• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kyle Sample moving on

grizzlyjournal

So... Kyle Sample changed his Twitter Bio to a brief: "Guy who was a journalist" sometime this afternoon, following it up with a slightly longer tweet indicating that he will "no longer be working for the Missoulian."

Certainly wish the best for Kyle. I considered him an excellent sports reporter and writer and was looking forward to more of his outstanding coverage of men's hoops at UM.

That's the first of some odd basketball-related news today. Other items:

2. Katie Baker's position with the Montana women's basketball program was brief. Word is she accepted a job as a coaching assistant at Oregon State and will be replaced at Montana by another former Lady Griz, Jordan Sullivan.

3. And Ken Bone is reportedly headed to Spokane, where he'll serve as a volunteer assistant coach at Gonzaga.

4. Won't comment on UM student attendance, now almost 6 thousand registered students less than Montana State. (Yikes!!!)

No-o-o-o-o-o-o- Say it ain't so.

Kyle was the best basketball reporter in memory at the Missoulian.

I wondered if something was up when it so long to report on Eric Hays.

Kyle, we wish you well and certainly will miss your professionalism.

You are losing good one in Kyle. Same thing here in Bozeman. We lose our good Sports writers it seems every few months. Glad to see Colter with Skyline Sports. He is doing a great job with that. The Bozeman Comical has to be close to folding. It is a liberal rag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle was a very good writer, and readers could see that he was passionate about the sports he covered. His outreach to fans, such as here on egriz, was very welcome.

UMGriz75 said:
Kyle was a very good writer, and readers could see that he was passionate about the sports he covered. His outreach to fans, such as here on egriz, was very welcome.

I, for one, will miss his sharing of Griz info on eGriz.

Damn... That sucks. Now his twitter is gone completely. We as fans and the Missoulian were all better off for your efforts. Hopefully you land on your feet wherever you end up.

grizzlyjournal said:
4. Won't comment on UM student attendance, now almost 6 thousand registered students less than Montana State. (Yikes!!!)

never mind the rest of your comments, but;Huh?? Which school did you take math at? I see enrollment as 15,688 at MSU and 12,419 at UM for initial 2016 reports.

http://news.umt.edu/2016/09/092316enrl.aspx

http://www.montana.edu/news/15760/msu-sets-new-enrollment-record-with-15-688-students

Zirg said:
grizzlyjournal said:

never mind the rest of your comments, but;Huh?? Which school did you take math at? I see enrollment as 15,688 at MSU and 12,419 at UM for initial 2016 reports.

http://www.montana.edu/news/15760/msu-sets-new-enrollment-record-with-15-688-students

I'm relieved my info regarding UM was wrong, Zirg. My sources were people with knowledge of student registration numbers and, in early summer, there was some worry about lower numbers than the 12,419 final tally... still 6% below fall semester from a year ago.

Zirg said:
grizzlyjournal said:

What are UM's numbers, excluding Missoula College (and the high school kids that get dual credits there)?

What at the comparisons of the sizes of the freshman classes at the main school of each? I see that MSU's frosh class was over 3,000. Looks like UM avoiding putting out some detail in its press release.

From the Kaimin on Sept. 30, but the Kaimin chart shows the 4,000 or so difference. Look at the frosh numbers.

"This year, MSU has 1,635 in-state freshmen, almost double what UM has. While it’s important to consider that MSU has around 6,000 more students than UM, and therefore should have more freshmen, UM’s numbers have dropped significantly.

Since 2010, UM’s resident freshman enrollment has dropped nearly 40 percent, while MSU’s has remained stable."

http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/why-montana-students-flock-to-msu-while-um-s-enrollment/article_2aa74de6-8663-11e6-b157-6bcf591c82e0.html

PlayerRep said:
From the Kaimin on Sept. 30, but the Kaimin chart shows the 4,000 or so difference. Look at the frosh numbers.

"This year, MSU has 1,635 in-state freshmen, almost double what UM has. While it’s important to consider that MSU has around 6,000 more students than UM, and therefore should have more freshmen, UM’s numbers have dropped significantly.

Since 2010, UM’s resident freshman enrollment has dropped nearly 40 percent, while MSU’s has remained stable."

http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/why-montana-students-flock-to-msu-while-um-s-enrollment/article_2aa74de6-8663-11e6-b157-6bcf591c82e0.html
Engstrom I think finally realizes he's screwed the pooch. He's spent six years dilly-dallying in amateur-land, blaming in-house recruiting, then out-house recruiting, then finally in-house recruiting again (didn't process applications efficiently). The advertisements are horrible. He's doing virtually nothing personally, relying instead on "recruiters," and can't seem to "get it." He is the worst thing to ever happen to the University of Montana. BOR wants to give him his second bonus.

The frosh numbers are the key. In three years, UM will be at about 8,000 students and MSU will be at about 20,000.

Engstrom will be retired and about a million dollars richer.

UMGriz75 said:
PlayerRep said:

Engstrom I think finally realizes he's screwed the pooch. He's spent six years dilly-dallying in amateur-land, blaming in-house recruiting, then out-house recruiting, then finally in-house recruiting again (didn't process applications efficiently). The advertisements are horrible. He's doing virtually nothing personally, relying instead on "recruiters," and can't seem to "get it." He is the worst thing to ever happen to the University of Montana. BOR wants to give him his second bonus.

The frosh numbers are the key. In three years, UM will be at about 8,000 students and MSU will be at about 20,000.

"The Frosh numbers are the key." Sadly, correct. I had a recent personal discussion of confirmation from a young relative. My grand-niece is a senior in a Montana H.S., an outstanding and well-rounded student who will be her school's valedictorian and is currently being recruited by schools in the region. I asked her if she'd been in contact with UM and MSU and she responded that MSU reps (from several departments) have emailed, texted or called her on an "almost daily" basis since last spring. "What about UM," I asked. She shrugged (knowing I'm a loyal grad) and said, "I think the last time I got something from them was last June."

grizzlyjournal said:
UMGriz75 said:
PlayerRep said:

"The Frosh numbers are the key." Sadly, correct. I had a recent personal discussion of confirmation from a young relative. My grand-niece is a senior in a Montana H.S., an outstanding and well-rounded student who will be her school's valedictorian and is currently being recruited by universities in several western states. I asked her if she'd been in contact with UM and MSU and she responded that MSU reps (from several departments) have emailed, texted or called her on an "almost daily" basis since last spring. "What about UM," I asked. She shrugged (knowing I'm a loyal grad) and said, "I think the last time I got something from them was last June."

grizzlyjournal said:
UMGriz75 said:
PlayerRep said:

"The Frosh numbers are the key." Sadly, correct. I had a recent personal discussion of confirmation from a young relative. My grand-niece is a senior in a Montana H.S., an outstanding and well-rounded student who will be her school's valedictorian and is currently being recruited by schools in the region. I asked her if she'd been in contact with UM and MSU and she responded that MSU reps (from several departments) have emailed, texted or called her on an "almost daily" basis since last spring. "What about UM," I asked. She shrugged (knowing I'm a loyal grad) and said, "I think the last time I got something from them was last June."
That was almost identically the case with my daughter ... 18 years ago! UM seemed to have no interest in this outstanding young woman, yet more than 20 other schools offered her scholarships.

Latest posts

Back