• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nolan Askelson

HowardRoss280 said:
Nolan is a stud, and at the start of the 2017 season Drew was the second best player in the state, and by the end of the 2017 season, Nolan had made a very solid push for being number 2. In my eyes, he is the second best player in the state of MT. He did have a lot of range with that D-line not letting the big uglies reach the linebackers, but the kid is a natural linebacker, not a product of a stacked team.

I agree and wouldn’t be surprised because of his frame and potential if he ends doing better than Sulser in college. Easier to be an impact player at linebacker than a slot receiver. Quite honestly as far as a year go goes Askelson and Graves had a good argument for Gatorade player of the year with their results on both sides of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HowardRoss280 said:
Nolan is a stud, and at the start of the 2017 season Drew was the second best player in the state, and by the end of the 2017 season, Nolan had made a very solid push for being number 2. In my eyes, he is the second best player in the state of MT. He did have a lot of range with that D-line not letting the big uglies reach the linebackers, but the kid is a natural linebacker, not a product of a stacked team.

Watching him, I think he has the it factor. He’s a real good player. I like the turner kid, but I think this kid is a better player. I’m a nobody though, never watched a game in my life

VimSince03 said:
grizzfam said:
WaGriz4life said:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4483082/5a137b784bb2d509fc0f1561

Sulser is the best player in the state. This is the second Best player in the state. Going to be a problem wherever he ends up.

With all due respect, I really don’t see him as number 2. Turner is a rare power running back with break away speed. I’d like to see more Askelson highlights where he isn’t just lined up shooting gaps. Not sure he is even the best LB in the state. Graves from Eureka is really good, and so is that kid from Capital.

Here is just the first 11 plays of his senior highlight:

:10 - Blitzes as a MLB, beats the guard and fullback to sack Levi Janacaro (not the easiest task)

:18 - Blitzes as a MLB, gets stopped, re-routes to chase down QB rolling to his right for a sack

:28 - TFL, no blitz as he read run and found the ball

:37 - At MLB, stuffs the run for about a 2-yard gain but forces a fumble

:44 - At OLB, blitzes off edge and gets by left tackle and running back to sack Janacaro again (had a bad snap so obviously that helped)

:50 - At OLB, plays run, stands up the right tackle, sacks QB rolling out to the right

:58 - At MLB, drops back into coverage, reads Kaleb Winterburn and makes a pick

1:09 - At OLB, blitzes off edge and beats the left tackle to sack Janacaro for a 3rd time

1:16 - At MLB, blitzes, beats center and guard for a sack

1:23 - At MLB, reads run, beats the pulling guard for a tackle for a loss

1:33 - At LB in the nickel, plays coverage, picks off Winterburn for a second time

Do I need to go on? This is just the first 11 plays of a 9:30 senior highlight film. You can't just say he is a free blitzer every play. He is beating kids with good technique, strength, and athleticism. On the first play listed, he beat a guard and a running back on the same play for a sack. He isn't just "shooting gaps" every play as you said above. Nolan showed everything you want to see out of a linebacker recruit. Makes plays in the backfield, at the line of scrimmage, and in coverage.

Askelson is really good no doubt. Playing QB and LB is amazing. My point is that it will be interesting to see how good he is when he is not playing for that loaded senior D, and coming in unblocked every other play. All state and MVP kids get eaten for breakfast in college all the time. That stuff is usually a product of media hype, stats, and each coach's "guys". Really don't think anybody is worth "fearing" in the 2018 class. Time will tell.

Quite the take here. With that logic, I guess we will just see how good Gabe Sulser is when he isn't playing for that loaded Senior offense.

Thanks for reinforcing my point. If you merely count the blitzes in just your response, then you'll have to concede that he wasn't even lined up at linebacker depth half the time this season. Your list is great, but it is definitely based off what is written in the papers and not near as comprehensive as everybody perceives. That's why there is so many diamonds in the rough. There is much more than just stats and awards. There is a lot of top kids from teams that didn't do so well. I said he was amazing, but you folks aren't satisfied unless everybody completely agrees that he is the next all-american college linebacker before he even gets there. I don't think its fair to put that much pressure on the kid.

To grizzfam,

Thanks for reinforcing my point. If you merely count the blitzes in just your response, then you'll have to concede that he wasn't even lined up at linebacker depth half the time this season.

In just his senior highlight film alone, out of 71 defensive plays he was lined up at normal linebacker depth 52 times while blitzing from the line of scrimmage 19 times. So 75% of the time, he is at linebacker depth. Now despite those stats, when a blitz is called the job of a linebacker is to get in that backfield as fast and urgent as possible (unless its a delayed blitz). Nolan makes plays in the backfield better than anyone in this class. When he did blitz, he usually had to take on multiple blockers..and he won those battles more times than not.

Your list is great, but it is definitely based off what is written in the papers and not near as comprehensive as everybody perceives.

My list is definitely not perfect and its just a projection. I start my evaluation by watching film when these kids are juniors as they usually start to get noticed around there sophomore/junior seasons. After their junior year is over, I put out the 1st list (after signing day). My next list comes out after the juniors complete their school year so I can take wrestling and track numbers into account. The 2nd list is usually put out during the beginning of June/end of May. The 3rd list is before their senior seasons start. This list takes into account how the kids performed at camps they've attended. These camps are very important for "diamond in the rough" kids because it allows college coaches to see kids they regularly wouldn't. Former Griz TE Dan Beaudin came from Noxon, MT to one of Bobby's Griz camps and that is how he got noticed before his senior year. Finally, the last list comes out at the beginning of January. This means that each player from 6-Man to AA have received all accolades (all-state, all-conference, shrine game selections, all-star game selections, etc.) for the most part, their senior films are usually complete, and college offers are out there or have already been signed. So in response to your statement saying "the list is definitely based off what is written in the papers and not near as comprehensive as everybody perceives", I give all the kids who produced for their teams at every level a fair shake. If you would like to talk 6-Man players, feel free to ask. If you would like to know what 8-Man player is a potential "diamond in the rough", simply ask. For the most part, the NAIA schools do a good job of cleaning up the rest of the kids who want to play football but don't get a shot from the Cats or Griz. And a good portion of those kids make my lists throughout the year.

That's why there is so many diamonds in the rough. There is much more than just stats and awards.

I agree with both of these statements. My evaluations are heavily weighted on film and not just the player's highlight film. Its good to watch another kid go up against the player being evaluated which I call the "non-highlight" film. It will give you a good indication if the player being evaluated didn't just play good during his highlight film and not the rest.

There is a lot of top kids from teams that didn't do so well.

There are and they usually get the shaft from All-State and All-Conference selection committees. The better the team does, the more selections that team gets. Its a backwards way of doing it in my opinion.

I said he was amazing, but you folks aren't satisfied unless everybody completely agrees that he is the next all-american college linebacker before he even gets there. I don't think its fair to put that much pressure on the kid.

I never said he was going to be an all-american in college. I'm just putting it out there that if you take everything into consideration, Nolan showed that he was the top linebacker prospect in the state in 2017. There are also probably 50 other linebackers in the state who would love to prove that incorrect.

Just like Gabe, Drew, and Garrett, these kids are simply projected as the best players the state of Montana has to offer.

Again, feel free to ask about any position or player from the state of Montana in 2017. I will give you an honest answer.

grizzfam said:
VimSince03 said:
grizzfam said:
WaGriz4life said:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4483082/5a137b784bb2d509fc0f1561

Sulser is the best player in the state. This is the second Best player in the state. Going to be a problem wherever he ends up.

With all due respect, I really don’t see him as number 2. Turner is a rare power running back with break away speed. I’d like to see more Askelson highlights where he isn’t just lined up shooting gaps. Not sure he is even the best LB in the state. Graves from Eureka is really good, and so is that kid from Capital.

You guys are funny. Watch his junior tape if you want more sideline to sideline stuff. Also keep in mind he was the AA Defensive MVP while also being up for the Offensive MVP at QB. What he did in 2017 was rare for AA QB's.

Askelson is really good no doubt. Playing QB and LB is amazing. My point is that it will be interesting to see how good he is when he is not playing for that loaded senior D, and coming in unblocked every other play. All state and MVP kids get eaten for breakfast in college all the time. That stuff is usually a product of media hype, stats, and each coach's "guys". Really don't think anybody is worth "fearing" in the 2018 class. Time will tell.

Yes, time will tell but this guy looks big and athletic. He kinda looks like a “man among boys” on film. What’s his size? I didn’t see it listed. Did he get any FBS looks? Whether he is mostly blitzing or not, I can’t see how anyone can question this guys game film. A good looking prospect IMO....

CV Griz Fan said:
grizzfam said:
VimSince03 said:
grizzfam said:

You guys are funny. Watch his junior tape if you want more sideline to sideline stuff. Also keep in mind he was the AA Defensive MVP while also being up for the Offensive MVP at QB. What he did in 2017 was rare for AA QB's.

Yes, time will tell but this guy looks big and athletic. He kinda looks like a “man among boys” on film. What’s his size? I didn’t see it listed. Did he get any FBS looks? Whether he is mostly blitzing or not, I can’t see how anyone can question this guys game film. A good looking prospect IMO....
Askelson is the second straight Senior High defensive player I would have loved the Griz top sign (Keaton Anderson last year).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back