• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Late Game Strategy

citygriz

A hallmark of great coaches is late-game strategy. Dean Smith at North Carolina was a master at this. With the game on the line, coaches earn their reputations. By stretching out the time. By having players well-schooled and poised down the stretch, not frazzled or harried. Those last seconds can decide many a game.

Unfortunately, while I did not see the game, I do not believe our late-game strategy was very good yesterday. My understanding: With 51 seconds to go, South Dakota scored to go up by three. My strategy: Call a time out. Try to get off a good shot in about ten seconds. If we make it, we're tied, and we have the last possession. If we miss, perhaps we go the foul route.

Instead, we waited until 31 seconds were left, then called a time out--apparently just as Walter Wright was making a layup and drawing a foul. Am I correct? If so this was terrible game management down the stretch. It's an area we definitely need to improve on.

citay said:
A hallmark of great coaches is late-game strategy. Dean Smith at North Carolina was a master at this. With the game on the line, coaches earn their reputations. By stretching out the time. By having players well-schooled and poised down the stretch, not frazzled or harried. Those last seconds can decide many a game.

Unfortunately, while I did not see the game, I do not believe our late-game strategy was very good yesterday. My understanding: With 51 seconds to go, South Dakota scored to go up by three. My strategy: Call a time out. Try to get off a good shot in about ten seconds. If we make it, we're tied, and we have the last possession. If we miss, perhaps we go the foul route.

Instead, we waited until 31 seconds were left, then called a time out--apparently just as Walter Wright was making a layup and drawing a foul. Am I correct? If so this was terrible game management down the stretch. It's an area we definitely need to improve on.

I couldn't see an "on-demand" link to view the last 2 minutes and couldn't find one. Going by memory, so am willing to be corrected on my take:

The Griz had a plan. I believe there was a time out by the Griz at 41 seconds, down 67-69 to SD. The camera trained on the Griz huddle & TD was pretty emphatic, clipboard in hand, pointing to several parts of the floor. At 33 seconds, Michael Oguine was called for his fifth foul (Wright subbed in for Oguine) The SD free throw shooter missed the second shot & the Griz (now down by 3) headed up court. From there, The the Griz quickly went into a rotation designed to collapse the D for a kick-out to a 3-pt shooter. The Coyotes covered the perimeter players (both Jack and Ahmaad had the ball, but no clear shot from 3), so with 12 seconds left, Walter quickly drove the lane for the layup, which is when TD called time to set up a final shot (amazingly quick reaction by TD) after which Gfeller subbed back in.

The play worked perfectly on the inbounds and the pass went to an open Brandon Gfeller, who set up well and took a good shot. It rimmed out.

My take was that -- not only were the last two possessions well strategized in the huddle -- but also the Griz ran plays correctly. But there's more: Grizcoaches did an excellent job of establishing several plays to give the Griz good shots in the final SIX minutes. They made five field goals (one trey) and two free throws. South Dakota, during that the, made ONE field goal and EIGHT free throws. Only the last Griz foul was "intentional."

One of those plays was THE crucial play where Sayeed Pridgett got the ball (Griz down by two) on a great pass while in the paint on the baseline, but was backed out of bounds by a defender... an obvious foul to me. The ref call made it a turnover instead.

I know this much: The Griz were aggressive and played the floor well. Brandon's reaction on the last miss was of obvious disappointment/frustration. I felt badly for him.

The real story? The Griz made 32 field goals to SD's 27. Accounting for treys from both teams, that's a 12 point spread in which the Griz fell 5 points shy of a tie.

So, with all due respect, citay, I believe the game was managed well by Griz coaches during the final minutes of play.

grizzlyjournal said:
citay said:

I couldn't see an "on-demand" link to view the last 2 minutes and couldn't find one. Going by memory, so am willing to be corrected on my take:

The Griz had a plan. I believe there was a time out by the Griz at 41 seconds, down 67-69 to SD. The camera trained on the Griz huddle & TD was pretty emphatic, clipboard in hand, pointing to several parts of the floor. At 33 seconds, Michael Oguine was called for his fifth foul (Wright subbed in for Oguine) The SD free throw shooter missed the second shot & the Griz (now down by 3) headed up court. From there, The the Griz quickly went into a rotation designed to collapse the D for a kick-out to a 3-pt shooter. The Coyotes covered the perimeter players (both Jack and Ahmaad had the ball, but no clear shot from 3), so with 12 seconds left, Walter quickly drove the lane for the layup, which is when TD called time to set up a final shot (amazingly quick reaction by TD) after which Gfeller subbed back in.

The play worked perfectly on the inbounds and the pass went to an open Brandon Gfeller, who set up well and took a good shot. It rimmed out.

My take was that -- not only were the last two possessions well strategized in the huddle -- but also the Griz ran plays correctly. But there's more: Grizcoaches did an excellent job of establishing several plays to give the Griz good shots in the final SIX minutes. They made five field goals (one trey) and two free throws. South Dakota, during that the, made ONE field goal and EIGHT free throws. Only the last Griz foul was "intentional."

One of those plays was THE crucial play where Sayeed Pridgett got the ball (Griz down by two) on a great pass while in the paint on the baseline, but was backed out of bounds by a defender... an obvious foul to me. The ref call made it a turnover instead.

I know this much: The Griz were aggressive and played the floor well. Brandon's reaction on the last miss was of obvious disappointment/frustration. I felt badly for him.

The real story? The Griz made 32 field goals to SD's 27. Accounting for treys from both teams, that's a 12 point spread in which the Griz fell 5 points shy of a tie.

So, with all due respect, citay, I believe the game was managed well by Griz coaches during the final minutes of play.

I trust your judgment, Journal. As I say, I did not see the game. My patchwork quilt synopsis was in error. I'll work on my own late-game preparation.

Being the GRIZ do not have a true offensive post presence, in terms of size, I feel the GRIZ should spread things out more in the closing seconds. I questioned the personnel during the Wyoming game (feel free to read that game thread).

To me, Krslovic's inconsistent offense and ft shooting is not enough to justify him being on the court for clutch offensive possessions. The GRIZ are absolutely loaded with quality penetrators, shooters, and versatile offensive players. I honestly would like to see the GRIZ go with any combination of Oguine (not available for the Wyoming game), Wright, Rorie, Dunn, Gfeller, Moorehead, Lopez, and Pridgett. That lineup gives the GRIZ 5 very solid shooters, which a defense has to account for every player. It gives them penetrators to create, and long range bombers. Many teams would have 1 or 2 bigs for defense to clog the lanes. Any of those players force paint defenders out. That would have made a huge difference in the final possession against Wyoming. They likely would have found a cleaner look to close out that game.

No knock on Krslovic, but his skill set is not one for close game offensive possessions. He is much needed for defensive and rebounding situations. I also believe Lopez is almost as capable of rebounder, and his offense is much better than Krslovic's. Lopez or Pridgett can create from the post, and are better passers as well.

To me, this should be a pretty easy decision, and hope DeCuire does not hesitate to give this a try.

This is reason #3294 why the basketball forum is so much better than the football forum.

Three different people have three different perspectives on late-game strategy by the Griz. All three posters express their viewpoints clearly and respectfully. Nobody demeans or insults those who offer different or contrasting viewpoints.

Reason #3295: Nobody suggests that, with a record of 1-6, Coach Decuire should be fired. People understand that the basketball program is a work in progress. They are able to put the current won-loss record in perspective, and view it in context, rather than simplistically (i.e., black and white). They can look ahead a year and see how the recruits will fill out the roster and address current needs. They’re patient enough to give the coach the time he needs to fully implement his system and bring in the players he needs for the team to be successful.

Oh, and Bobcats suck.

AllWeatherFan said:
This is reason #3294 why the basketball forum is so much better than the football forum.

Three different people have three different perspectives on late-game strategy by the Griz. All three posters express their viewpoints clearly and respectfully. Nobody demeans or insults those who offer different or contrasting viewpoints.

Reason #3295: Nobody suggests that, with a record of 1-6, Coach Decuire should be fired. People understand that the basketball program is a work in progress. They are able to put the current won-loss record in perspective, and view it in context, rather than simplistically (i.e., black and white). They can look ahead a year and see how the recruits will fill out the roster and address current needs. They’re patient enough to give the coach the time he needs to fully implement his system and bring in the players he needs for the team to be successful.

Oh, and Bobcats suck.

With that said, AWF, are you going to be visiting here more often? :thumb:

Completely agree with you though.

:clap: :clap: :thumb:
AllWeatherFan said:

Oh, and Bobcats suck.

I dunno. I'm not above calling AllWeather a dyspeptic old rodeo clown or being razzed by argh! or AllWeather in return. I'm certainly not above criticizing a coach that is not doing the job.

But we have the great luxury on this board of having a coach that we know is the right coach for this program, whose recruiting, pedigree and smarts are top notch, and is taking on challenges that are almost historic for any Montana sports program.

As for the one and six record. We outscored USC from the floor, 54-48, but got hammered by the refs. We won the first half against NC State, the second halves against Ole Miss, Wyoming and South Dakota, and both halves against Oral Roberts. The only true disappointment was a game we thought we could win, Washington State, where we lost both halves.

So be it. We did all this with Oguine pretty much on the sidelines the entire time, and the heralded Alphonso Anderson and the rest of the cavalry a year away.

Wait'll next year. Then we can start bitching!

AllWeatherFan said:

Oh, and Bobcats suck.

He needs to be fired....there I said it!

Although that is in jest, I do feel he is not making much progress with his players in place. His style of play may not be what we really need in the Big Sky. Hopefully with some bigs coming in starting next year things will turn around.

The good news is with the tough schedule we will be well prepared for the Big Sky schedule.

Good thread.

I really credit SD's defense for UM's inability to get a quick shot up with about :30 to play. I think the plan was to do exactly as you suggested, citay: either tie the game or begin the foul parade with more time on the clock. Just couldn't find a way to get that done without a forced shot.

But in any event, this game was decided by one thing and one thing only: a ridiculous disparity in foul shots.

AllWeatherFan said:

Oh, and Bobcats suck.

While I agree with your post, I think it is different on the football board. In the FCS the football team is relevant nationally and can win a NC. No such comparison can be made and Montana fans understand that. We understand that in basketball Montana can go toe to toe with SEC schools, Pac-12 schools...maybe not win but be respectable. If the football team moved up it would be the same thing. No more national relevance or NC possibilities. It is fun to look at the talent that is coming into Montana basketball....I just hope TD sticks around long enough to build something special that will win these games in the year to come! Exciting times

AllWeatherFan said:
Reason #3295: Nobody suggests that, with a record of 1-6, Coach Decuire should be fired. People understand that the basketball program is a work in progress.
People don't have to listen to Coach DeCuire's ego constantly get in the way. He impresses all as honest, straightforward and when he promises innovation, he delivers. He has a clear path to improving Griz basketball by using the approach, "true gold does not fear the refiner's fire." He tests the team by taking on distinctive challenges, not trying to find cupcakes to run up the stats.

I'm more worried about the team having better starts, might eliminate some of the late game decisions.
Also what % are teams shooting the three against the Griz??

UMGriz75 said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Reason #3295: Nobody suggests that, with a record of 1-6, Coach Decuire should be fired. People understand that the basketball program is a work in progress.
People don't have to listen to Coach DeCuire's ego constantly get in the way. He impresses all as honest, straightforward and when he promises innovation, he delivers. He has a clear path to improving Griz basketball by using the approach, "true gold does not fear the refiner's fire." He tests the team by taking on distinctive challenges, not trying to find cupcakes to run up the stats.
Do you actually believe Stitt scheduled St. Francis and MVSU or do you just make shit up in your incessant efforts to denigrate the man?

I'm by no means a psychology expert but your obsession with Stitt is frightening..... "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" level frightening. The number for the Montana Employee Assistance Program 24-hour Crisis line is (866) 750-0512. They offer free mental health counseling (up to 4 visits per issue). I think it could help you, which in turn is a win for all of us....your loving and caring egriz family.

Mavman said:
I'm more worried about the team having better starts, might eliminate some of the late game decisions.
Also what % are teams shooting the three against the Griz??

I don't know if it's possible to get a stream of Tuesday's (Nov. 29) Grizzly Den broadcast, but it further demonstrates Travis DeCuire's coaching vision. His evaluation of his own team was frank, but positive: starting with criticism of himself (using specific examples) he described the team's "softness" in several areas (three-point defense being one area) in each game over the past two weeks, the players' mental & emotional tides, and the process of "team building" while waging intra-team competition for playing minutes. It was a very revealing 45 minute interview and gave a good view of the team that DeCuire is building, with the help of his assistants. He offered no excuses. This team knows what it needs to do to get better. How soon they do it is a question yet to be answered.

grizfnz said:
Do you actually believe Stitt scheduled St. Francis and MVSU or do you just make shit up in your incessant efforts to denigrate the man?
I didn't bring the subject up and I didn't mention Stitt. Interesting you associated "ego" with "Stitt," though. I do admire Travis' scheduling of tough opponents. If you want to give it a GD rest, then give it one and shut the h*** up.

UMGriz75 said:
grizfnz said:
I didn't bring the subject up and I didn't mention Stitt. Interesting you associated "ego" with "Stitt," though. I do admire Travis' scheduling of tough opponents. If you want to give it a GD rest, then give it one and shut the h*** up.
I actually associated Stitt with the padded stats comment and you with "ego". Please make that call to the Crisis line before your hostile and obsessive behavior gets the best of you.

grizfnz said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizfnz said:
I actually associated Stitt with the padded stats comment and you with "ego". Please make that call to the Crisis line before your hostile and obsessive behavior gets the best of you.
Can you take it back to the football board? When some idiots have to come over here and raise the issue, gee why aren't you guys complaining about DeCuire the way people do about Stitt, and then are offended when they actually get an answer, it's symptomatic of the crybaby fan base that exists at this school for football.

DeCuire brought Pac12 experience, a refreshing lack of self-promoting rhetoric, a no-nonsense ability to communicate, both experience and talent, and a willingness to have developed his skills as an assistant under a well-regarded, successful high level coach rather than demanding to be the head coach for most of his career at a small school somewhere where his main claim to fame was a 9 out of 15 loss record to Chadron State.

Basketball fans respect DeCuire for everything he brings to this program, including his willingness to test the team by fire against strong opponents early on, understanding the likelihood of losses, as part of a strengthening process and evidencing a clear strategy to do so.

And if you don't "get it," too bad for you. The fact that you feel the need to troll here about it already demonstrates "you don't." Go back to the football whiners who claim that a 3-5 conference record is a sure harbinger of success and tell them all about your "Crisis hot line."

UMGriz75 said:
grizfnz said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizfnz said:
Can you take it back to the football board? When some idiots have to come over here and raise the issue, gee why aren't you guys complaining about DeCuire the way people do about Stitt, and then are offended when they actually get an answer, it's symptomatic of the crybaby fan base that exists at this school for football.

DeCuire brought Pac12 experience, a refreshing lack of self-promoting rhetoric, a no-nonsense ability to communicate, both experience and talent, and a willingness to have developed his skills as an assistant under a well-regarded, successful high level coach rather than demanding to be the head coach for most of his career at a small school somewhere where his main claim to fame was a 9 out of 15 loss record to Chadron State.

Basketball fans respect DeCuire for everything he brings to this program, including his willingness to test the team by fire against strong opponents early on, understanding the likelihood of losses, as part of a strengthening process and evidencing a clear strategy to do so.

And if you don't "get it," too bad for you. The fact that you feel the need to troll here about it already demonstrates "you don't." Go back to the football whiners who claim that a 3-5 conference record is a sure harbinger of success and tell them all about your "Crisis hot line."

Hope all TD's greatness gets us a conference title in the next couple years. I agree with most of 75's comments about TD. Can't believe I'm saying that!. My only comment about late game strategy is that Griz have seemed to lose more close ones late the past couple years than they did under Tinkle. Tinkle had some of the best "warriors" in school history though (Kareem, Will, Gregory). Along with talent those guys seemed to shine when the game was on the line. Seems we're missing "that guy" the past two years.

Back