• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA Rule Changes

Da Boyz Mom

DONOR
Helmet communication is only approved for FBS right now, but you would think it would come to the FCS before too long.

"The NCAA has approved a set of rule changes that will make college football similar to the professional game, namely adding a two-minute warning and adopting helmet communications for the FBS level. The NCAA announced the changes were adopted after a vote on Thursday."

So what happens when an FCS team plays a FBS team... Only one gets to use the in-helmet communication? Both can use? Neither?
Great question. I have looked up several other articles on the rule change and it's not clarified. I found this line in an article at the Athletic, "Teams don’t need to agree on using this communication in a game. Any FBS team can use it, even if their opponent is not."

It seems to me that this offers a distinct advantage for FBS teams and FCS teams are going to have to lobby to be able to use the same technology. It probably isn't a fast solution though. Kind of like how the FBS was using replay way before the FCS was.

So what happens when an FCS team plays a FBS team... Only one gets to use the in-helmet communication? Both can use? Neither?
My guess is no body outside the FCS cares about us so only the FBS team would get to use it. Being facetious of course. The real answer is since the game will likely be at an FBS venue, the FCS team can use it if they have the ability.

Back