• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Just bought a smoker!

One of my favorite sites.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good site here too.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PhxGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PhxGriz said:
signedbewildered said:

Weber Smokey Mountain.

That's what I have. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done. Enjoy it.

Have actually seen a couple TV shows where the "teams" are using the WSM. Got a great deal on one - couldn't pass it up.

It's the best piece of equipment I own. I have a Summit S-670 for the quick stuff and roto, because I often cook "easy" stuff for large groups, but I always come back to the WSM for everything else. I even use it in lieu of a kettle setup for non-smoking stuff. There are several sites/forums specifically dedicated to the WSM. You've probably already found them, but here is my favorite for tips and recipes: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

I mostly do game meat. Summer sausage, jerky, sticks and such. All kinds of friends show up I never knew I had when I'm finishing up a batch of something. Anything and everything is better smoked. Get a cheap pork shoulder from Costco, those are always good.

signedbewildered said:
I mostly do game meat. Summer sausage, jerky, sticks and such. All kinds of friends show up I never knew I had when I'm finishing up a batch of something. Anything and everything is better smoked. Get a cheap pork shoulder from Costco, those are always good.
This...

polsongrizz said:
signedbewildered said:
This...

Ahhh yes the old pork butt. I soak mine in a brine of Dr Pepper or root beer for 2 days, the sugar in the pop helps break down the tissues of the meat and give it a nice sweet flavor after its smoked. Just give it a good rub and on the smoker for 10-12 hrs. Just falls apart when done. Its sooooooo good!

Hammer said:
polsongrizz said:
signedbewildered said:
This...

Ahhh yes the old pork butt. I soak mine in a brine of Dr Pepper or root beer for 2 days, the sugar in the pop helps break down the tissues of the meat and give it a nice sweet flavor after its smoked. Just give it a good rub and on the smoker for 10-12 hrs. Just falls apart when done. Its sooooooo good!

Hrmmmmm.....never tried that. I wonder if a good microbrew would work? (To drink while I'm waiting for Dr Pepper to do his thing) I'll have to try that this winter (smoking season) Down to the last few packages from last winter which I plan to take on a walk about this weekend scouting for Mountain Goats. It's even better at 8000 ft. Now, if they only made freeze dried beer.

what are your guys thoughts on electric smokers? :shock:

my buddy got one a while back and I thought is was blasphemous but i gotta say i've had some damn good dishes out of it. and it seemed effortless. not that smoking the old fashioned way is too much work. but you guys seem very educated on this so seeking advice. i'm looking to do some serious smoking this fall so lead the way! :msugrad:

ilovethecats said:

my buddy got one a while back and I thought is was blasphemous but i gotta say i've had some damn good dishes out of it. and it seemed effortless. not that smoking the old fashioned way is too much work. but you guys seem very educated on this so seeking advice. i'm looking to do some serious smoking this fall so lead the way! :msugrad:

If you do it, don't go cheap. My buddy bought a $200 one from Lowe's and it crapped out in less than a year. It also didn't really deliver the smoke needed for bigger stuff. It could only take chips, not chunks.

Another friend bought a much more expensive Cookshack (like PGM mentioned above) from Cabela's, and it's a pretty sweet unit. Definitely more of a set it and forget it cooker.

Did my first 8lbs pork shoulder this last weekend and had no problems keeping the temp consistent. Used what is called the Minion method, and actually had wood left over.

Got internal temp to 165, wrapped in foil until it hit 195, then pulled it off, wrapped it in a towel and let it sit in an empty cooler for one hour. 9 hours cook time and one hour to sit.

Turned out better than the three BBQ places I have tried out here in Seattle, but will have a better idea on #2.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

If you do it, don't go cheap. My buddy bought a $200 one from Lowe's and it crapped out in less than a year. It also didn't really deliver the smoke needed for bigger stuff. It could only take chips, not chunks.

Another friend bought a much more expensive Cookshack (like PGM mentioned above) from Cabela's, and it's a pretty sweet unit. Definitely more of a set it and forget it cooker.

awesome. that's great to know!

Back