• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lion Heart

grizeyes said:
The Nguyen boys are great football players. Griz football is, and was, better for having them on the team. John is the#10 all time griz running back - I think Peter is right there someplace as well. And yet, sone people trash them endlessly. I don't get it.

GO GRIZ!

That's it right there, well said.

kemajic said:
argh! said:
and then there's his punt returns - louie-mcgee has needlessly fair-caught several punts, whereas when given the opportunity, nguyen hasn't, and given the griz better field position than they would have had if he used the fair-catch option, despite decent punt coverage by the other team (see the last three games).
Huh? It is always preferable to fair catch a punt than to let it hit the ground where in can roll another 25 yards, which Nguyen does frequently. JLM is fearless in this capacity and has saved us many yards on punts. Your blinders are really showing.

JLM wasn't even in Flagstaff.

The ball flutters in the air, knuckling around in front of a big, blue sky. A crowd of 26,000 plus gazes on, nervous looks pasted upon each face. John Nguyen stands alone, the hopes of everyone in the stands weighing on his 5-foot-7 shoulders.

John Nguyen is in his junior year with the Montana Grizzlies, serving as the starting running back. He joined the Grizzlies after an unbelievable career with Bellevue High School, leading his team to a state championship and a 40-game win streak.

At Montana, he made an immediate impact, playing in 11 games as a true freshman. The name Nguyen on the back of a maroon jersey wasn’t a strange sight for Montana fans.

Peter Nguyen graduated from UM the year before John arrived on campus. Peter will go down as one of the best running backs in Griz lore, finishing his career with 1,985 yards, the seventh highest total in school history.
http://www.montanakaimin.com/sports/in-it-to-nguyen-it-john-creates-own-legacy-at/article_5673ad54-6dcb-11e5-b45c-abe1e0434921.html

College is meant to last four years, but John Nguyen's relationship with the University of Montana is going on its eighth.

As a freshman he sat next to his mother, Hoa, in the football parents' section near the north end zone at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. It just wasn't his freshman year of college.

John was a pint-sized first-year student at Bellevue High School in Seattle's eastern suburb and he and his family drove the nearly 500 miles over inland desert and mountain ranges to Missoula for a handful of fall Saturdays. He wore maroon, the same shade as the jersey that would one day carry his name.

It was 2009 and a different Nguyen-stitched jersey was scampering around the stadium. John's older brother Peter was also a freshman, this time at UM, and a member of the Grizzly football team.
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/griz-rb-john-nguyen-writes-his-own-chapter-at-montana/article_51a25363-ab3d-5e5e-b11e-7e92c6488e07.html

havgrizfan said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:
and then there's his punt returns - louie-mcgee has needlessly fair-caught several punts, whereas when given the opportunity, nguyen hasn't, and given the griz better field position than they would have had if he used the fair-catch option, despite decent punt coverage by the other team (see the last three games).
Huh? It is always preferable to fair catch a punt than to let it hit the ground where in can roll another 25 yards, which Nguyen does frequently. JLM is fearless in this capacity and has saved us many yards on punts. Your blinders are really showing.

JLM wasn't even in Flagstaff.
Someone said he was? It would have been a very different game had he been there healthy.

reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:
The Nguyen boys are great football players. Griz football is, and was, better for having them on the team. John is the#10 all time griz running back - I think Peter is right there someplace as well. And yet, sone people trash them endlessly. I don't get it.

GO GRIZ!

"Great" is a very big word! Very good is better fit. Hell, if I got 29 or more carries a game I would have been higher in the standings too! Although not true for running backs at MVST...ha ha.
Chase Reynolds, Lex Hilliard and Yohance Humprey were GREAT running backs. They could carry the team and DCs had to plan to contain them as a top priority. The Nguyen brothers are/were valuable players, but don't embarrass them by comparing them to the trio above. Not in the same category.

Pointing out limitations to Nguyen's skills (which are obvious to anyone unbiased and with some football knowledge) is "trashing?" That's a Democrat's play to demonize those expressing opinions not their own. Total hyperbole.

kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:

GO GRIZ!

"Great" is a very big word! Very good is better fit. Hell, if I got 29 or more carries a game I would have been higher in the standings too! Although not true for running backs at MVST...ha ha.
Chase Reynolds, Lex Hilliard and Yohance Humprey were GREAT running backs. They could carry the team and DCs had to plan to contain them as a top priority. The Nguyen brothers are/were valuable players, but don't embarrass them by comparing them to the trio above. Not in the same category.

Pointing out limitations to Nguyen's skills (which are obvious to anyone unbiased and with some football knowledge) is "trashing?" That's a Democrat's play to demonize those expressing opinions not their own. Total hyperbole.
Agreed Kem. I sincerely hope #20 has 200 yards rushing and 4 td's. I hope he can clear my memories of his elder bro coughing it up in the red zone at a critical moment at the tampon. Let F.B. go and spew his lib*ard views on some political website where there is no interest... :egriz:

Calhoun took a forearm to the back of the head early in the game and asked to come out. I think they were checking him out for another concussion if I had to guess.

kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:

GO GRIZ!

Who ever compared the Nguyen brothers to Chase, Lex and Yo? I don't recall seeing that. Can you back up your statement?

You need to stick to commenting on line play, particular how it was played in the 60's when you played (or sat on the bench), because you don't have much of clue about the rest of the game.

You are embarrassing yourself, and are an embarrassment to Griz football, in my view. I thought your incessant posts on moving up were stupid but your are surpassing your stupidity now, again in my view.

rimrockgriz said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:

GO GRIZ!

Agreed Kem. I sincerely hope #20 has 200 yards rushing and 4 td's. I hope he can clear my memories of his elder bro coughing it up in the red zone at a critical moment at the tampon. Let F.B. go and spew his lib*ard views on some political website where there is no interest... :egriz:

John N. has zero lost fumbles in 3 years. You are an idiot. Get out of here with your BS.

PlayerRep said:
rimrockgriz said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:

John N. has zero lost fumbles in 3 years. You are an idiot. Get out of here with your BS.
He was clear in pointing to Peter; you have exhibited some reading problems lately.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
rimrockgriz said:
kemajic said:

He was clear in pointing to Peter; you have exhibited some reading problems lately.

This is what you said, Kem. "The Nguyen brothers are/were valuable players, but don't embarrass them by comparing them to the trio above. Not in the same category." Note the Nguyen brothers--not John. Not only can't you read, you can't remember. Looks like dementia is upon you.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:

No, it is not always better to fair catch a punt than let it drop. When a punt is coming down close to the goal line, in college, you let it drop and hope it goes in the end zone. Also, if a fair catch would be a tougher running catch, then it's often better to let it drop and not fun the risk of a fumble.

Thanks, Coach PR, for enlightening us on your infinite wisdom in coaching the game of football. With your permission, I will include the above passage in my new book "Coaching Special Teams for Dummies".

yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:

No, it is not always better to fair catch a punt than let it drop. When a punt is coming down close to the goal line, in college, you let it drop and hope it goes in the end zone. Also, if a fair catch would be a tougher running catch, then it's often better to let it drop and not fun the risk of a fumble.

Thanks, Coach PR, for enlightening us on your infinite wisdom in coaching the game of football. With your permission, I will include the above passage in my new book "Coaching Special Teams for Dummies".

Do you tell your junior high returners to fair catch ever ball rather than let it drop, say near the goal line or if you can't get to the ball to be assured of making the catch?

PlayerRep said:
yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

Do you tell your junior high returners to fair catch ever ball rather than let it drop, say near the goal line or if you can't get to the ball to be assured of making the catch?

I will now!!! Thank you soooo much for your infinite wisdom! I can really tell that you played the game.

rimrockgriz said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:

GO GRIZ!

You wingbats are all the same ... and, strangely -- or maybe predictably -- you all hate each other. I was responding to a spew, spewer, not spewing one myself.

the fumbles i most remember from the last ten years or so were by chase reynolds and gerald kemp, against the bobs, probably costing the griz the game. as for a nguyen fumble that was actually memorable? hmmm.... peter dropped a punt after the defense forced a three-and-out on the first drive against tennessee. it was a momentum killer and probably cost the game, because you know, the griz should've won that one....

John is a great kid. He should not be back returning punts. Period! Slow is only one part, the lack of ability to catch the damn ball and let it roll 10 15 yards is a serious issue. But it is what it is. He will get replaced by JLM so forget it. Meantime back in the backfield...

Okay, I looked at all 5 punts by the regular punter--not the quick kick by the qb. Kem and Umista, I am having trouble figuring out which one he should have fielded, and then it rolled 25 (Kem) or 15 yards (Umista). Help me out.

55 yards for touchback, net 35. Something wrong with a touchback, and net 35?

28 yard shank out of bounds.

36, Nguyen returns 3.

39 to the 4, downed. This is the one that hit a bit inside the 4 (I think) and stopped. Nguyen was 10 or 15 yards to the right and slightly up field faking like he was going to catch it. Seems like a decent play, and normally the ball would have gone in end zone for a touchback. Do you think Nguyen should have fielded it on the 2, or 3, or 4?

53 to the 11, downed. 7 seconds left in game. Is this the one that bugged you. I don't recall the punt, as I wasn't paying much attention with only seconds left in the game.

Back