• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

N. Colorado in NCAA trouble

PlayerRep said:
Griz2k said:
Wait, so they cheated and still suck at pretty much everything?

Didn't they win the men's hoops championship during this time period and go to the ncaa's? Looks like this may have paid off for them in that regard.

Exactly...they actually beat our Griz in the BSC championship in this time frame.

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Sport said:
As one poster pointed out it's not bad enough that NCU/UNC failed to compete on the field despite these egress violations but they only serve to give a black eye to the Big Sky Conference. I feel that Fullerton's experiment of incorporating schools close to major population centers has proven to be a colossal mistake. It has not proven to expand our brand in a positive way. If you look at attendance for sporting events it's an embarrassment.
I think it's time to end this misguided (ad)venture and start with giving NCU/UNC two years to find another affiliation or drop down to Division II. And then I would put the other marginal, and you know who you are, on a 5 year plan to meet certain facilities and attendance criteria or face expulsion from the conference.

From your lips to a commissioner's ear. But not holding my breath on Williams wading in with anything as logical as this.

+2 Great post! You're giving EG an erection.

True dat. And thank GOD it's Valentine's Day so that I have at least a marginal chance of putting it to use without going blind.

HAHAHAH POTY nom

Yet another black eye for the BSC. There is little to no doubt in my mind that the conference did all they could to hand that bsc title to noco in 2011 in order to justify Foolerton's Folly.

It's well beyond time to cut ties to the teams who have no business in the conference.

PlayerRep said:
Griz2k said:

Didn't they win the men's hoops championship during this time period and go to the ncaa's? Looks like this may have paid off for them in that regard.

This is true... They did steal a championship back then.

PlayerRep said:
Griz2k said:

He did accomplish this, in his first year, piggy-backing off what the previous coach had left him. Since that first season, his record went straight down hill. I am not sure how much impact the cheating had on the Championship, but it certainly didn't help him win afterwards.

kyle_sample said:
citay said:
kyle_sample said:
Why is this in the football forum and not the basketball forum?

Because the sanctions could affect their football program?

How?
I thought if it were a problem of administrative oversight, it could affect all programs under the aegis of that administration. But I could be wrong.

Payton,

Kyle thinks this thread should move because it has more relevance to basketball. Plz move it before anyone else tries to justify it having an impact on the football team. Wasn't losing there last year enough?

citay said:
kyle_sample said:
citay said:
kyle_sample said:

How?
I thought if it were a of administrative oversight, it could affect all programs under the aegis of that administration. But I could be wrong.

"We lacked institutional control"

These are death penalty words...

citay said:
What's the big deal? This is a simple conflict of interest, between the ethical standards of a governing body, and a handsome young coach and his loyal assistants who were simply trying to garner a few wins for their school, while earning better contracts for their families. Nobody was killed. Nobody was hurt. No women were raped. So why does the Greeley paper have to publish this stuff? I hope the good people of Greeley cancel their subscriptions, until the paper starts covering the things that are important to Americans--celebrity gossip, high-profile divorce cases, serial killings, and terror attacks, whether fake or not. Reporting on ethical standards is a "slippery slope." Let the "free market" settle this.

In fact, I would suggest that the Media of this country, whether covering the Northern Colorado basketball program or the Trump Administration, adhere to the old Turkish proverb: If something smells, don't stick you nose in it.

I hope citay was just being sarcastic.

Yes, I believe he was.

ahh...I knew the Egriz chest thumpers (like Everettgriz) would jump on this news. Hill is a chump and he didn't play by the rules. The NCAA praised UNC for self-reporting, and our self-imposed punishments should be enough. UNC programs are fine. The football program has had 2 winning seasons back-to-back, we have good solid coaching staff for men's hoops that will turn things around. The women's hoops team is having a great season (as normal) and volleyball is always one of the top programs in the conference.

Stop thinking Montana is God's greatest gift to college athletics.

BigSkyBears said:
ahh...I knew the Egriz chest thumpers (like Everettgriz) would jump on this news. Hill is a chump and he didn't play by the rules. The NCAA praised UNC for self-reporting, and our self-imposed punishments should be enough. UNC programs are fine. The football program has had 2 winning seasons back-to-back, we have good solid coaching staff for men's hoops that will turn things around. The women's hoops team is having a great season (as normal) and volleyball is always one of the top programs in the conference.

LoL, you obviously do not pay attention to how the Mob (NCAA) doles out punishment. Who do you think you are, North Carolina?

GoldStandardGriz said:
BigSkyBears said:

LoL, you obviously do not pay attention to how the Mob (NCAA) doles out punishment. Who do you think you are, North Carolina?

I don't think UNC is North Carolina

BigSkyBears said:
GoldStandardGriz said:
BigSkyBears said:

I don't think UNC is North Carolina
Right, you're not. So you will not receive leniency from the NCAA, imo. You are closer to Hawaii in stature, with worse violations. The Rainbow Warriors lost 4 scholarships over 2 years & received a postseason ban. I would expect something similar for you. Unless, of course, you are the other UNC.

bgbigdog said:
Payton,

Kyle thinks this thread should move because it has more relevance to basketball. Plz move it before anyone else tries to justify it having an impact on the football team. Wasn't losing there last year enough?
Enough to last for decades. 4000 in attendance sitting 50 yards from the field, there mostly for the concessions beer. The continual smell of whaky tobacky in the air, better than the feed lots. We get seats on the 50 on the good side the night before the game for $20 adults, $15 kids. They probably made more money on the beer. In spite of their "exciting" late win, there was insufficient noise to disturb the neighbors. The fanbase of Fullerton's legacy, not so different in PSU and SacSt. So building on the thread's relevance to Griz and FCS football...

kyle_sample said:
Paytonlives said:
citay said:
kyle_sample said:

Very much so.

Again, how? If the violations are limited to the basketball program the football program will not be punished

Kyle.. Take a look. Compare what UM did to what NCU did and do you really think when the administration says "lack of institutional control" this will just be limited to one sport?"

These coaches paid players and took classes/did homework for them. And the administration did not know? Those are very serious charges. and as some have stated earlier, this isn't a big 6 school, so the NCAA likely throws the book at them.

You might be right... but I think the NCAA in all its wisdom, tries to make an example of these guys.

Regardless, we will see in fall how it all plays out. If they get a slap on the wrist, it again will show what a bafoon Engstrom was.

Back