• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"NCAA faces calls to ban trans athletes from competing in women's sports after NAIA's decision"

So people are cool with making people whom decide to transition feel the same way as the females do currently. If people were making the decision based solely on athletics, I get it, but I don't believe that to be the case. I think it would make sense to help them, just as people are bending over backwards to help the females, find a home for fair competition.

So people are cool with making people whom decide to transition feel the same way as the females do currently. If people were making the decision based solely on athletics, I get it, but I don't believe that to be the case. I think it would make sense to help them, just as people are bending over backwards to help the females, find a home for fair competition.
What does that look like though? I think it's pretty easy to say but very difficult to come up with a workable solution.

Just to be clear, you're talking about a solution to a problem in the US representing a group that (at present) could hardly fill up one section of gym bleachers in the Sentinel gymnasium.
That's kind of my point. Currently the demands of that tiny group are disenfranchising a large group.

Where do you stop? I feel I should have been a D1 college athlete as well, all 5’6” 125 pounds of me when I graduated. Why couldn’t I be given a “home for fair competition?”

That's kind of my point. Currently the demands of that tiny group are disenfranchising a large group.
I guess I'm gonna need you to explain exactly how less than 100 trans athletes nationwide are "disenfranchising" millions of female athletes.

I guess I'm gonna need you to explain exactly how less than 100 trans athletes nationwide are "disenfranchising" millions of female athletes.
Who said millions? Are there even millions of female athletes? I said a large group - large in comparison to the number of trans athletes. And maybe disenfranchising was not the best word choice, but I stand by my opinion that it's not fair to let the desires of the few outweigh the rights of the many.

Who said millions? Are there even millions of female athletes? I said a large group - large in comparison to the number of trans athletes. And maybe disenfranchising was not the best word choice, but I stand by my opinion that it's not fair to let the desires of the few outweigh the rights of the many.
You sound like a 'Star Trek' movie, Mr. Spock

226,000 female ncaa athletes in 2021-22. About another 40,000 female athletes in NAIA, based on 83,000 NAIA athletes. So, now and in the next 15 years, that's about a million. Ha.

Yes, there are millions of female middle school, high school and college athletes. But as long as we're talking about the rights of those groups, does a high schooler's rights who doesn't want to compete against trans girls trump the rights of another high schooler that wants to be able to play on a sports team with her trans friend? I'm pretty sure both of those groups are much larger in comparison to the number of trans athletes.

But the trans athletes don't have a right to compete, it's just a desire?

Also, trans men have a right to compete with biological men because their hormone therapy works differently? Or should they be forced to compete with biological women, because that's what they are?

My main point in all of this is similar to what I think HHB was saying. If you drill down far enough, there seem to be a lot of contradictions and inconsistencies in the reasoning about banning trans women specifically that I don't think have much to do with sports fairness. This is how you get people legitimately arguing that trans women have a "biological advantage" over cis women in things like chess, darts, and billiards.

I actually do think that there are instances in specific sports where late transitioning male to female trans women do have a significant advantage and shouldn't be allowed to compete until and unless certain criteria are met, but I don't agree with a blanket ban on all trans athletes.

Yes, there are millions of female middle school, high school and college athletes. But as long as we're talking about the rights of those groups, does a high schooler's rights who doesn't want to compete against trans girls trump the rights of another high schooler that wants to be able to play on a sports team with her trans friend? I'm pretty sure both of those groups are much larger in comparison to the number of trans athletes.

But the trans athletes don't have a right to compete, it's just a desire?

Also, trans men have a right to compete with biological men because their hormone therapy works differently? Or should they be forced to compete with biological women, because that's what they are?

My main point in all of this is similar to what I think HHB was saying. If you drill down far enough, there seem to be a lot of contradictions and inconsistencies in the reasoning about banning trans women specifically that I don't think have much to do with sports fairness. This is how you get people legitimately arguing that trans women have a "biological advantage" over cis women in things like chess, darts, and billiards.

I actually do think that there are instances in specific sports where late transitioning male to female trans women do have a significant advantage and shouldn't be allowed to compete until and unless certain criteria are met, but I don't agree with a blanket ban on all trans athletes.
You're making this more complicated than it is. The difference is testosterone. If a trans woman went through male puberty, then she has an increase in stature, limb length, bone density, and musculature that biological women do not. Likewise, if a trans man has been juicing on testosterone for years, he has an advantage over biological women as well.

Count me in the "trans women should not compete against biological women" group. There's plenty of examples to point out how ludicrous it is. Trans men are, certainly, a harder case, but I lean towards let them compete against biological men. Because again, it's the testosterone that is the difference.

You're making this more complicated than it is. The difference is testosterone. If a trans woman went through male puberty, then she has an increase in stature, limb length, bone density, and musculature that biological women do not. Likewise, if a trans man has been juicing on testosterone for years, he has an advantage over biological women as well.

Count me in the "trans women should not compete against biological women" group. There's plenty of examples to point out how ludicrous it is. Trans men are, certainly, a harder case, but I lean towards let them compete against biological men. Because again, it's the testosterone that is the difference.
Pretty sure uofmman didn't say this. He said that a blanket rule isn't the best solution.

Are you stereotyping?
if stereotyping is pointing out that just because someone thinks they should be allowed to do something doesn’t mean we get to shit on another group of people so it’s “fair,” then yes. You can support trans people without shitting on women’s sports for inclusivity.

if stereotyping is pointing out that just because someone thinks they should be allowed to do something doesn’t mean we get to shit on another group of people so it’s “fair,” then yes. You can support trans people without shitting on women’s sports for inclusivity.
Yep, because that is what I said.

Nothing I said contradicts what you're saying, I even stated that in such examples, there must be strict conditions met, and if the person doesn't meet them, they shouldn't be allowed to compete. I'd even go as far as to say that trans women who transitioned late should never be allowed to compete in certain sports (like maybe weightlifting).

But this is an interesting point because in my experience a lot of the people who say trans women who went through male puberty shouldn't be allowed to compete, thus implying that trans women who didn't go through male puberty should be allowed to compete, tend to also have the opinion that minors under the age of 18 should be barred from undergoing any form of transition, including hormones and puberty blockers.

Nothing I said contradicts what you're saying, I even stated that in such examples, there must be strict conditions met, and if the person doesn't meet them, they shouldn't be allowed to compete. I'd even go as far as to say that trans women who transitioned late should never be allowed to compete in certain sports (like maybe weightlifting).

But this is an interesting point because in my experience a lot of the people who say trans women who went through male puberty shouldn't be allowed to compete, thus implying that trans women who didn't go through male puberty should be allowed to compete, tend to also have the opinion that minors under the age of 18 should be barred from undergoing any form of transition, including hormones and puberty blockers.
I think maybe we're not all as far apart as it may seem. In regard to your previous post about chess and billiards, that's just crazy. I don't understand why people would even really consider those things "athletics" but whatever. People nitpicking about trans in those areas are just dumb. At the same time, as you say, there are areas where It's absolutely dangerous and ridiculous that a biological female would be forced to compete against a trans person. Just look up the case of the MMA fighter who cracked two women's skulls. Terrible. But beyond that there's the whole fairness problem such as we saw with the case of Lia Thomas, and others.

Your last paragraph above shows exactly why this whole area is so incredibly difficult. Hormones are very powerful. So powerful that they affect our brains - longstanding research has shown that the overwhelming majority of children who identify as trans will desist after puberty. Why? Hormones. Just going through puberty will change people's minds, literally. So there's a scientific argument to just let them be and they will grow out of it. There's also the consent dilemma - We have always considered children as unable to consent to anything until they reach a certain age. We are now seeing de-transitioners who are suing their doctors because they say they were unable to fully consent. They certainly could sue their parents as well. It's a mess. At what point is it morally acceptable to allow these kinds of life-changing procedures to be performed on someone who is unable to consent? There are scary parallels to lobotomies and forced sterilizations on certain demographics back in the day.

Getting back to your point on people who don't want people who experienced male puberty to compete against females, and also not wanting these procedures performed on children, I see your point. But there's no easy solution here. Which is why I keep saying that at some point I think there may have to be a third category. The problem is that there are so few people who would compete in that category, which is why it kind of goes back to testosterone as being the delineating factor between the male category and the female category. Sometimes you just have to draw the line somewhere, and it has to be in the most reasonable place.

I think maybe we're not all as far apart as it may seem. In regard to your previous post about chess and billiards, that's just crazy. I don't understand why people would even really consider those things "athletics" but whatever. People nitpicking about trans in those areas are just dumb. At the same time, as you say, there are areas where It's absolutely dangerous and ridiculous that a biological female would be forced to compete against a trans person. Just look up the case of the MMA fighter who cracked two women's skulls. Terrible. But beyond that there's the whole fairness problem such as we saw with the case of Lia Thomas, and others.

Your last paragraph above shows exactly why this whole area is so incredibly difficult. Hormones are very powerful. So powerful that they affect our brains - longstanding research has shown that the overwhelming majority of children who identify as trans will desist after puberty. Why? Hormones. Just going through puberty will change people's minds, literally. So there's a scientific argument to just let them be and they will grow out of it. There's also the consent dilemma - We have always considered children as unable to consent to anything until they reach a certain age. We are now seeing de-transitioners who are suing their doctors because they say they were unable to fully consent. They certainly could sue their parents as well. It's a mess. At what point is it morally acceptable to allow these kinds of life-changing procedures to be performed on someone who is unable to consent? There are scary parallels to lobotomies and forced sterilizations on certain demographics back in the day.

Getting back to your point on people who don't want people who experienced male puberty to compete against females, and also not wanting these procedures performed on children, I see your point. But there's no easy solution here. Which is why I keep saying that at some point I think there may have to be a third category. The problem is that there are so few people who would compete in that category, which is why it kind of goes back to testosterone as being the delineating factor between the male category and the female category. Sometimes you just have to draw the line somewhere, and it has to be in the most reasonable place.
Yeah, I think we're not as far apart on this as it seems.

However, and last thing I'll say on this, but I contest your assertions about detransitioners. It's true there are some people that have regretted transitioning and have wished to detransition, and those people definitely deserve to be heard and sympathized with, but those numbers are incredibly small, boosted by an apparatus that wants to make it seem like there are scores of trans people who regret it because they don't believe trans people are legitimate.

Children under 18 are not undergoing "life-changing procedures" unless said procedures are medically necessary, and there is a massive amount of barriers to any trans person looking to get healthcare in order to transition all over the country (most trans people need medical evaluations that take 12-18 months before they can be allowed to do any body modification surgery, regardless of their age). Children under 18 start with simple environment changes (using different names and pronouns, and dressing in the gender they identify as), then move on to puberty blockers (which are 100% reversible) and hormone replacement therapy (which I believe are 100% reversible) before they're allowed to consider sex reassignment surgery. There may be a few instances where this is not the case, but it is true for 99+% of trans children in the US.

But have you considered that forcing a trans child to go through puberty (which is not reversible) might be the opposite side of the same coin your arguing against here? If they start taking puberty blockers and HRT, and decide they are not trans, they can always reverse that decision, but being forced to "transition" into the gender/sex they do not identify as against their wishes seems just as traumatizing, to me.

In full transparency, I have several trans family members and a lot of trans friends, all of whom have transitioned later in life, and who all say they knew they were different at a younger age and wish they had been able to transition earlier. Every single one of them has experienced a much higher quality of life after transitioning.

If you want to continue to talk about this, I'd be happy to go deeper in DMs!

Back