• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Mexico State to the BSC?

If the Big Sky or a new league could somehow get a FBS waiver....perhaps we could see something along the line of this...

Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Idaho
Eastern Washington
New Mexico State
Northern Arizona

Also in play...
Portland State (metro area)
Sacramento State (metro area)
Cal-Davis (metro area & academics)
Cal Poly (academics & new rivalry)
Weber State (need their basketball team)

Do I believe that would happen? No...but it makes the most sense because its true peer schools - in athletics AND academics. It retains new and traditional rivals. And it would be a true entry level FBS conference along the lines of the Sun Belt - which in my opinion it would be stronger than.

ordigger said:
EverettGriz said:
ordigger said:
Shoichi said:
Under current NCAA rules that is not possible. Back before the WAC imploded the NCAA tried to help the WAC by making it so only existing FBS conferences can invite FCS schools to reclassify them as FBS schools to prevent massive move ups. Unfortunate that rule didn't help and as a result the WAC is no more. Also the "grey period" was a 2 year window from the last WAC sponsored game which would have been at latest 2013 season...

True...under current NCAA rules....but a waiver is always possible. If the NCAA thinks it best then odds are it happens. No way Montana EVER gets invited to the MWC, despite what some people wish to believe. There are to many other options should the MWC ever expand. There has to be a "stepping stone" in the west. Currently there is not.

Name even one program who makes more sense to the MWC than does Montana.

Thats easy - UTEP....and Montana is no better than Idaho who was already FBS. Here's a 2nd...Rice. Wichita State also inquired a couple years ago. And don't forget BYU....who is always an option but probably more likely to go Big 12 when they are raided in a few years.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few things going for it that Montana has that Idaho doesn't. Montana has a stadium, more season ticket holders, and higher attendance than Idaho. Also, an airport that opposing teams and fans can fly in and out of, an interstate that links it to the rest of the country.

EverettGriz said:
ordigger said:
Shoichi said:
AZGrizFan said:
Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)
Under current NCAA rules that is not possible. Back before the WAC imploded the NCAA tried to help the WAC by making it so only existing FBS conferences can invite FCS schools to reclassify them as FBS schools to prevent massive move ups. Unfortunate that rule didn't help and as a result the WAC is no more. Also the "grey period" was a 2 year window from the last WAC sponsored game which would have been at latest 2013 season...

True...under current NCAA rules....but a waiver is always possible. If the NCAA thinks it best then odds are it happens. No way Montana EVER gets invited to the MWC, despite what some people wish to believe. There are to many other options should the MWC ever expand. There has to be a "stepping stone" in the west. Currently there is not.

NDSU.....

Why would UTEP or Rice leave Conference USA? And even assuming they would, what advantages do they have over Montana? They wouldn't be a geographic fit, and neither has natural rivalries already established with MWC schools like UM does. Montana also draws considerably better, and as an FBS team, as I noted with Idaho above, would be the top dog in the state. Rice is like the 11th dog in Texas.

Wichita State is NOT going to join the MWC. And I have to think you're either joking or REALLY stretching to support your position by suggesting BYU.

NDSU has the same issues as Rice and UTEP. Geographically very undesirable and no rivalries. Besides, they're not interested in joining the MWC when there are likely better opportunities coming soon right in their own backyard.

EverettGriz said:
Why would UTEP or Rice leave Conference USA? And even assuming they would, what advantages do they have over Montana? They wouldn't be a geographic fit, and neither has natural rivalries already established with MWC schools like UM does. Montana also draws considerably better, and as an FBS team, as I noted with Idaho above, would be the top dog in the state. Rice is like the 11th dog in Texas.

Wichita State is NOT going to join the MWC. And I have to think you're either joking or REALLY stretching to support your position by suggesting BYU.

NDSU has the same issues as Rice and UTEP. Geographically very undesirable and no rivalries. Besides, they're not interested in joining the MWC when there are likely better opportunities coming soon right in their own backyard.

Have you looked at Conference USA lately.......MWC>>>>>>Conf. USA....

And what better opportunities are coming soon for NDSU that would be better than the MWC....

From a football only standpoint, I would agree the MWC is probably a bit better than Conf USA. But it's no contest when you consider basketball and the other sports, particularly baseball. Rice has one of the best baseball programs in the nation. They're not giving that up to move to the MWC.

NDSU would seriously consider a MWC invite, but I don't think they'd get one due to geography. And FWIW, I think they're thinking bigger and better, believing there's still additional change coming on the conference landscape.

EverettGriz said:

You really need to do a little research before posting. CBS News is who reported that Wichita State had an interest not I. It has also been reported by a variety of news organizations that BYU is of interest to the MWC.

As for UTEP...you are kidding right. That are very geographically a fit...and already have the built in rivalries. You do realize they were part of the WAC, of which the MWC is mostly composed of before bolting to Conference USA. MWC is now a much better conference then C-USA. UNM would love for UTEP to join them. Rice is also been mentioned as the most likely partner to join UTEP in the MWC.

And why would the MWC want Montana over any Texas school? Seems to me, there would be a much better recruiting advantage accepting Texas schools. If they got UTEP and Rice, and needed another....even Texas-SA would make sense.

EverettGriz said:
From a football only standpoint, I would agree the MWC is probably a bit better than Conf USA. But it's no contest when you consider basketball and the other sports, particularly baseball. Rice has one of the best baseball programs in the nation. They're not giving that up to move to the MWC.

NDSU would seriously consider a MWC invite, but I don't think they'd get one due to geography. And FWIW, I think they're thinking bigger and better, believing there's still additional change coming on the conference landscape.

Conference USA ain't all that in basketball either....and I agree that I don't see Rice as an option....but UTEP is a very viable option for the MWC......

NavyBlue said:
ordigger said:
EverettGriz said:
ordigger said:

Thats easy - UTEP....and Montana is no better than Idaho who was already FBS. Here's a 2nd...Rice. Wichita State also inquired a couple years ago. And don't forget BYU....who is always an option but probably more likely to go Big 12 when they are raided in a few years.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few things going for it that Montana has that Idaho doesn't. Montana has a stadium, more season ticket holders, and higher attendance than Idaho. Also, an airport that opposing teams and fans can fly in and out of, an interstate that links it to the rest of the country.

To often eGriz posters get caught up in only the football side of things....or athletics. If you look at the entire scope...including academics Idaho is very much our peer school. I don't obviously disagree on the stadium, but its a much bigger than just that. Politically there is no way Montana goes and Montana State doesn't. The two schools are considered at the same level now, again despite what some eGriz poster hope for.

Cheaper by far to fly into Spokane then Missoula, the drive down isn't that far...same goes for the Interstate. And weather is slightly better on that side. I lived in Liberty Lake for a number of years.

ordigger said:
EverettGriz said:

You really need to do a little research before posting. CBS News is who reported that Wichita State had an interest not I. It has also been reported by a variety of news organizations that BYU is of interest to the MWC.

As for UTEP...you are kidding right. That are very geographically a fit...and already have the built in rivalries. You do realize they were part of the WAC, of which the MWC is mostly composed of before bolting to Conference USA. MWC is now a much better conference then C-USA. UNM would love for UTEP to join them. Rice is also been mentioned as the most likely partner to join UTEP in the MWC.

And why would the MWC want Montana over any Texas school? Seems to me, there would be a much better recruiting advantage accepting Texas schools. If they got UTEP and Rice, and needed another....even Texas-SA would make sense.

Regarding the Shockers, why would the MWC add a non-football school in a geographic area far removed from its base?

And OF COURSE BYU is of interest to the MWC. I'm sure Ohio State would be as well. Doesn't mean it's a two-way street.

Yes, having a team in Texas is great for recruiting, but please explain how Texas is in the MWC footprint, and please explain what rivalries UTEP has with any current MWC member.

Actually.....the Wichita State to the MWC talk was part of their process in deciding whether to start the football program back up....it was never a non-football related issue....

EverettGriz said:
ordigger said:
EverettGriz said:

Regarding the Shockers, why would the MWC add a non-football school in a geographic area far removed from its base?

And OF COURSE BYU is of interest to the MWC. I'm sure Ohio State would be as well. Doesn't mean it's a two-way street.

Yes, having a team in Texas is great for recruiting, but please explain how Texas is in the MWC footprint, and please explain what rivalries UTEP has with any current MWC member.

Because Wichita State was exploring the possibility of adding football. El Paso is currently closer to another MWC school than Missoula is to one.

UTEP joined the WAC in 1967 and left in 2005. At that time Wyoming and New Mexico were already members.

Colorado State: 1967
San Diego State: 1978
Hawaii: 1979
Air Force: 1980
Fresno State: 1992
UNLV: 1996
SJSU: 1996
Nevada: 2000

That's TEN schools they have previous rivalries with. Whether you accept it or not...UTEP will be the first option that MWC will look at. And Montana is probably not in the top 10.

Because Wichita State was exploring the possibility of adding football

I understand that. But I'm curious and since I've asked repeatedly and never received an answer, I'll give it another shot: that gives them what advantage over Montana's existing and highly successful (and profitable) program again?

Oh, and I agree that the MWC will absolutely look at and strongly consider UTEP. They'd be crazy not to. And you may even be correct; they may even be considered ahead of Montana. But if you honestly believe UM isn't even in the top ten choices, then our conversation is complete, because you clearly don't know WTF you're talking about and we're all just wasting our time.

EverettGriz said:
Because Wichita State was exploring the possibility of adding football

I understand that. But I'm curious and since I've asked repeatedly and never received an answer, I'll give it another shot: that gives them what advantage over Montana's existing and highly successful (and profitable) program again?

Oh, and I agree that the MWC will absolutely look at and strongly consider UTEP. They'd be crazy not to. And you may even be correct; they may even be considered ahead of Montana. But if you honestly believe UM isn't even in the top ten choices, then our conversation is complete, because you clearly don't know WTF you're talking about and we're all just wasting our time.

I said probably...but it doesnt matter Montana is not joining the MWC in your or my lifetime unless the top 4-5 conferences become 16-20 team conferences.

Then it's odd that they'd be having conversations now....

And can I presume you're tapping out on the advantages the Shockers have?

EverettGriz said:
Then it's odd that they'd be having conversations now....

And can I presume you're tapping out on the advantages the Shockers have?

Can you not read today? What did I say about the Shockers? I said CBS News reported it not me. And there are no conversations now. I can guarantee that...and that's all I will say. I dont play that name dropping game.

Back