• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next up 2/11 vs. S. Utah

Potomac Griz said:
Grizguyjj said:
Paytonlives said:
Champions don't have let downs vs 4-17 teams
Especially when two of the birds top scorers are suspended.

Ouch... Kennedy is suspended indefinitely due to a citation for possessing a plant (marijuana) :roll: Langston suspended for two games for violation of team rules for something related to Kennedy's suspension. Another player is suspended from team activities for 2 weeks for the same thing I guess, but he isn't playing yet since he transferred & has to sit out the year.

As if SUU's season wasn't going bad enough already.

Botany major not allowed at SUU?

Boehning suited up; not getting any time. DeJong in and out briefly. Dunn "back for good" at the beginning of the game, not much, that arm length bandage still on, Mick reports heavily taped at the wrist.

Martin Breunig, man among boys. 20 pts, 7 rebs, 4 blocks, 3 assists, 1 steal.

In just 29 minutes, I might add. And efficient scoring: 70 percent on field goals.

Thankfully, no work tonight and just got home from the game. The GRIZ played exceptional on both sides of the ball. They moved the ball terrific, shot lights out, and ran any and every thing they wanted to run. Defensively, they made it very difficult for SUU to get open shots and most their shots were heavily challenged. Breunig could have gone for 40, he was unstoppable. GRIZ could have scored 100 had they tried to do so. SUU was absolutely horrible on both ends of the court.

They really need a coach that knows x's and o's. Seriously, they had a few players standing still a few too many possessions. Meanwhile the GRIZ always had everyone moving. I loved the GRIZ got a huge lead and never let SUU close the gap. The GRIZ finally played a game with pedal to the metal, and did not give into SUU, even with their big lead. It was great to see DeJong with developmental minutes. That kid is incredibly versatile defensively with great footwork for someone his size. Speaking of size, I paid very close attention to how he played post defense and established position on both ends of the court. He has improved his base and is much tougher to beat on the blocks now. I honestly feel he can develop into a combination of Strait and Ward the next few years, but is more athletic. I really like how he is progressing.

I was disappointed and surprised Boehning did not play. I think he might be injured or DeCuire is giving him some tough love for something we will never hear of. Either way, this game was a perfect opportunity to get him some developmental minutes and it did not happen.

Oguine never seizes to amaze me and rapidly becoming one of my favorite GRIZ. Every game he has at least 1 OMG moments or plays. Tonight he had a few. One at the end of the 1st half when he went the length of the court in 4 seconds and forced a foul and got 2 FT's to end the half. He was so calm and aware of the time on the clock, it was amazing. Also another time he drove left to right and spun back left around the FT line to leave a few defenders reaching for air and creating an uncontested lay in for himself. Even though he missed what he created, it was an absolutely jaw dropping move. I guess that is what would be considered a million dollar move with a .10 cent finish.

Oguine was not the only freshman who played well. Moorehead, like Oguine, played calm and cool, and hit double digits without missing a shot. These young guys are getting better every game. Hard to believe we have 2 more talented young players joining them next season.

Maybe the best news of all, no GRIZ logged more than 30 minutes on the court. :) (Those who follow the basketball forum will get that). Great game GRIZ. Travis has to like the fact they came out strong and did not let up at all at any point of this game. #gogriz

fanofzoo said:
How would it feel if you had to guard MB, hopeless?
You know you are going to get scored on.

Funny you say that. You should have seen the grin and sigh of relief when Oliverson fouled out of the game. He did not complain, get mad, or anything you normally see when a player fouls out. You could tell he was well aware that we was just taken to school by Breunig. He just had fun with the moment. I absolutely loved seeing his reaction. He will be seeing Breunig in his sleep for many years. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
They really need a coach that knows x's and o's. Seriously, they had a few players standing still a few too many possessions. Meanwhile the GRIZ always had everyone moving. I loved the GRIZ got a huge lead and never let SUU close the gap.
Thanks for the good write up. SUU must be frustrated, having your good players wiped out by "plants." Griz got some good playing in tonight, no doubt. A very good practice game. I posted DeJong's minutes during the non-conference part of the season. Travis had no faith in him whatsoever. That changed with the ten point, slap block game. Travis is now using him to back-up Breunig. His confidence in his player has changed. His defensive footwork is very good. Riley came back in this game. He had some good, although brief, minutes.

The three pointers. Wow.

UMGriz75 said:
mtgrizrule said:
They really need a coach that knows x's and o's. Seriously, they had a few players standing still a few too many possessions. Meanwhile the GRIZ always had everyone moving. I loved the GRIZ got a huge lead and never let SUU close the gap.
Thanks for the good write up. SUU must be frustrated, having your good players wiped out by "plants." Griz got some good playing in tonight, no doubt. A very good practice game. I posted DeJong's minutes during the non-conference part of the season. Travis had no faith in him whatsoever. That changed with the ten point, slap block game. Travis is now using him to back-up Breunig. His confidence in his player has changed. His defensive footwork is very good. Riley came back in this game. He some good, although brief, minutes.

The three pointers. Wow.

I think Travis has always liked DeJong's work ethic and athleticism. I am guessing something finally clicked for DeJong in the last month. In my opinion, he looked much more comfortable and knows his responsibilities much better now. It is hard for a young player to "get it" when transitioning from HS to Div 1 ball. I hope we see consistent minutes for DeJong rest of the season. I am beginning to like him as well.

As fun as it is to watch, that game really didn't tell us anything aside from they beat the crap out of a JV team. Ass Kicking.

Back