• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana at Stanford Pac-12 network

Not going to be a good season for UM....back to the drawing board...UCLA and Washington are going to be tough, Riverside is about equal to UM, Northridge is going to be trouble...Weber, Idaho, MSU, PSU, SUU, EWU..going to be a rough ride.

Jeez...2-19 in the last 10 minutes...got outscored 26-4. Ouch. Were up 6, end up losing by 16.

Tough to win a game shooting 29.2% from the field and 16% from 3. Caused 18 turnovers but just flat out couldn't throw it in the ocean for large periods of time. Those last 10 minutes were awful. Looked like we'd never seen a zone before early on in that 10 min stretch, got rattled and then started blowing easy looks and bricking everything else.

Travis needs to get these guys to execute. His teams have had trouble from the FT Line. These guys need to execute. Stanford already has lost to other Big Sky teams. Sad

That's what I would call a bad loss. No one can shoot. Offense is just dribbling around with no passing except on the outside.

Seems the Lady Griz shooting woes have infected the Griz. Must be an infectious disease or something.

griznative24 said:
That's what I would call a bad loss. No one can shoot. Offense is just dribbling around with no passing except on the outside.

That was absolutely pathetic basketball. I’m serious when I say TD needs to turn it around or he may be looking for a job sooner rather than later. Who’s the shooting coach? That’s a serious problem.

Ouch that hurt. Poor shooting all around but we still should have won. Way to many attempts on 3’s especially at the last 3 minutes of the game. Ohguine can’t be the whole team. I hope they get something figured out.

AZDoc said:
griznative24 said:

That was absolutely pathetic basketball. I’m serious when I say TD needs to turn it around or he may be looking for a job sooner rather than later. Who’s the shooting coach? That’s a serious problem.

I'm starting to worry about Decuire as well. They just look so out of touch offensively. All those back door cuts for the oop from last year are gone. How many missed layups? Its one thing to miss 3's but what the hell is going on down there?

GrizLA said:
grizonbob said:
Falls always seems off kilter when he shoots

I don't get the hype on this kid. He should have been red shirted as he is not ready.

You can't go with only 7 players getting decent minutes.

His shot isn't falling but he's also doing a pretty good job on D and doesn't look lost out there on O like many true freshman do.

I bet by after a few games into the Big Sky season we will have seen some significant improvement from him. Hopefully he'll be able to get some good minutes in the CS-N game. That's a game the Griz really should win and hopefully win it fairly easy.

Just got to hotel. What happened? I know, I know we cant shoot. But is there more going on here? These guys have the ability to shoot. Lacking confidence? Lacking on-the-floor leadership which does affect confidence?

cmtgrizzly said:
Just got to hotel. What happened? I know, I know we cant shoot. But is there more going on here? These guys have the ability to shoot. Lacking confidence? Lacking on-the-floor leadership which does affect confidence?

Griz struggled big time with Stanford's zone. Got up 50-44 though despite that then absolutely fell apart offensively.

Up 50-44 with about 10 mins to go the Griz went on a 5+ minute scoring drought (where they were 0-7 shooting, 0-4 being from 3, 0-1 from the FT line and had 3 turnovers). Stanford pulled ahead 56-50. Griz got two buckets (one off a miss by Rorie & putback by Akoh, another off a good pass from Rorie to Akoh) within a minute of each other to pull within 2 points 56-54. After that they spent the last 4 minutes of the game without another point going 0-9 shooting with 8 of them being 3s.

The fact that in the last 10 minutes the Griz took 12 threes (out of 18 shots, two being made by Akoh) is a good illustration of how the aggressiveness of our offense disappeared in those 10 minutes. We stopped attacking and started standing around passing around the perimeter and then having to chuck up a three eventually. When the 3s and outside shots aren't falling from our guards our offense grinds to a halt if our guards don't stay aggressive and try to drive to the hole. Teams know they can double Akoh or Fab inside inside and pretty much take them out of the game if the outside shots aren't falling and we're doing a lot of standing around outside the 3 point line.

It was frustrating to watch because in my opinion the Griz should have been able to win this game with even mediocre shooting. Not going to win many games shooting 29% and 16% from 3 :(

The Griz are a better shooting team than this though. If you compare Rorie and Oguine's numbers last year they're way down this year. They'll pull out of this little slump though I'm sure.

Oh well on to the next game. The Griz have a good opportunity to get a nice confidence building win on Sunday then it's back on the road against a very good UCLA team and a good Georgia State team.

Potomac Griz said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Griz struggled big time with Stanford's zone. Got up 50-44 though despite that then absolutely fell apart offensively.

Up 50-44 with about 10 mins to go the Griz went on a 5+ minute scoring drought (where they were 0-7 shooting, 0-4 being from 3, 0-1 from the FT line and had 3 turnovers). Stanford pulled ahead 56-50. Griz got two buckets (one off a miss by Rorie & putback by Akoh, another off a good pass from Rorie to Akoh) within a minute of each other to pull within 2 points 56-54. After that they spent the last 4 minutes of the game without another point going 0-9 shooting with 8 of them being 3s.

The fact that in the last 10 minutes the Griz took 12 threes (out of 18 shots, two being made by Akoh) is a good illustration of how the aggressiveness of our offense disappeared in those 10 minutes. We stopped attacking and started standing around passing around the perimeter and then having to chuck up a three eventually. When the 3s and outside shots aren't falling from our guards our offense grinds to a halt if our guards don't stay aggressive and try to drive to the hole. Teams know they can double Akoh or Fab inside inside and pretty much take them out of the game if the outside shots aren't falling and we're doing a lot of standing around outside the 3 point line.

It was frustrating to watch because in my opinion the Griz should have been able to win this game with even mediocre shooting. Not going to win many games shooting 29% and 16% from 3 :(

The Griz are a better shooting team than this though. If you compare Rorie and Oguine's numbers last year they're way down this year. They'll pull out of this little slump though I'm sure.

Oh well on to the next game. The Griz have a good opportunity to get a nice confidence building win on Sunday then it's back on the road against a very good UCLA team and a good Georgia State team.

We had that problem (bolded above) when Martin Breunig was here as well. Too often our shooters couldnt punish teams for double teaming MB by making some threes.

Potomac Griz said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Happens every single game. Every one.

What happened to Niko, in the dog house ? isn't he supposed to be a shooter ? Timmy isn't showing much other than breathing.

Potomac Griz said:
GrizLA said:
grizonbob said:
Falls always seems off kilter when he shoots

I don't get the hype on this kid. He should have been red shirted as he is not ready.

You can't go with only 7 players getting decent minutes.

His shot isn't falling but he's also doing a pretty good job on D and doesn't look lost out there on O like many true freshman do.

I bet by after a few games into the Big Sky season we will have seen some significant improvement from him. Hopefully he'll be able to get some good minutes in the CS-N game. That's a game the Griz really should win and hopefully win it fairly easy.

I can see why the coaches are giving him playing time. He obviously has a lot of athletic ability. He hustles and is a force on the defensive end. The team needs someone who can spell the guards.

Falls must have some offensive skills with all the points he scored in high school, but so far in college he looks overwhelmed at times on the offensive end. He sometimes forces things too much, doesn't get squared up enough on too many of his shots, and so on. Have to assume the coaches are working with him on these things.

Has to be a big leap from the high school level to college level... playing against Pac 12 competition can make that even more evident.

But I think he'll come around. Practicing against Oguine and Rorie every day is bound to help a lot in that regard.

Montana competed for all but the last Ten Minutes.

The Last Ten, They looked flatter than a Poor Eddy St. Hobo's Billfold....

Back