful in the long run, keep attendance consistently high, and live without in the limited budget, without attracting the top Montana kids and the many lesser players and walk-ons who may develop into starters and will be contributors. I don't think as many people will drive long distances to most of the games, unless there are alot of Montana kids on the field, at least not in the long run.

I don't know where the new coaches line up on some of these things. I know they want to win. I know they want a clean program. I know they want to increase the level of talent and have more uniform commitment. In general, all of those things are positive.

Are you saying that Montana kids are soft......pampered.....lazy.....so they can't handle some tough love......

Nope. Two different subjects. On the subject of toughness and work ethic, former players have told me that one reason behind the importance of having alot of MT kids is that, overall, they are a bit tougher and have a better work ethic, and love the opportunity of playing with the Griz (or the Cats)--and that tends to rub off on the non-MT kids.

Hmmmm.... Growler and PR on the same page? Nice....
They are a lot alike, both trolls and both think they know more than they do

Raider said:
grizindabox said:
Raider said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Hmmmm.... Growler and PR on the same page? Nice....

I had the exact same thought. Ironic isn't it?

Maybe they can now meet at the Mo Club and bro out!

If you think I am growler.....you are very mistaken....

Uh, no, not at all.

Over on maroon blood, growlers rants on and on and on and on and on about the number of Montana kids. He even goes as far as flat out making players up that don't exist to support his argument.

We are just pointing out the irony that Jackie and Stevie agree.
Nobody reads that site so who cares

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizcountry420 said:
poorgriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
Its all overrated! I dont care where they come from, as long as we win games..

It's overrated unless the griz were focusing heavily on getting all the MT players they can while the Cats were looking elsewhere. Then most of griz nation would be preaching about how important it is to recruit MT players so heavily, and calling MSU Bozangeles, Texas U, etc. :roll:

The ones that are preaching about how important it is to recruit the state dont know much anyways..

But what if you "Own the State", and continously get beat down by the only other program in the state at your level? Is that not important? Or is that simply just a pathetic program making a false statement/catchy phrase?

Its like if Rice started using the phrase "Own the Lone Star state"....Texas, TCU, Baylor, TTech, A&M, Houston....they'd all just be like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Cats need to first focus on owning Reno H. Sales Grain Elevator and Rusty Bolt Bleacher Complex. Then, they can move on to owning the Bobcat Roll-up Modular Horseshoe Stadium. Then, they can move on to owning Gallatin County. This whole "own the state" thing is a bit far fetched.

VimSince03 said:
In this case of this coaching staff, I hope they realize the importance of recruiting Montana kids. I don't think the Montana schools can be successful in the long run, keep attendance consistently high, and live without in the limited budget, without attracting the top Montana kids and the many lesser players and walk-ons who may develop into starters and will be contributors. I don't think as many people will drive long distances to most of the games, unless there are alot of Montana kids on the field, at least not in the long run.

Get ready for the "I don't care where they come from" posts... :roll:

I don't really know how one evaluates who wins the state in recruiting, "quanity vs quality" or must have both .....I do know what puts fans butts in the stands and that is WINNING whether they are for l.a. , seattle, Denver, Portland or billings....they are all griz when you win.......just a fact of life.....like the old saying..."winners count their money and the loser says deal".

VimSince03 said:
catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Vim when are you guys going to get back into talking about "OwningTheState" and "BeatingTheSky" over there on BN? Its been boring. :)

I have a Montana Recruits 2017 thread over there. Go check it out! I could even tell you what 2017 Montana recruits the Griz are high on...and who they will likely land if you connect the dots.
Where do you rank the tailback from Big Fork I think had around thirteen hundred yards rushing last year , if I remember the playoff game against Loyola he had over three hundred all purpose yards ?

Matthew Farrier? I like him. Hits the hole hard, runs well, and is a good catcher out of the backfield. However, he is small at 5'9", 165 lbs. Fits into the slotback mold on offense. If he has any chance getting recruited by the FCS, it would be at corner in my opinion. He isn't currently in my top 50 but my top 50 will be changing throughout the year. I have about 5-6 running backs ahead of him and its going to be a down year for running backs in Montana next year. Right now, my top rated running back is Jase Stokes from Havre and he is #30 overall which basically means he is a PWO kid. And Stokes is more of a FB/LB type. If Matt puts up good track numbers and adds about 15 more pounds, he will get looks. He's athletic enough.
I've heard the griz invited him to junior day for whatever that's worth

catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
I have a Montana Recruits 2017 thread over there. Go check it out! I could even tell you what 2017 Montana recruits the Griz are high on...and who they will likely land if you connect the dots.
Where do you rank the tailback from Big Fork I think had around thirteen hundred yards rushing last year , if I remember the playoff game against Loyola he had over three hundred all purpose yards ?

Matthew Farrier? I like him. Hits the hole hard, runs well, and is a good catcher out of the backfield. However, he is small at 5'9", 165 lbs. Fits into the slotback mold on offense. If he has any chance getting recruited by the FCS, it would be at corner in my opinion. He isn't currently in my top 50 but my top 50 will be changing throughout the year. I have about 5-6 running backs ahead of him and its going to be a down year for running backs in Montana next year. Right now, my top rated running back is Jase Stokes from Havre and he is #30 overall which basically means he is a PWO kid. And Stokes is more of a FB/LB type. If Matt puts up good track numbers and adds about 15 more pounds, he will get looks. He's athletic enough.

I don't know the average number but coaches send out invitations to a ton of juniors all over the state. Part of the recruitment process. A junior day is sometimes the first time coaches actually get a good look at a kid.

A waste of time talking over and over and over again about Montana kids.
We have a coach and I want him to get the best kids he can. I don't want many middle of the road kids riding the pine simply to pacify some fans.
Speculation about coach Stitt with little knowledge of the facts is simlar to the republican party mess.
Of course I am a Stitt suporter and until I find valid evidence he is a mean and poor coach I will continue my support.

Umista said:
We have a coach and I want him to get the best kids he can. I don't want many middle of the road kids riding the pine simply to pacify some fans.
Speculation about coach Stitt with little knowledge of the facts is simlar to the republican party mess.
Of course I am a Stitt suporter and until I find valid evidence he is a mean and poor coach I will continue my support.

No, Umista. No one is wasting time talking about MT kids. The waste is listening to your nonsense. You sometimes talk a big game, but you are so out of touch with Griz football. I think you are a fraud.

Umista said:

I checked Dartmouth's football roster. One kid from NH. I guess their coaching staff believes the same as you do, which would make them football idiots in the eyes of some alums.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Umista said:

I checked Dartmouth's football roster. One kid from NH. I guess their coaching staff believes the same as you do, which would make them football idiots in the eyes of some alums.

Dartmouth and the Ivies have always recruited nationally and not relied on local talent. There aren't enough high academic recruits locally or even in the region. The defensive starters on the defense when I played were from 10 or 11 different states. Dartmouth and the Ivies don't give athletic scholarships and don't have out of state tuition, so they don't need to save money by recruiting low tuition kids. Also, Dartmouth's attendance sucks and is not composed of locals. Students, parents, alums and a few locals. Montana's situation is very different.

VimSince03 said:
catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
catsack said:

I don't know the average number but coaches send out invitations to a ton of juniors all over the state. Part of the recruitment process. A junior day is sometimes the first time coaches actually get a good look at a kid.

Well hopefully it was a football team junior day invite and not an acedemic junior day invite...our football program has about 99% more success landing students then our academic programs do currently... :cry: :cry:

VimSince03 said:
5'10", 190 lbs. which is still a good sized back in high school. One of the best RBs to ever come out of the state of Montana and he was still unsure if he could play RB for the Griz. But overall this article does an excellent job of breaking down the four main characteristics that make up great running backs.

http://missoulian.com/college/griz/everyone-s-chasing-montana-s-chase-reynolds/article_a7bd776a-b30b-11df-9e37-001cc4c002e0.html

Eyes, Hands, Legs, ......and Heart

Wow, didnt realize he was that big outta HS.

Apparently Oklahoma and Oklahoma State don't do the whole "Recruit in-state" thing either.

http://newsok.com/article/5389595

OU and OSU apparently don't understand (sarcasm). Look - Oklahoma puts out about 30-40 FBS players per year, yet OU and OSU only recruit a small percentage of those players. Instead of going after those local recruits, they chase after recruits in Texas...

"But why won't OU and OSU recruit those local boys? They're hard working!!"

Well, it's simple actually. The local boys may be hard workers and a few may make the cut, but there are more recruits out of Texas who are bigger and faster than Oklahoma players. To compete at the national level in the FBS, they need to go after those players in Texas because they just don't have the numbers in Oklahoma to match. Similar to Montana, we have to go after those out of state players because the state doesn't put out high numbers of DI-caliber players to allow us to compete at the national level.

get'em_griz said:
Apparently Oklahoma and Oklahoma State don't do the whole "Recruit in-state" thing either.

OU and OSU apparently don't understand (sarcasm). Look - Oklahoma puts out about 30-40 FBS players per year, yet OU and OSU only recruit a small percentage of those players. Instead of going after those local recruits, they chase after recruits in Texas...

Well, it's simple actually. The local boys may be hard workers and a few may make the cut, but there are more recruits out of Texas who are bigger and faster than Oklahoma players. To compete at the national level in the FBS, they need to go after those players in Texas because they just don't have the numbers in Oklahoma to match. Similar to Montana, we have to go after those out of state players because the state doesn't put out high numbers of DI-caliber players to allow us to compete at the national level.

If only we had a Texas in our backyard...haha.

I love what we've been able to accomplish in Cali, Arizona and Washington tho!

Of course you have to go after out-of-state due to Montana's population. This is a fact. The larger percentage of "scholarshipped" players on both in-state school rosters is out-of-state talent by a good margin. That is also a fact. Throughout the years, both in-state schools have also had many preferred walk-on or fall walk-on players (usually Montana kids) earn scholarships over kids who received scholarships on signing day (whether they are from in-state or out-of-state). Recruiting is not an exact science. It is a gamble.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
get'em_griz said:

If only we had a Texas in our backyard...haha.

I love what we've been able to accomplish in Cali, Arizona and Washington tho!

By sheer number ---over 15% of college football players come from Texas. Per capita...Louisiana puts the most kids in uniform at the college level. Interesting article:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida

PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Umista said:

Dartmouth and the Ivies have always recruited nationally and not relied on local talent. There aren't enough high academic recruits locally or even in the region. The defensive starters on the defense when I played were from 10 or 11 different states. Dartmouth and the Ivies don't give athletic scholarships and don't have out of state tuition, so they don't need to save money by recruiting low tuition kids. Also, Dartmouth's attendance sucks and is not composed of locals. Students, parents, alums and a few locals. Montana's situation is very different.

PR:
You know that Growler has been beating the " homegrown talent" drum for some time now. It's an interesting argument. Brint has been going back and forth with Growler on Marion Blood about this topic. Brint has posted analysis showing the breakdown of out of state vs in state starters on the Griz teams during the Power Years Glenn, Hauck etc. His results showed that "out of staters" where always a larger portion of the starters. With those great teams, attendance and community support were always very high. I think that this "need to have more Montana players" issue is somewhat of a red herring. I'd like to see Brint chime in.... His analysis was really interesting.....

Here was the full post taking Growler to task on his "in state vs out of state" talk.

Oh good, broken record growler on his montana recruits posts!

So lets check the facts. "3 times the amount of starters for Hauck from Montana vs out of state". That would mean each team he fielded would have 15 to 16 starters from Montana. Additionally Growler points out these teams made deeper playoff runs - so lets take a quick sample, 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2009.

2004 team:

Offense out of state kids had Ochs, Proctor, Rhoades, Orwig, Marshall, Walden, Heidelberger, Hancock, and Seagers.

Offense in-state kids had, Jay Green and Lex Hilliard

Defense out of state kids had Varona, Horgan, Vella, Edwards, Clark,

Defense in-state kids had Spencer, Murphy, Hoge, MacIntyre, Lebock, THomas

So the 2004 had 14 out of staters and 8 in-staters. One could also point out the offense had 3 other major contributors who were not starters and all out of state kids, Talmadge, Justin Green, and JR Waller.

2006 team

Offense out of state Bradshaw, Swogger, Allen, Chamber, Marshall, Russum, Balogh

Offense in-state Bagley, Beaudin, Michael, Dow

Defense out of state Wilson, Jackson, Tyler Joyce, Dlouhy, Mettler,

Defense in-state Torrey Thomas, Colt Anderson, Biermann, Kyle Ryan, Utterback, Mullan

The 2006 team had 12 out of staters and 10 in-staters

2008 team

Offense out of state Bergquist, Quinn, Horn, Russum,

Offense in-state Reynolds, Mariani, Ferriter, Beaudin, Dow, Hillesland, Schulte

Defense out of state, Fisher, Stadnyk, Swink, Mettler, Stoll, Thompson,

Defense in-state Anderson, Schillenger, Lebsock, Corwin, Jace Palmer

The 2008 team had 10 out of staters and 12 in-staters

2009 team

Offense out of state Sambrano, Burton, Horn,

Offense in-state Selle, Reynolds, Palmer, Mariani, Beaudin, Verlanic, Hillesland, Dyk

Defense out of state Stoll, Shaw, Fisher, Campbell, Tru Johnson, Keith Thompson, Hobbs

Defense in-state Mullins, Lebsock, Schillenger, Waldhauser

The 2009 team had 10 out of staters and 12 in-staters

----------

Never did any of the teams that won playoff games have 3 times the amount of in-state starters vs out of state starters. It was a fairly balanced group actually.

Totaling up the 4 years worth:

Out of state starters: 46 players
In-state starters: 42 players

#Owned

----

That all said, I'm really indifferent on in-state vs out of state. I think we need both to win and I just want the best kids who will represent our program well, graduate from school, and win a crap ton of football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back