• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NEW VERBAL: Josh Vazquez

A shout out here to Michael Oguine. Not only is he a fabulous player and good student, but he's also been a great ambassador for Montana basketball. You'll note from the interview here with Vazquez, and the comments earlier by Eddy Egun, that Oguine played an important role in each recruitment.

Remember too, our coaching staff is not directly connected to that great Southern California recruiting territory. Cobb and Flores are more Bay Area guys, while Wortham and DeCuire have closer ties to the Seattle area. All the more important to have an Oguine to help with recruiting. When we look back on the DeCuire era at Montana, we should all count it a blessing that Oguine was DeCuire's first major recruit, and give special thanks to Kevin Stallings, then the head coach at Vanderbilt, who didn't think Oguine was a D-1 player.

citay said:
A shout out here to Michael Oguine. Not only is he a fabulous player and good student, but he's also been a great ambassador for Montana basketball. You'll note from the interview here with Vazquez, and the comments earlier by Eddy Egun, that Oguine played an important role in each recruitment.

Remember too, our coaching staff is not directly connected to that great Southern California recruiting territory. Cobb and Flores are more Bay Area guys, while Wortham and DeCuire have closer ties to the Seattle area. All the more important to have an Oguine to help with recruiting. When we look back on the DeCuire era at Montana, we should all count it a blessing that Oguine was DeCuire's first major recruit, and give special thanks to Kevin Stallings, then the head coach at Vanderbilt, who didn't think Oguine was a D-1 player.
Well said... Although Montana is D1

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

citay said:

Kareem Jamar was from Venice, very much a part of SoCal.

GrizLA said:
citay said:

Kareem Jamar was from Venice, very much a part of SoCal.

True. But not a DeCuire recruit.

casewinter13 said:
citay said:

Yes, we know...the coach at Vandy at the time told him he wasn't D-1 material. Here's to big, big things this year in basketball! :thumb:

AZDoc said:
casewinter13 said:
citay said:

Yes, we know...the coach at Vandy at the time told him he wasn't D-1 material. Here's to big, big things this year in basketball! :thumb:
I'm aware of what Vandy coach had said, but having never heard a direct quote, gonna go way out on a limb and assume he wasn't calling Mike a D2 talent. Only that Mike was too short to be a high major guard.

casewinter13 said:
AZDoc said:
casewinter13 said:
citay said:

I'm aware of what Vandy coach had said, but having never heard a direct quote, gonna go way out on a limb and assume he wasn't calling Mike a D2 talent. Only that Mike was too short to be a high major guard.

It shows why, Stallings has been nothing more than an average journeman Div 1 coach. He must be terrifc with analysis and interviews, being he has managed to land some good jobs. Problem is, he has not delivered consistently. DeCuire will accomplish more as Div 1 coach than Stallings has.

mtgrizrule said:
casewinter13 said:
AZDoc said:
casewinter13 said:

It shows why, Stallings has been nothing more than an average journeman Div 1 coach. He must be terrifc with analysis and interviews, being he has managed to land some good jobs. Problem is, he has not delivered consistently. DeCuire will accomplish more as Div 1 coach than Stallings has.
Can't argue with much of that haha

casewinter13 said:
AZDoc said:
casewinter13 said:
citay said:

:agree: understood

Travis specifically brought up Vasquez in our meeting. He was ecstatic about getting him. I don’t remember exactly what he said, besides Montana is getting one of the better players we’ve seen here.

Back