• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Key position battles, 2 weeks in

After the scrimmage, Stitt said he was going to narrow the QBs competition down to 2, with those 2 getting most of the reps... with a 3rd getting a little.

AZGrizFan said:
It's really amazing how far Gus's star has risen in just 2-3 weeks.

I like the look of Gustafson back there. He's 6'7", so he see's down-field not only in the line of scrimmage gaps that all QBs see thru, but he also see's over the line of scrimmage (something that shorter QBs can't do as well). He delivers a ball high over the line of scrimmage, that isn't able to be batted down. He's looking like a gunslinger back there. :clap:

IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I like the look of Gustafson back there. He's 6'7", so he see's down-field not only in the line of scrimmage gaps that all QBs see thru, but he also see's over the line of scrimmage (something that shorter QBs can't do as well). He delivers a ball high over the line of scrimmage, that isn't able to be batted down. He's looking like a gunslinger back there. :clap:

Here is to hoping he can improve not locking onto a WR, and scanning the field better. He has the physical make up, no question about that.

mtgrizrule said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Here is to hoping he can improve not locking onto a WR, and scanning the field better. He has the physical make up, no question about that.

Wasn't Roper 6'7" also? And he was a stellar QB for the Griz......

reinell30 said:
mtgrizrule said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

What does Roper have to do with this? Are you comparing just because both them are tall QB's?

Most of us are hoping Stitt can find a qb, or a few that can execute this offense to expectations. It is great that Gustafson has become the leader early. Considering just a few weeks ago, quite a few were thinking he would not compete very well.

mtgrizrule said:
reinell30 said:
mtgrizrule said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

What does Roper have to do with this? Are you comparing just because both them are tall QB's?

Most of us are hoping Stitt can find a qb, or a few that can execute this offense to expectations. It is great that Gustafson has become the leader early. Considering just a few weeks ago, quite a few were thinking he would not compete very well.

Yes, comparing height. It has been a long time since the Griz have had a tall successful QB. In fact I don't remember a Griz successful QB over 6'4"... I am just saying, we haven't had the best of luck with tall QB's.

SeattleBobcat said:
so what's everyone's take on the transfer QB's, seems like you guys have around 10 QB's on the roster, with Gus leading the pack ATM. Will the Transfer QB's sit around and be back-ups if they don't win the starting QB spot? Although if they didn't it doesn't seem like the end of the world if they don't, The griz snagged a few good frosh Qb's from the look of it.

Gustafson: Junior
Chalich: Junior
Simis: Sophomore
Trent: Sophomore
Weyer: RS-Freshman
Prater: RS-Freshman
Pflug: Freshman

Chalich, Prater, and Trent are the transfers. Prater has time, Trent is at the bottom of pack and Chalich is the mix to start. If anyone would pack it up I'd guess it's Trent... but who knows - that's a guess. Chalich still has a shot to start, but need to cover ground this summer. Prater is a RS-Freshman and presumably knows he'll have another opportunity in the next few years to tie up the spot as well.

BWahlberg said:
SeattleBobcat said:
so what's everyone's take on the transfer QB's, seems like you guys have around 10 QB's on the roster, with Gus leading the pack ATM. Will the Transfer QB's sit around and be back-ups if they don't win the starting QB spot? Although if they didn't it doesn't seem like the end of the world if they don't, The griz snagged a few good frosh Qb's from the look of it.

Chalich, Prater, and Trent are the transfers. Prater has time, Trent is at the bottom of pack and Chalich is the mix to start. If anyone would pack it up I'd guess it's Trent... but who knows - that's a guess. Chalich still has a shot to start, but need to cover ground this summer. Prater is a RS-Freshman and presumably knows he'll have another opportunity in the next few years to tie up the spot as well.

Good info, Thanks BW. I could have swore I just recently saw an article somewhere that said you guys got another transfer in the recent weeks.

SeattleBobcat said:
BWahlberg said:
SeattleBobcat said:

Good info, Thanks BW. I could have swore I just recently saw an article somewhere that said you guys got another transfer in the recent weeks.

You're probably thinking of Tyler Lucas, a transfer QB/WR from a JUCO who also was with Penn State.

Reading AJ's write ups, looks like Nate Bradley is doing good things & Wilson seems to be adapting. How does the eye test look for those of you closeup?

Back