• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Macey Huard transferring

It's nice that 4 former LG are still advancing with their teams in the D1 and D2 tourneys. Keller was big in the latest Carroll win, as Pickens had early foul trouble. Keller described as the best player on the court. Carroll now in round of 8.
I agree!

It's nice that 4 former LG are still advancing with their teams in the D1 and D2 tourneys. Keller was big in the latest Carroll win, as Pickens had early foul trouble. Keller described as the best player on the court. Carroll now in round of 8.
Carroll is in the NAIA tourney, not Division 2.

Huard is very promising (maybe Holsinger’s most talented HS recruit), but no NCAA tournament caliber team is throwing money at a player who averaged 7.4 PPG on 38.9% shooting on a third place Big Sky team.

I could see her wanting to move on and play at a bigger school, and there are probably some that would take her (I know Kansas State recruited her).

I thought she could have developed into a 10-12 PPG scorer for the Lady Griz next season with an increased role, so definitely a hit on future depth. Hopefully the staff can retain the returning key players.

Huard is very promising (maybe Holsinger’s most talented HS recruit), but no NCAA tournament caliber team is throwing money at a player who averaged 7.4 PPG on 38.9% shooting on a third place Big Sky team.

I could see her wanting to move on and play at a bigger school, and there are probably some that would take her (I know Kansas State recruited her).

I thought she could have developed into a 10-12 PPG scorer for the Lady Griz next season with an increased role, so definitely a hit on future depth. Hopefully the staff can retain the returning key players.
I am told she has more potential than increasing her points by 2.6 and increasing depth. I don’t know much about women’s NIL, but I would want her on my team. She is young with a big upside, in my view. A big loss, in my view.

If Macey didn't want to be here long term, that is her choice. I don't personally think it is a referendum on anything in particular.

Would I like players to have the patience to wait things out? Absolutely.

Would I like the NCAA not being totally about cash grab for 5% of schools and coaches? Absolutely.

Would I love world peace? Absolutely.

I don't think any of those things are going to happen.

I'm not a huge fan of narratives because I don't think they line up with reality most times. We paint with too heavy a brush, and the reality is far more grey and nuanced. I'm not a fan of how the Huards handled this, nor am I necessarily a fan of how the NCAA has set up a system that promotes this type of behavior from coaches and players. The system is so broken and it is really hard to navigate it and not come out the other end coverage in some level of grime. No one is clean.

You can't help but get yourself caught up in complete and total win now scenarios where if things don't work out one year, purge those things that didn't work, reset the system and start over. Absolutely the feel of what is happening in places like Sacramento State on the womens side. Three years of a constant spin cycle of players. I don't think one or two players in the portal is an indication of anything anymore than there are one or two players in the portal. ISU's mens team is going to have 8-10 new faces next year and it isn't totally on Looney or the players. This is just what the system is. The new normal and it isn't perfect in any way. Like I said, everyone is a bit dirty here. The is no utopian, altruistic system, this is cold calculated free market system.

Best wishes to Macey and wherever she ends up. Wish her only the best.

Carroll is in the NAIA tourney, not Division 2.
College of Idaho is defending men's NAIA champ with 4 Montana kids playing roles this year. Peoples Germer Wyman and kid from Scobey. Why none on Griz or Cats benches? Maybe because it's a significantly different level. But Montana kids can play and with 12 or 13 suited up on full rides why not take a chance on scorers like these? Oakland the only D1 team in country to offer Goelke guy. He only nailed 10 3s last night to beat Kentucky. Peoples kid ever make any 3s?

Her dad talked about this a little bit this morning on his radio show in Seattle. He made it sound like he is not on board with her leaving. If you listen to his show it is apparent that he does not like the way the portal system is currently set up.
That’s interesting. Based on social media it looks like she may be headed to Oklahoma State. If that’s the case it looks like this was possibly a done deal before she entered the portal. They currently have 6 players in the portal.

I've listened to a number of coaches discuss this before, at all levels, about the economics of recruiting. I don't think coaches, particularly at the college level, have the type of patience level in terms of scholarship allotment even at the back of the bench. Travis has been rather consistent on taking flyers on walk-ons who are Montana kids and Sprinkle did similar things in Bozeman before departing to Logan.

I understand and had made this point elsewhere, but the fans of the LG were spoiled for years because many Montana HS players were at or above average than their peers. Moreover Montana and Montana State had a captive market and it made them successful. We've reached that point in the development of the womens game that is no longer the case, and why Montana HS's still commonly produce more Division 1 caliber players per capita than most states it doesn't compare at all to what it used to be. Moreover they aren't beholden to Montana or Montana State anymore, as evidenced by their presence on rosters of Pac-12 and MWC teams as well as other BSC conference teams.

Montana has created as a state probably no more than 5 players on the men's side over the past 15 to 20 years that would be considered elite level basketball talent and not much more that would be considered even BSC level players. That number has gotten smaller and smaller progressively over the past decade. The lone kid this year is Fisher Brown and he's in SLC at Wasatch Academy and at least on socials doesn't hold an offer from either Montana school. In part as I said about the Couture girl verballing to MSU, there has to be interest both ways. Brown holds an offer from Penn on VC and that is it. Somewhere along the way there was some level of communication, because I've heard next to nothing about Montana or MSU recruiting him and he's the one kid every five years that can play.

Are there kids that could be like Criswell or the kid from Oakland if given the opportunity to develop? Could have Malatare? Maybe. I think so, but as I said in the prior post about Macey I just don't think there is the patience on either side to let it play out over a four or five year period. While I think we all want to see Montana kids succeed at the highest levels and more importantly star for their home state schools, I am not under the illusion that those kids are available every year.

Did Carroll move up to D1 or are they still NAIA?

That’s interesting. Based on social media it looks like she may be headed to Oklahoma State. If that’s the case it looks like this was possibly a done deal before she entered the portal. They currently have 6 players in the portal.
This is what aggravates me about the portal is there is the lack of clarity where even if there wasn't impropriety, sure gives the appearance there was.

I have no problem with Macey Huard going into the portal, but doing so in the middle of a tournament is absolutely baffling to me.

Although maybe the conversation was...maybe go now, so those that are staying can get some post season PT??? Just a guess.

I have no problem with Macey Huard going into the portal, but doing so in the middle of a tournament is absolutely baffling to me.
Yeah, very baffling but is a big reason for all my comments above that She just came one season just to play with her sister and not really for the Lady Griz. The portal allowed her to do that as I do not think she would have come here if it weren't for the portal. At least she played one game of the tournament.

If Macey didn't want to be here long term, that is her choice. I don't personally think it is a referendum on anything in particular.

Would I like players to have the patience to wait things out? Absolutely.

Would I like the NCAA not being totally about cash grab for 5% of schools and coaches? Absolutely.

Would I love world peace? Absolutely.

I don't think any of those things are going to happen.

I'm not a huge fan of narratives because I don't think they line up with reality most times. We paint with too heavy a brush, and the reality is far more grey and nuanced. I'm not a fan of how the Huards handled this, nor am I necessarily a fan of how the NCAA has set up a system that promotes this type of behavior from coaches and players. The system is so broken and it is really hard to navigate it and not come out the other end coverage in some level of grime. No one is clean.

You can't help but get yourself caught up in complete and total win now scenarios where if things don't work out one year, purge those things that didn't work, reset the system and start over. Absolutely the feel of what is happening in places like Sacramento State on the womens side. Three years of a constant spin cycle of players. I don't think one or two players in the portal is an indication of anything anymore than there are one or two players in the portal. ISU's mens team is going to have 8-10 new faces next year and it isn't totally on Looney or the players. This is just what the system is. The new normal and it isn't perfect in any way. Like I said, everyone is a bit dirty here. The is no utopian, altruistic system, this is cold calculated free market system.

Best wishes to Macey and wherever she ends up. Wish her only the best.
Well said, on the level, best synopsis of current realities in college ball. Like some, my first reaction was shock, then angry, Macie such an amazing frosh player with so much ahead for her! Thanks again for your take on things, "It is, what it is"!

I've listened to a number of coaches discuss this before, at all levels, about the economics of recruiting. I don't think coaches, particularly at the college level, have the type of patience level in terms of scholarship allotment even at the back of the bench. Travis has been rather consistent on taking flyers on walk-ons who are Montana kids and Sprinkle did similar things in Bozeman before departing to Logan.

I understand and had made this point elsewhere, but the fans of the LG were spoiled for years because many Montana HS players were at or above average than their peers. Moreover Montana and Montana State had a captive market and it made them successful. We've reached that point in the development of the womens game that is no longer the case, and why Montana HS's still commonly produce more Division 1 caliber players per capita than most states it doesn't compare at all to what it used to be. Moreover they aren't beholden to Montana or Montana State anymore, as evidenced by their presence on rosters of Pac-12 and MWC teams as well as other BSC conference teams.

Montana has created as a state probably no more than 5 players on the men's side over the past 15 to 20 years that would be considered elite level basketball talent and not much more that would be considered even BSC level players. That number has gotten smaller and smaller progressively over the past decade. The lone kid this year is Fisher Brown and he's in SLC at Wasatch Academy and at least on socials doesn't hold an offer from either Montana school. In part as I said about the Couture girl verballing to MSU, there has to be interest both ways. Brown holds an offer from Penn on VC and that is it. Somewhere along the way there was some level of communication, because I've heard next to nothing about Montana or MSU recruiting him and he's the one kid every five years that can play.

Are there kids that could be like Criswell or the kid from Oakland if given the opportunity to develop? Could have Malatare? Maybe. I think so, but as I said in the prior post about Macey I just don't think there is the patience on either side to let it play out over a four or five year period. While I think we all want to see Montana kids succeed at the highest levels and more importantly star for their home state schools, I am not under the illusion that those kids are available every year.
Are there any MT kids playing in NCAA Tournament thus year?

Latest posts

Back