• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JLM on UM Football and Hauck

VictorG said:
If Sulser plays as a true freshman and has a great career we will start to hear from the eGriz faithful how Hauck screwed up and didn't red shirt him as a true frosh starting in his junior year.....aka Hilderburger....

No matter what he does as a true freshman!!!!

I would red-shirt him, no matter how good he is. Our WR position is the most talented position on the team, with lots of depth. And, we aren't going to be a serious factor this season anyway. I would rather see him have four more years in the future after Hauck has a chance to surround him with better talent than he has this season. I know that so many of you are stoked about the chances this season, but we just don't have the horses, nor experience throughout the line-up to be a factor on the national stage.

4theluvofgriz said:
VictorG said:
If Sulser plays as a true freshman and has a great career we will start to hear from the eGriz faithful how Hauck screwed up and didn't red shirt him as a true frosh starting in his junior year.....aka Hilderburger....

I would red-shirt him, no matter how good he is. Our WR position is the most talented position on the team, with lots of depth. And, we aren't going to be a serious factor this season anyway. I would rather see him have four more years in the future after Hauck has a chance to surround him with better talent than he has this season. I know that so many of you are stoked about the chances this season, but we just don't have the horses, nor experience throughout the line-up to be a factor on the national stage.

Good players force their hands. Bobby will play the best players and Sulser is already showing he has all the ability to make an impact. You don't redshirt players who can win you games this year. Even watch FBS ball and the list of impact freshman today is huge. I know people are stoked because we have talent at a lot of placed. If the OL can step up...realistically the griz have a chance at 9-2 with this schedule. That's exciting. maybe they won't and we will be .500 but the idea of sitting a player just to sit a player...when he could have a impact. I just see Bobby understanding that he is a talent. Now...if he struggles the first few games he is in. Then he could still redshirt him. That's the benefit of the new rule

mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
VictorG said:

Good players force their hands. Bobby will play the best players and Sulser is already showing he has all the ability to make an impact. You don't redshirt players who can win you games this year. Even watch FBS ball and the list of impact freshman today is huge. I know people are stoked because we have talent at a lot of placed. If the OL can step up...realistically the griz have a chance at 9-2 with this schedule. That's exciting. maybe they won't and we will be .500 but the idea of sitting a player just to sit a player...when he could have a impact. I just see Bobby understanding that he is a talent. Now...if he struggles the first few games he is in. Then he could still redshirt him. That's the benefit of the new rule

If Sulser is good now, how good would he be as a 5th-year senior? There is no way that he could be as good as a true frosh as he would be with 5 years to mature. I just respectfully disagree with you on this issue. I don't think he will struggle if he plays this season. But I know he would be even better as a 5th year senior than he will be as a true frosh. It would be different if we were thin at WR, but we are really deep there, and even without him, there will be 2-3 WRs sitting on the bench who could start for most other Big Sky teams.

4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
VictorG said:

If Sulser is good now, how good would he be as a 5th-year senior? There is no way that he could be as good as a true frosh as he would be with 5 years to mature. I just respectfully disagree with you on this issue. I don't think he will struggle if he plays this season. But I know he would be even better as a 5th year senior than he will be as a true frosh. It would be different if we were thin at WR, but we are really deep there, and even without him, there will be 2-3 WRs sitting on the bench who could start for most other Big Sky teams.

That’s why I love the new red shirt rules, he gets the chance to do both. He can play in four games....show the coaches what he’s capable of and then still red shirt at that point if he’s not contributing. I think WHEN Sulser plays in four games they won’t be able to sit him he’ll be too good

4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
VictorG said:

I think what you are missing is the fact he might not be better a 5th year senior. You don't know what will happen between now and then. Think of it in the form of economics. You are forgoing X amount of contribution this year for the possibility of X amount of contribution 4 years from now. When you have hundreds of variables between now and then. In economics you set a barrier say... a WAR (wins above replacement). maybe the coach says...if he's around 0-.5 then it's not that big of a growth for the team, so we redshirt the player and expect his contributions in the long run to exceed the value he would have this year. Now say maybe the project his WAR around 1. Well then you play the kid. Because you wouldn't be making a rational decision to sit a kid and forgo that much of a positive impact with the HOPE that he will be better or as good 4 years from now. When in reality we don't even know if he will be around 4 years from now. With injuries and concussions and possible grad transfers of 5th year seniors...maybe he won't. So it all comes down to the coaches finding his value to the team this year and making a RATIONAL decision. Lucky for coaches they now can have 4 live games to find that value. Before many coaches red shirted most people because its hard to know the value of a freshman in non live game, full speed situations.

mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:

I think what you are missing is the fact he might not be better a 5th year senior. You don't know what will happen between now and then. Think of it in the form of economics. You are forgoing X amount of contribution this year for the possibility of X amount of contribution 4 years from now. When you have hundreds of variables between now and then. In economics you set a barrier say... a WAR (wins above replacement). maybe the coach says...if he's around 0-.5 then it's not that big of a growth for the team, so we redshirt the player and expect his contributions in the long run to exceed the value he would have this year. Now say maybe the project his WAR around 1. Well then you play the kid. Because you wouldn't be making a rational decision to sit a kid and forgo that much of a positive impact with the HOPE that he will be better or as good 4 years from now. When in reality we don't even know if he will be around 4 years from now. With injuries and concussions and possible grad transfers of 5th year seniors...maybe he won't. So it all comes down to the coaches finding his value to the team this year and making a RATIONAL decision. Lucky for coaches they now can have 4 live games to find that value. Before many coaches red shirted most people because its hard to know the value of a freshman in non live game, full speed situations.

Hind sight is always 20-20. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Every player is one play away from a career ending injury. If Sulser demonstrates he can play now, play him

grizatwork said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Gabe's dad, Mark, was a former Grizzly receiver.

So glad to see the Griz get another consistent dangerous weapon out in space other than JLM.

Sulser isn't the fastest straight line receiver in Montana HS history, but he certainly is the quickest--an utterly amazing/talented, tough, play-maker!

I thought Mark was a defensive back. Glasgow boy if I am not mistaken.

I thought he was a DB too. Yep, Glasgow guy. Played Legion baseball against him. Still talk to him, great dude.

Play him if he is the best player at whatever position he is slated for if he gives team best chance of winning. You gotta go with the present situation, which is a totally untested team and what the program has to do to achieve long term results. Early success this season right out of the gate sends a message to fcs as well as to the players that what they have signed up for will work and this momentum will continue to build on itself and continue the return. That’s the hope anyway. If he is the catalyst to do that play then him early and often. A lot of unknowns over 5 seasons of a physically small guy’s career. He’s 5 foot nothing and was AA high hrdls champ 14.22 (missed state record by .02) which is straight line flat out fast.). He’s a freak athlete he should be played now.

Maybe he falls in love, drops out of school, and follows a cute (and rich) girl to Omaha to work in her dad's meat packing plant. Then you're all wrong.

mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Exactly - Remember that kid in your high school that was as good as a Freshman or Sophomore as he or she ever was? Not saying Sulser will be that guy (in fact, I don't think anything like it), but it happens.

My view is that players who are starter quality or good enough to be in the receiver or running back rotation, or the nickel back or top punter returner, should not redshirt. If they are not at this level of the mix, they should redshirt, except when there is a huge hole to fill.With the new 4 game appearance rule, it will be easier to determine where frosh are in the mix.

Dkgh9zxWsAE_NE5.jpg:large

And if he plays this year and the next three years so not eligible for the 2022 season, it’s quite possible we would have someone to fill the void by then anyway. If he is a difference maker in his four allowed games, keep him playing this year.

Back