• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mick "3rd and Long" Delaney

ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:
mtgrizfankb said:
NikeGrizz said:
been talking about it all day.. we would get good yards on the quick swings/screens but would only run them on the late downs.. please get the ball in our playmakers hands in early downs please!
Really? I saw multiple screens blown up and qiucks to van and screens blown up. We got beat by a better team. Quit complaining. It was a learning experience and jj had less time to throw than ever before. We got beat ...plain and simple it was not coaching.

It is coaching when back to back years we have struggled with the same thing offensively. This year is worse because of lack of experience at OL. This staff makes very few adjustments offensively to help the personnel out. Hell last season we had 3 SR OL who at least made NFL training camps . Also 2 LB's making NFL rosters, and a 3rd LB making the CFL. Christ sakes, that is 6 players playing at the highest 2 leagues in the sport. Yet, what does the program and university have to show for it? It is not a talent issue. It is learning how to utilize the talent and making adjustments game to game to get the best out of the talent.

So far the only positive improvement on this team is defense. I admit, the defense still has to improve with more consistent pass coverage, and stopping a power running team. The defense lost a ton of talent at LB, yet the new LB core is playing well, at least better than many thought they would. At times, the defense even seems to have a little edge to them. The offense has ZERO edge or attitude!!!

It is also coaching when this staff has yet to be win against a playoff caliber team. I will give them a pass on year 1. That situation was a nightmare situation for everyone involved. We can thank our fearless leader Royce Engstrom for that colossal screw up.

Sorry, but the University of Montana GRIZ football program should never accept anything less than being a FCS title contender every year. This staff needs to learn how to win big games. It starts with learning how to make adjustments from opponent to opponent. Even minor tweaks would help this offense. Why is it we cannot make adjustments on the passing game from any damn formation? Teams can run quick routes and pick defenses apart even in power formations. Also, how often do we try running damn WR screens or screens to Van when we go 4 and 5 WR sets?

Hell had we even ran one option and have JJ keep the ball that would have helped our RBs and OL. Yet, not 1 time did he keep it. Him keeping it would have been good yards a few times. Yet, last year our less athletic QB, Smithwick-Hann ran that play to perfection a few times. No staff in any offensive scheme can be consistently successful if they are not willing to make the necessary tweaks. Also when a team that finds something that is working, don't go away from whatever it is!!! This staff is lousy at that too, that is the few times they find something that is working.

Next game is UNC, the team will again look like a contender. Yet, how many of you are confident we can win 2 of 3 against EWU, MSU, and Sac State? The irony of this, I somehow had faith this team could possibly give NDSU all it could handle, and even believed an upset was possible. Despite the coaching, the talent almost did. Why was I thinking that? Our defense has looked much better than I expected this early. Gregorak has actually made some nice adjustments since last season, and they do have a little edge to them. I feel that will continue defensively. Offensively, my faith in the offensive coaching staff's play calling is as bad as it has ever been. I just want them to prove they can make the necessary adjustments to help their offense. Is that really asking or expecting too much for the offensive coaching staff?

I won't leave out special teams. Sullivan had better be named the kicker starting next week. From spring through this game, he has looked to be the most consistent. It would not surprise me if MD manages to name the least consistent kicker, Lider as our kicker.

Am I being a hard ass on the offensive coaches? Damn right I am. So far they are the main reason why this team is struggling. This team actually has great talent. It is perplexing to have 2 years with the same problems on the same side of the ball. I want to see Van run mean like he 1st did when he 1st got here. We need all our RB's to run with the conviction we saw from Wyoming and NDSU. Extra yards here and there make a difference in tight games. Even if it costs us a damn flag or 2, I want to see some aggression and attitude from a few of our OL too!!! We have a couple of young guys who can be that guy too. :thumb:

To end on a somewhat positive note. Great job Defense by stopping NDSU in the redzone and fighting from start to finish against them. :thumb:

Are we really "struggling"? Come now, we just lost a game to the number team in the country the last 40 months or so....and were not blown out like so many predicted. We also lost to a much improved Wyoming squad who will make a bowl game this year IMO. Could we be better? Of course, but even when winning all the time the goal is to be better. What if JJ did the option you mention, and then got leveled, suffers a career ending concussion (god forbid)....maybe....no no....absolutely these coaches understand more about this then 99% of the posters on here....its simple execution. If we are executing these plays, the number of whiners/snivlers/bitchers would drop dramatically. In Big Sky play this team is going to average 35-40 points a game. Its not coaching....not even close. Coaches are simply the first individuals that fans feel the need to lash out at. NDSU fans.....are just taking their head coach, and coaches to task for the game yesterday. Difference? Execution.

My point is not just about this game. My disappointment is our offense is not consistent because the offensive coaching staff has not made the necessary adjustments to help this team. Most of what I have mentioned have been problems against playoff caliber teams for almost a year now. It is not just a game or 2. I don't like criticizing, bitching, evaluating, or whatever combination of wording you want to use. To me, and many others these things have been problematic and holding the GRIZ back from being a true contender.

Is this program/team bad? Hell no. Could they be better and true contender? Hell yes, the talent is there. The lack of quality wins in Delaney's tenure so far make the GRIZ, at best a pretender with a glimpse of hope. Everything I have pointed out is the harsh truth in my opinion. The GRIZ are a program that has earned the high expectations from the fans. We should not expect or accept being an average to above average FCS program. AT this stage, that is exactly what this program is under Delaney. One side (defense) of the ball has gradually improved under their staff. The other side of the ball is inconsistent and in some regards possibly worse off than they were at this time last year. Our offense has not improved, which is a major disappointment. The 3rd team (special teams) is inconsistent at best, and kicking also has not improved. It is not a good sign when 2/3 of your team has not improved over a year or 2. The inconsistencies and lack of improvement is all on the coaching.

Do I want Delaney and the staff to be successful? There is nothing I want more for this program. I do my best to support every coaching staff. Does that mean myself or other fans have to accept things and not give our opinions? Hell no, that is part of being a fan for any team in all sports. As a somewhat knowledgeable fan, and speaking from an outside point of view, I honestly believe if the offensive coaches add just a few more tweaks to the offense, it will make a world of difference. This is the difference in accepting mediocrity and being a true contender again. What do you want as a fan?

mtgrizrule said:
The lack of quality wins in Delaney's tenure so far make the GRIZ, at best a pretender with a glimpse of hope.

Agree with pretty much everything else you said in this thread. Just wanted to expand on this line a bit more. At the end of last year I was curious how Hauck did in his first 2 years & Pflu in his 2 years here did vs good competition (above .500 record against D1 opponents) compared to Delaney.

Here are the results:

Hauck:
Against teams with a winning record: 8-5
Against all other teams: 13-1
Record against Playoff bound Teams: 5-4
Record in the playoffs: 3-2 (0-1 in NC)

Pflugrad:
Against teams with a winning record: 5-5
Against all other teams: 11-2
Record against Playoff bound Teams: 3-3
Record in the playoffs: 2-1

Delaney:
Against teams with a winning record: 1-7
Against all other teams: 13-2
Record against Playoff bound Teams: 0-6
Record in the playoffs: 0-1

So 0-6 against playoff bound teams and 1-7 against teams with above .500 records vs D1 opponents... and that 1 win was against the Cats when they were falling apart at the end of last year. Not exactly impressive. In fact that's quite the drop off for a successful team like the Griz.

mtgrizrule said:
ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Really? I saw multiple screens blown up and qiucks to van and screens blown up. We got beat by a better team. Quit complaining. It was a learning experience and jj had less time to throw than ever before. We got beat ...plain and simple it was not coaching.

It is coaching when back to back years we have struggled with the same thing offensively. This year is worse because of lack of experience at OL. This staff makes very few adjustments offensively to help the personnel out. Hell last season we had 3 SR OL who at least made NFL training camps . Also 2 LB's making NFL rosters, and a 3rd LB making the CFL. Christ sakes, that is 6 players playing at the highest 2 leagues in the sport. Yet, what does the program and university have to show for it? It is not a talent issue. It is learning how to utilize the talent and making adjustments game to game to get the best out of the talent.

So far the only positive improvement on this team is defense. I admit, the defense still has to improve with more consistent pass coverage, and stopping a power running team. The defense lost a ton of talent at LB, yet the new LB core is playing well, at least better than many thought they would. At times, the defense even seems to have a little edge to them. The offense has ZERO edge or attitude!!!

It is also coaching when this staff has yet to be win against a playoff caliber team. I will give them a pass on year 1. That situation was a nightmare situation for everyone involved. We can thank our fearless leader Royce Engstrom for that colossal screw up.

Sorry, but the University of Montana GRIZ football program should never accept anything less than being a FCS title contender every year. This staff needs to learn how to win big games. It starts with learning how to make adjustments from opponent to opponent. Even minor tweaks would help this offense. Why is it we cannot make adjustments on the passing game from any damn formation? Teams can run quick routes and pick defenses apart even in power formations. Also, how often do we try running damn WR screens or screens to Van when we go 4 and 5 WR sets?

Hell had we even ran one option and have JJ keep the ball that would have helped our RBs and OL. Yet, not 1 time did he keep it. Him keeping it would have been good yards a few times. Yet, last year our less athletic QB, Smithwick-Hann ran that play to perfection a few times. No staff in any offensive scheme can be consistently successful if they are not willing to make the necessary tweaks. Also when a team that finds something that is working, don't go away from whatever it is!!! This staff is lousy at that too, that is the few times they find something that is working.

Next game is UNC, the team will again look like a contender. Yet, how many of you are confident we can win 2 of 3 against EWU, MSU, and Sac State? The irony of this, I somehow had faith this team could possibly give NDSU all it could handle, and even believed an upset was possible. Despite the coaching, the talent almost did. Why was I thinking that? Our defense has looked much better than I expected this early. Gregorak has actually made some nice adjustments since last season, and they do have a little edge to them. I feel that will continue defensively. Offensively, my faith in the offensive coaching staff's play calling is as bad as it has ever been. I just want them to prove they can make the necessary adjustments to help their offense. Is that really asking or expecting too much for the offensive coaching staff?

I won't leave out special teams. Sullivan had better be named the kicker starting next week. From spring through this game, he has looked to be the most consistent. It would not surprise me if MD manages to name the least consistent kicker, Lider as our kicker.

Am I being a hard ass on the offensive coaches? Damn right I am. So far they are the main reason why this team is struggling. This team actually has great talent. It is perplexing to have 2 years with the same problems on the same side of the ball. I want to see Van run mean like he 1st did when he 1st got here. We need all our RB's to run with the conviction we saw from Wyoming and NDSU. Extra yards here and there make a difference in tight games. Even if it costs us a damn flag or 2, I want to see some aggression and attitude from a few of our OL too!!! We have a couple of young guys who can be that guy too. :thumb:

To end on a somewhat positive note. Great job Defense by stopping NDSU in the redzone and fighting from start to finish against them. :thumb:

Are we really "struggling"? Come now, we just lost a game to the number team in the country the last 40 months or so....and were not blown out like so many predicted. We also lost to a much improved Wyoming squad who will make a bowl game this year IMO. Could we be better? Of course, but even when winning all the time the goal is to be better. What if JJ did the option you mention, and then got leveled, suffers a career ending concussion (god forbid)....maybe....no no....absolutely these coaches understand more about this then 99% of the posters on here....its simple execution. If we are executing these plays, the number of whiners/snivlers/bitchers would drop dramatically. In Big Sky play this team is going to average 35-40 points a game. Its not coaching....not even close. Coaches are simply the first individuals that fans feel the need to lash out at. NDSU fans.....are just taking their head coach, and coaches to task for the game yesterday. Difference? Execution.

My point is not just about this game. My disappointment is our offense is not consistent because the offensive coaching staff has not made the necessary adjustments to help this team. Most of what I have mentioned have been problems against playoff caliber teams for almost a year now. It is not just a game or 2. I don't like criticizing, bitching, evaluating, or whatever combination of wording you want to use. To me, and many others these things have been problematic and holding the GRIZ back from being a true contender.

Is this program/team bad? Hell no. Could they be better and true contender? Hell yes, the talent is there. The lack of quality wins in Delaney's tenure so far make the GRIZ, at best a pretender with a glimpse of hope. Everything I have pointed out is the harsh truth in my opinion. The GRIZ are a program that has earned the high expectations from the fans. We should not expect or accept being an average to above average FCS program. AT this stage, that is exactly what this program is under Delaney. One side (defense) of the ball has gradually improved under their staff. The other side of the ball is inconsistent and in some regards possibly worse off than they were at this time last year. Our offense has not improved, which is a major disappointment. The 3rd team (special teams) is inconsistent at best, and kicking also has not improved. It is not a good sign when 2/3 of your team has not improved over a year or 2. The inconsistencies and lack of improvement is all on the coaching.

Do I want Delaney and the staff to be successful? There is nothing I want more for this program. I do my best to support every coaching staff. Does that mean myself or other fans have to accept things and not give our opinions? Hell no, that is part of being a fan for any team in all sports. As a somewhat knowledgeable fan, and speaking from an outside point of view, I honestly believe if the offensive coaches add just a few more tweaks to the offense, it will make a world of difference. This is the difference in accepting mediocrity and being a true contender again. What do you want as a fan?

I am a fan....nothing more nothing less. Win or lose I'm still a fan. For 30 years in the NFL I have followed the same team. They never won at anything, but there was always hope. Many seasons 2-12, 2-14, 3 wins, 4 wins....finally a Super Bowl....and they were trashed. Then almost 20 more years until they finally made another Super Bowl.....but I was still a fan. NOT one person I ever met in Montana or anywhere out west liked my team. Most were indifferent. Now....3 Super Bowl wins in last 10 years.....with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time....although IMO not even greatest on team. The greatest from late 70s was injured much of his career....but I was a fan.

Now......I effing surrounded by FANS everywhere who do nothing but bitch/whine/complain/moan about my team (Patriots if you haven't figured it out).....that I've always been a fan of. Winning is nice but it does not affect my judgement of my team. I cheer always for my team....that is a fan. Sadly the Griz have dozens of people that are really not fans...oh they say they are....but let the Griz experience 3-4 years with a total of 3-4 wins and see how many fans we really have. Not saying that's you....but am saying that's not me.

Potomac Griz said:
mtgrizrule said:
The lack of quality wins in Delaney's tenure so far make the GRIZ, at best a pretender with a glimpse of hope.

Agree with pretty much everything else you said in this thread. Just wanted to expand on this line a bit more. At the end of last year I was curious how Hauck did in his first 2 years & Pflu in his 2 years here did vs good competition (above .500 record against D1 opponents) compared to Delaney.

Here are the results:

Hauck:

Pflugrad:

Delaney:

So 0-6 against playoff bound teams and 1-7 against teams with above .500 records vs D1 opponents... and that 1 win was against the Cats when they were falling apart at the end of last year. Not exactly impressive. In fact that's quite the drop off for a successful team like the Griz.

Can't compare. Delaney faced so much more when taking over the Griz then either of the other two. Amazing that people can't see how far he has actually brought this team Without Delaney we are winning 1-2 games a year if we are lucky.

ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:
ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:

I am a fan....nothing more nothing less. Win or lose I'm still a fan. For 30 years in the NFL I have followed the same team. They never won at anything, but there was always hope. Many seasons 2-12, 2-14, 3 wins, 4 wins....finally a Super Bowl....and they were trashed. Then almost 20 more years until they finally made another Super Bowl.....but I was still a fan. NOT one person I ever met in Montana or anywhere out west liked my team. Most were indifferent. Now....3 Super Bowl wins in last 10 years.....with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time....although IMO not even greatest on team. The greatest from late 70s was injured much of his career....but I was a fan.

Now......I effing surrounded by FANS everywhere who do nothing but bitch/whine/complain/moan about my team (Patriots if you haven't figured it out).....that I've always been a fan of. Winning is nice but it does not affect my judgement of my team. I cheer always for my team....that is a fan. Sadly the Griz have dozens of people that are really not fans...oh they say they are....but let the Griz experience 3-4 years with a total of 3-4 wins and see how many fans we really have. Not saying that's you....but am saying that's not me.

For the record, I am a life long Philadelphia Eagles fan. I chose them as my team as a kid because nobody in this area rooted for them. I wanted to root for a team others did not. One day I watched the Eagles with Carmichael, Jaws, Montgomery, etc from that game on they have been my team. I did not want to root for common teams of the Steelers, Cowboys, Vikings, Packers, Bears, Seahawks, Broncos, Raiders, 49ers.

The GRIZ, Eagles, Dodgers, Avalanche (was not a hockey fan until moving to Denver), Lakers (despite of my dislike for Kobe) have been my teams for life. That will never change. :thumb:

ordigger said:
Potomac Griz said:
mtgrizrule said:

Here are the results:

Hauck:

Pflugrad:

Delaney:

Can't compare. Delaney faced so much more when taking over the Griz then either of the other two. Amazing that people can't see how far he has actually brought this team Without Delaney we are winning 1-2 games a year if we are lucky.
Really?
You can't believe that...1-2 wins a year without delaney...that's getting Growler type delusional...
If Pflu was here, we MAY have had a rough 2012 without JJ, but last year and this year wouldve been title runs. Maybe not title wins, but definately title runs.
1-2 wins....for fucks sake...Name a coach, any coach...they would've won mor than 2-4 games in the last two years with this talent...
That's the most Gawd damned ridiculous thing I've ever heard...

ordigger said:
Potomac Griz said:
mtgrizrule said:

Here are the results:

Hauck:

Pflugrad:

Delaney:

Funny sh*t there, Oredigger. So, let me get this straight, so I will not think you are totally clueless............ you think that Delaney is the genius behind our W/L record the past two years and the embarrassing home playoff loss? I get it. I hear that several NFL teams have Mick pegged for their head coaching job next year.

Who cares what pro teams you guys like? I am glad you all have a team and do or do not complain to your dog about the coaching or team play.

I love football and I think fans need to have opinions.... right or wrong.

I know and like Mick Delaney. However I do no like the offense he is coaching. It is old out dated and antique. The world changes and so should coaching. I watched two teams play yesterday (I don't like either one) and they both have innovative coaching on the offensive side of the ball. Eastern wa. VS msu. Both had neat plays and some were slick and fun for fans to watch. We may beat both (I hope) but both teams had far superior offensive coaching.

I also know Ty and like him and I have noted his improved defensive coaching and am proud of him. Other Griz assistant coaches I have met and I tend to like them. I do not know the coaching abilities of them other than what I see every weekend. When I see improvement I love to note that fact. If I see the same o -- same o with little improvement I state just that.
Why love a poor coaching job even though you like the guy?
I know some are in love with Delaney and believe his coaching is over the top. I do not see it that way and feel it is my opinion. If others see it another way that is fine with me. I just want the Griz to go all the way every year. Delaney did not like Don Reads pass crazy offense but I loved it and still do. I love passing and only want to run the ball to give the QB time to rest his arm. Joke, ok?

I simply want a slick offense that is unpredictable and can win games!

mtgrizrule said:
The GRIZ, Eagles, Dodgers, Avalanche (was not a hockey fan until moving to Denver), Lakers (despite of my dislike for Kobe) have been my teams for life. That will never change. :thumb:

Go Avs! :thumb:

Go Cubs & Rockies!

dammit... :cry:

stubbins said:
ordigger said:
Without Delaney we are winning 1-2 games a year if we are lucky.
Really?
You can't believe that...1-2 wins a year without delaney...that's getting Growler type delusional...

He hasn't threatened to shoot anyone yet though or talk about his imaginary play dates with important people & Griz parents :p

Still, that statement of 1-2 wins without Delaney is baffling. It's not like Delaney had to rebuild an entire team from scratch. The talent was still there. He just decided to take that talent which appears to be built mostly for Pflu's type of offense and cram it into a different system that isn't working too well.

No anyone who cant see that the coaching staff is a god damn problem needs to wake up....IDK how many Bison fans that told me how impressed they were with the talent we had on our team...we were just as talented team as the bison....our defense and defensive staff had a great game plan and they played it to perfection.....the difference is our BIPOLAR offensive playcalling...and Delaneys lack of big decision making skills......its like we try and get too cute...well find something working than we change it up before the other team even stops us....its the most frustrating thing to watch! Delaney has got to go...he did his job...kept the ship afloat when we needed it...and I am thankful for that...but he was not supposed to be the coach for more than 3 god damn years!!!!!

The worst part is...Engstrom wont do a damn thing about it...he is more than happy to ride Delaney and the football program into the ground because he is a monkey taint!

ur a guud riter and mak sum rilly guud points and rilley kood werk fer the Mizzulian. :clap:

BadlandsGrizFan said:
No anyone who cant see that the coaching staff is a god damn problem needs to wake up....IDK how many Bison fans that told me how impressed they were with the talent we had on our team...we were just as talented team as the bison....our defense and defensive staff had a great game plan and they played it to perfection.....the difference is our BIPOLAR offensive playcalling...and Delaneys lack of big decision making skills......its like we try and get too cute...well find something working than we change it up before the other team even stops us....its the most frustrating thing to watch! Delaney has got to go...he did his job...kept the ship afloat when we needed it...and I am thankful for that...but he was not supposed to be the coach for more than 3 god damn years!!!!!

The worst part is...Engstrom wont do a damn thing about it...he is more than happy to ride Delaney and the football program into the ground because he is a monkey taint!

Proud Griz Man said:
ur a guud riter and mak sum rilly guud points and rilley kood werk fer the Mizzulian. :clap:

BadlandsGrizFan said:

Ya I literally put zero effort into punctuation, spelling, or any formal draft of writing on egriz..why you ask...ITS A FUCKING ONLINE FOOTBALL FORUM YOU DOUCHE BAG!

Well stated. Speaking of Bipolar.
Get your azz over to practice, so you can coach the offense and be the offensive playcaller. Mick Delaney really needs your brilliant mind.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Proud Griz Man said:

BadlandsGrizFan said:

Ya I literally put zero effort into punctuation, spelling, or any formal draft of writing on egriz..why you ask...ITS A f***[*] ONLINE FOOTBALL FORUM YOU DOUCHE BAG!

Potomac Griz said:
Go Cubs & Rockies!

dammit... :cry:

stubbins said:
ordigger said:
Without Delaney we are winning 1-2 games a year if we are lucky.
Really?

He hasn't threatened to shoot anyone yet though or talk about his imaginary play dates with important people & Griz parents :p

Still, that statement of 1-2 wins without Delaney is baffling. It's not like Delaney had to rebuild an entire team from scratch. The talent was still there. He just decided to take that talent which appears to be built mostly for Pflu's type of offense and cram it into a different system that isn't working too well.

Not sure what I meant either.....honestly don't even remember posting it....lol. And no I don't drink, but have been up since 4 am Saturday with less than 2 hrs sleep......Just two more hrs, and I can finally get 10+ hrs. This is what happens when you work 2 rigs at same time....going back and forth.

If I'm guessing my point was probably that Mick rescued this team at a very bad time.

Back