• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kellen Strahm

IntuitiveGriz said:
Kellen is a good looking athlete. But recruiting was light on him going into his SR year, says the Oregonian:

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/1124089506441671421/sheldons-kellen-strahm-a-versatile-weapon-2014-oregon-high-school-football-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Griz coaches know who he is, with having his older brother on the team...

Where are you seeing that he runs a 4.4 40?

Look at his Hudl video under his vitals. Could be wrong, he sure looks quick and fast.

1972 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Kellen is a good looking athlete. But recruiting was light on him going into his SR year, says the Oregonian:

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/1124089506441671421/sheldons-kellen-strahm-a-versatile-weapon-2014-oregon-high-school-football-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Griz coaches know who he is, with having his older brother on the team...

Where are you seeing that he runs a 4.4 40?

Look at his Hudl video under his vitals. Could be wrong, he sure looks quick and fast.

I had seen his Hudl video, and was thinking that was where you got the 4.4 from.

The only problem with Hudl is that those vitals are self-reported.

Looking at the video in this article, he looks like a 4.6 to me. If I'm right, that would explain the lack of D1 offers.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/3040577069151333944/kellen-strahm-of-sheldon-is-the-oregonianoregonlive-football-player-of-the-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He did have a great HS football career.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Looking at the video in this article, he looks like a 4.6 to me. If I'm right, that would explain the lack of D1 offers.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/3040577069151333944/kellen-strahm-of-sheldon-is-the-oregonianoregonlive-football-player-of-the-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to laugh about that all night. Your ability to gauge speed down to two tenths of a second, by only using streaming video, is beyond intuitive. Well done sir.

griz4life said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I'm going to laugh about that all night. You're ability to gauge speed down to two tenths of a second, by only using streaming video, is beyond intuitive. Well done sir.

I was thinking the same thing. lol

1972 said:
griz4life said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I'm going to laugh about that all night. You're ability to gauge speed down to two tenths of a second, by only using streaming video, is beyond intuitive. Well done sir.

griz4life - "Do I amuse you? (Joe Pesci in the movie Goodfellas) :thumb: Actually I'm laughing befcause you are laughing. That's just the way I am. :D

But I stand by my 4.6 estimate (4.57 at best). People who watch a lot of football video, mainly coaches, can absolutely tell the difference between a 4.4 guy and a 4.6 guy. That's how they initially recruit guys, just ask them. As comical as this may sound to you, two tenths of a second in the 40 can be visibly observed with experience. I watch alot of recruiting video, and watch hours of the NFL scouting combines of the 40 yard dash. Even the color commentator of this event would watch the guy sprint, and before his time was shown on the digital readout on the field, he would give his opinion on the time...and he was dead on 9 out of 10 times.

IntuitiveGriz said:
1972 said:
griz4life said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

griz4life - "Do I amuse you? (Joe Pesci in the movie Goodfellas) :thumb: Actually I'm laughing befcause you are laughing. That's just the way I am. :D

But I stand by my 4.6 estimate (4.57 at best). People who watch a lot of football video, mainly coaches, can absolutely tell the difference between a 4.4 guy and a 4.6 guy. That's how they initially recruit guys, just ask them. As comical as this may sound to you, two tenths of a second in the 40 can be visibly observed with experience. I watch alot of recruiting video, and watch hours of the NFL scouting combines of the 40 yard dash. Even the color commentator of this event would watch the guy sprint, and before his time was shown on the digital readout on the field, he would give his opinion on the time...and he was dead on 9 out of 10 times.

I too feel from video you can get a good idea of a player's speed, and be within a tenth of a second. It does take watching a lot of video though. Ideally a few games of a recruit. Another good method is comparing a recruit with another recruit who you know their 40 speed, Usually used to see if DB's and LB's compare to a certain WR or RB in the open field, or does RB/WR pull away/separate from DB's .

I do feel this is more difficult to do when watching tape of smaller school players, because the competition they play against is not as good. It is hard to find how a kid compares to other FCS level recruits, being very few small schools have that caliber of player.

Plus there has to be more to videos than most us would think. The majority of time that is the 1st step in the evaluation process to determine what kind of effort and time to put into recruiting a kid. If that were not the case, schools would be spending all their time attending live games, which would be much too time consuming.

mtgrizrule said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
1972 said:
griz4life said:

I too feel from video you can get a good idea of a player's speed, and be within a tenth of a second. It does take watching a lot of video though. Ideally a few games of a recruit. Another good method is comparing a recruit with another recruit who you know their 40 speed, Usually used to see if DB's and LB's compare to a certain WR or RB in the open field, or does RB/WR pull away/separate from DB's .

I do feel this is more difficult to do when watching tape of smaller school players, because the competition they play against is not as good. It is hard to find how a kid compares to other FCS level recruits, being very few small schools have that caliber of player.

Plus there has to be more to videos than most us would think. The majority of time that is the 1st step in the evaluation process to determine what kind of effort and time to put into recruiting a kid. If that were not the case, schools would be spending all their time attending live games, which would be much too time consuming.

Could one of you guys give us a ruling on:
LB/RB Fotu Leiato II 6'0" 195 (Steilacoom HS) Steilacoom, WA (Oregon)

Based on what I've read here, he appears to be somewhere near light speed to my untrained eyes.

NikeGrizz said:
signed with the Oregon Ducks today to play baseball
Thanks for posting Nike! I was wondering about that kid today. His daddy was an UO man so that's a nice to hear.

Back