• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"NCAA faces calls to ban trans athletes from competing in women's sports after NAIA's decision"

From a scientific perspective, and not politics, there have been varying degrees of true masculinity or to be feminine. That has and is a scientifically supported for as long we have been diving into genetics going back into the 1950's. Politics, society and culture? Not so much.

I don't think it is as easy to say... if your prescribed gender at birth is x....then you play with x. I understand for certain political types, and people like JK Rowling, that is very simple political discussion and solution. I work in high schools, coach, and have LGBTQ family members. I've seen first hand the impacts of a world that simply wants to pigeon hole our children into very neat boxes, when our children very commonly don't fit neatly into boxes our world designs. Generally we have very, very negative outcomes for those children. Whether they are transgender, gay, autistic, of different race or creed, not neuro-typical or whatever a person my ascribe to be. Those kids know they are different, and not being allowed to very political reasons to be the best version of themselves and that is disheartening.

There is merit to a conversation about playing fields look like, but the principle operating question is whether it is a conversation about our collective paranoias and fear or what is best for our individual children. My daughter isn't going to be challenging for a spot at the Womens Amateur at Augusta, and isn't likely going to be in a space to lose a spot at a college scholarship.

I do submit if our high school and youth environments were vastly less high-anxiety/competition based and focused on developing a healthy relationship with sport, we wouldn't give as much of a shit whether fields were full of transgender kids or not. That isn't to say that sport shouldn't have higher competition levels, we shold. At the same point we are exiting out a lot kids because it isn't a safe or enjoyable space regardless of gender to explore the great benefit that individual and team sports have to offer. The outcome is that fewer and few kids play and we have fewer kids reach the zenith or apex of the sport, because they simply don't want to be there. My boy was a decent baseball player, but mal-adjusted parents and their spawn ruined baseball that he didn't want to play anymore as an 12 year-old. My general belief, as a 20+ year coach in football, basketball and baseball at the high school level we are doing a pretty good job as a society of make youth and highschool sports as unenjoyable as humanly imagineable. I could give a shit to be honest what the make up of my teams look like.

Maybe the NCAA needs to address potential loopholes to eliminate bad actors, but I still don't think the threat is as existential as many think it is. There is so much more that we don't know, and I think it is unfairly limiting to simply make declarations that fit a political perspective but not one that fits the reality of our world. That is of course my opinion formulated through my lens of experience.

Children under 18 are not undergoing "life-changing procedures" unless said procedures are medically necessary

I know for a fact a 17 year old just underwent a surgery here in Missoula in the last month. I believe it was top surgery FtM but not sure. I'm 100% certain they were not 18 though. I'm actually shocked it hasn't been on the news yet. a lot of the care staff was threatening to walk out over it. HIPAA was probably the only thing saving this from becoming a bigger story but it was not exactly a secret in the medical circles here.

I know for a fact a 17 year old just underwent a surgery here in Missoula in the last month. I believe it was top surgery FtM but not sure. I'm 100% certain they were not 18 though. I'm actually shocked it hasn't been on the news yet. a lot of the care staff was threatening to walk out over it. HIPAA was probably the only thing saving this from becoming a bigger story but it was not exactly a secret in the medical circles here.
There may be a few instances where this is not the case, but it is true for 99+% of trans children in the US.
I'll also add that, personally, I don't think it's terrible for a 17 year-old trans person to undergo gender affirming surgery, it's just that it doesn't happen very often at all.

While some may support a ban for other reasons, like political or religious or whatever, the main reason for the ban is sports fairness (and injury issues in some sports), in my view. But for sports fairness/injury, I doubt that this would be a big issue. For example, who on a board like this, would even know that transgenders were competing, but for the discrepancy in physical talent and strength?

Would be relevant if this wasn't written in such a misleading way that it's pretty much completely false. You can look at the results - she finished 2nd, a full second behind the winner and only 0.22s ahead of 3rd. The so-called "record" was a personal best. It's like saying the Griz were DOMINATED by NDSU in the semifinal.

Not trying to shoot the messenger here, just want to make sure we have the facts. This stuff is always wildly exaggerated to push an agenda.

Would be relevant if this wasn't written in such a misleading way that it's pretty much completely false. You can look at the results - she finished 2nd, a full second behind the winner and only 0.22s ahead of 3rd. The so-called "record" was a personal best. It's like saying the Griz were DOMINATED by NDSU in the semifinal.

Not trying to shoot the messenger here, just want to make sure we have the facts. This stuff is always wildly exaggerated to push an agenda.
It truly is wild when you read headlines v. the story. You can see a headline like "[State] Governor Downplays the Importance of Fathers in the Household" and think WTF? So, you click, and then the article is about how the governor said she grew up in a single-parent household and thanks her mother for her success.

It truly is wild when you read headlines v. the story. You can see a headline like "[State] Governor Downplays the Importance of Fathers in the Household" and think WTF? So, you click, and then the article is about how the governor said she grew up in a single-parent household and thanks her mother for her success.
2d behind the best runner and the state, and the 5th best time in the state this year, is pretty good. How about all the girls behind? How about the girl at state who won't place because of this? I wonder what the school record is. Is the new runner the new record holder?

2d behind the best runner and the state, and the 5th best time in the state this year, is pretty good. How about all the girls behind? How about the girl at state who won't place because of this? I wonder what the school record is. Is the new runner the new record holder?
Totally. I've made my opinion clear on the trans issue. I was making a general statement on headlines v. articles.

The NCAA should do this NOW!

I've coached both at the high school level and its not even close.

The male body is simply different than the female body and no matter what you cut, slice or inject they will have an advantage. That advantage takes records, scollies and prestige away from female athletes.

I would love to see in a race where the female athletes stand up at the gun and let the fake female run by themselves.

"Court sides with West Virginia transgender teen who was banned from playing school sports
A federal appeals court on Tuesday ruled that a transgender middle-school girl in West Virginia can compete in her school's girls' track and cross-country teams, blocking enforcement of a state law against her."

Reuters: https://apple.news/Aw1rNs2avQ9yKp4ug5WDqeg

I would love to see in a race where the female athletes stand up at the gun and let the fake female run by themselves.

Cool, so the trans athlete gets 1st place and the others get a DNF, including the one who would've won the race otherwise. Not seeing how this is an improvement to the sport unless the only goal here is to publicly ostracize someone.

Last edited:
Back