• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

michael oguine update

citygriz

so our star recruit's team, chaminade, will not repeat as state champs in their division. they got beat in the quarterfinals by a team, maranatha, that featured tyler dorsey, a five-star recruit headed for oregon. and dorsey lived up to his billing by dropping 52 on chaminade, whose frontcourt combined for five points the entire game. oguine and his backcourt teammate supplied all the rest of their team's points in the loss, oguine winding up with 27. good year, though, for oguine, named first-team all-cif, with averages of about 22 points, eight rebounds and five assists per game.

i'm hoping next year that dunn, wright and oguine form a three-guard combination that rockets that ball up the court. it's evident to me that the way you beat superior teams--or any teams, for that matter--is to get the ball upcourt before they can set their defense. i think we can play a three-guard offense because both dunn and oguine are good rebounders. granted, it's a high-risk, turnover-prone type of offense, but it's exciting to watch, and would bring fans back to dahlberg. wright and oguine are too good to play in a walk-the-damned-ball-up-the-court offense. we need to explot their quicks and outside shooting abilities.

by the way, tyler dorsey, the oregon recruit, will not sign a letter of intent, which binds you to a school no matter the coach who recruited you leaves for a better job. dorsey says he's committed to oregon, he just doesn't want to sign a binding legal document. all part of a player-rebellion that's going on right now in college athletics. these "student-athletes" are making a helluva lot of money for their schools, and they're rebelling the same way baseball players revolted against the old reserve clause. be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Thanks for the update, citay.

Also, I agree with your observation about a three-guard offense, and you only discussed offense. The defensive corollary is that three quick guards can pressure the opposing team before they can pressure us. Another way to make the game even more fun to watch.

Thanks for the update Citay. I am really excited to see how DeCuire utilizes the immense guard depth, on both ends of the court. We definitely have the guard depth to run and play aggressively. I wonder if our bigs beyond Breunig can run and press as well. I am sure Breunig will hold up fine.

I do like the thought of having improved on the ball defense. This year the GRIZ got beat in clutch moments with guards consistently making things happen with penetration or quick stop and pops. Dunn is great with on the ball defense. Gregory was great in off the ball the defense and wearing opponents down, and solid with on the ball defense. Bradshaw is not a defensive liability, but an average on the ball defender.

Next season the GRIZ will have Dunn, Wright, and Oguinne who are all quick, handle the ball well, and great to terrific on the ball defenders. That combination will make it difficult for offenses to drive the paint. Also Edmonds has the size and athleticism to become a great defender. He was gradually improving on defense before he became ineligible to play. His defensive weaknesses are a matter of learning when and where to be, and challenge himself to become a top defender.

I hope I get some time this summer to catch some open gyms during team and summer camps. I have a feeling the GRIZ may still get another post player for this upcoming season. I would not be surprised if we lose 1 more returning role player to free up another scholarship.

Either way, I am so excited to get next season here asap.

citay said:
so our star recruit's team, chaminade, will not repeat as state champs in their division. they got beat in the quarterfinals by a team, maranatha, that featured tyler dorsey, a five-star recruit headed for oregon. and dorsey lived up to his billing by dropping 52 on chaminade, whose frontcourt combined for five points the entire game. oguine and his backcourt teammate supplied all the rest of their team's points in the loss, oguine winding up with 27. good year, though, for oguine, named first-team all-cif, with averages of about 22 points, eight rebounds and five assists per game.

i'm hoping next year that dunn, wright and oguine form a three-guard combination that rockets that ball up the court. it's evident to me that the way you beat superior teams--or any teams, for that matter--is to get the ball upcourt before they can set their defense. i think we can play a three-guard offense because both dunn and oguine are good rebounders. granted, it's a high-risk, turnover-prone type of offense, but it's exciting to watch, and would bring fans back to dahlberg. wright and oguine are too good to play in a walk-the-damned-ball-up-the-court offense. we need to explot their quicks and outside shooting abilities.

by the way, tyler dorsey, the oregon recruit, will not sign a letter of intent, which binds you to a school no matter the coach who recruited you leaves for a better job. dorsey says he's committed to oregon, he just doesn't want to sign a binding legal document. all part of a player-rebellion that's going on right now in college athletics. these "student-athletes" are making a helluva lot of money for their schools, and they're rebelling the same way baseball players revolted against the old reserve clause. be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Didn't TD say he wanted to play that uptempo this year?

fanofzoo said:
citay said:

Didn't TD say he wanted to play that uptempo this year?

He tried, but a few things happened before the conference season started that caused him to change focus. The loss of Edmonds was huge. Edmonds was expected to contribute minutes at SF, SG, and some PG. Basically Edmonds was the GRIZ most versatile wing player. That was a huge blow, at the time. Also, Kemp being inconsistent before conference play started, was too big of a question mark to give the needed quality depth in the front court to play that style. Also Breunig was in foul trouble too often. A faster pace would have magnified the lack of post depth. Krslovic was not able to play major minutes at a faster pace while developing his game.

Could have the GRIZ played more uptempo the last month of the season? With Kemp's development, Bradshaw's and Gfeller's improvement, I believe the GRIZ could have played it pretty good then. Keep in mind, the change to a slower pace and more emphasis on defense led the GRIZ to the being the best team in the league the 2nd half of conference season. Why would Travis risk losing what was working so well? I feel Travis and the staff ended up making the right decisions to give the team the most success.

The Los Angeles Daily News posted the top bball players today..Michael Oguine was chosen first team all City....what a coup for this staff....the others are all headed to the very big programs...Too bad we couldn't land a couple of the girls from that school...they were second in the State.....

This thread makes me nervous every time it pops up. I keep thinking its best to hold my breath until he is actually on campus and in class and ready to lace 'em up on the court. I'm totally jacked to see what he brings.

Scout has him up to the 26th ranked PG in the nation. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb&sFirstName=&sLastName=oguine&yr=2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I am praying he keeps his commitment and brings other 3 and 4 star recruits.

mtgrizrule said:
Scout has him up to the 26th ranked PG in the nation. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb&sFirstName=&sLastName=oguine&yr=2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I am praying he keeps his commitment and brings other 3 and 4 star recruits.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he already signed? If that's the case then his commitment is a done deal - signed, sealed & delivered. Go ahead & keep praying for more 3* & 4* recruits though, we'll take all we can get.

GoldStandardGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he already signed? If that's the case then his commitment is a done deal - signed, sealed & delivered. Go ahead & keep praying for more 3* & 4* recruits though, we'll take all we can get.
You are correct. He signed last September. It is a done deal.

WaGriz4life said:
GoldStandardGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

Thanks for putting my mind at peace. I forgot he already signed. Anyone else even more excited for basketball season to get her now? Oguine's arrival has me pumped!!!!!

WaGriz4life said:
GoldStandardGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

He couldn't sign in September.....November 12th thru November 19th (I believe) was the earliest anyone could sign in the early signing period.....otherwise April 15th (today) is the next time anyone could sign, therefore NO ONE signed in September......period.....he may have verballed in September but that is all he could of done....

sacstateman said:
WaGriz4life said:
GoldStandardGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

He couldn't sign in September.....November 12th thru November 19th (I believe) was the earliest anyone could sign in the early signing period.....otherwise April 15th (today) is the next time anyone could sign, therefore NO ONE signed in September......period.....he may have verballed in September but that is all he could of done....

He did sign his LOI during the early signing period. http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-oguine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mtgrizrule said:
sacstateman said:
WaGriz4life said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

He did sign his LOI during the early signing period. http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-oguine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That makes me feel much better. I had completely missed that he had committed during the early signing period!

NorthEndZoneDan said:
mtgrizrule said:
sacstateman said:
WaGriz4life said:

That makes me feel much better. I had completely missed that he had committed during the early signing period!

At least I know I was not the only one who forgot about him already signing the LOI. :thumb:

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150414/2015-daily-news-boys-basketball-all-area-team-aaron-holiday-bennie-boatwright-share-top-honors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MICHAEL OGUINE

Chaminade, Senior, G

Oguine capped his Chaminade career by continuing the scoring brilliance he showed last year. The Montana-bound senior had 30 or more points in five games this season, including a career-best 45 points in a win against Village Christian at the San Fernando Valley Invitational. He averaged 21.3 points per game to go along with 7.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.9 steals as the Eagles advanced to the semifinals of the Southern Section Division 4AA playoffs and the second round of the Southern California Division IV regional tournament.

:clap:

Back