• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Northridge vs. Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Back from the game: Ahmaad Rorie had a monster of a game. Fifty-six percent shooting, 3-of-4 from beyond the arc, five rebounds and two assists against one turnover. His second highest scoring game as a Griz with 27. He looked exhausted over the final five minutes (played 39). Despite that, the player that made the difference in the game... and penetrated the key enough to get Rorie his shots, was Pridgett. DeCuire said post game that he decided to move Sayeed back to the four -- from the 2 -- where he played most of last season. He was overmatched significantly in height, but yanked 12 boards down, created havoc as a forward leading several fast breaks, and drove into the key at will against his larger defender for several pull-up jumpers and balanced, but acrobatic slant drives.Eight of 14 from the floor, 12 rebounds, four assists (kickouts to Rorie, mostly) two blocks & a steal against one turnover... 20 points on the night. Playing the four, he was a new high-post weapon for the Griz who, because of his quickness, very difficult to guard. Like the new look. If he plays that from hereon out, he'll probably take floor time away from Akoh and Krslovic. Moorehead continues to play monster D against taller opponents, but still cannot find the range on his treys; not close, going 0-5. Same with Oguine on outside shooting. But the Griz seem even stronger as a rebounding team with Pridgett in... combined with Oguine and Rorie, they accounted for 24 of Montana's 36 rebounds. Once again, Griz D forced turnovers (16 tonight) and with rebounding margin, had 8 more field goal attempts than CSUN. There seemed to be a bit of bad blood between Akoh and a couple of the CSUN players. Akoh played two seasons with Cal St. Fullerton (I think, off the top of my head). Finally, the Griz break 50% shooting from the field which, if they had shot that % against Stanford, or even come within 5%, they would have won going away. Eighty percent from the ft line.

But, perhaps the best sign for better things to come, was to see Donaven Dorsey, in Maroon warmups, hobbled & on two crutches... cheering from the end of the bench!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/937528742624206849[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/937547645542809600[/tweet]

From Kyle Sample on tonight's Griz game
Aggressive Montana races past Cal State Northridge — https://skylinesportsmt.com/aggressive-montana-races-past-cal-state-northridge/

grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Back from the game: Ahmaad Rorie had a monster of a game. Fifty-six percent shooting, 3-of-4 from beyond the arc, five rebounds and two assists against one turnover. His second highest scoring game as a Griz with 27. He looked exhausted over the final five minutes (played 39). Despite that, the player that made the difference in the game... and penetrated the key enough to get Rorie his shots, was Pridgett. DeCuire said post game that he decided to move Sayeed back to the four -- from the 2 -- where he played most of last season. He was overmatched significantly in height, but yanked 12 boards down, created havoc as a forward leading several fast breaks, and drove into the key at will against his larger defender for several pull-up jumpers and balanced, but acrobatic slant drives.Eight of 14 from the floor, 12 rebounds, four assists (kickouts to Rorie, mostly) two blocks & a steal against one turnover... 20 points on the night. Playing the four, he was a new high-post weapon for the Griz who, because of his quickness, very difficult to guard. Like the new look. If he plays that from hereon out, he'll probably take floor time away from Akoh and Krslovic. Moorehead continues to play monster D against taller opponents, but still cannot find the range on his treys; not close, going 0-5. Same with Oguine on outside shooting. But the Griz seem even stronger as a rebounding team with Pridgett in... combined with Oguine and Rorie, they accounted for 24 of Montana's 36 rebounds. Once again, Griz D forced turnovers (16 tonight) and with rebounding margin, had 8 more field goal attempts than CSUN. There seemed to be a bit of bad blood between Akoh and a couple of the CSUN players. Akoh played two seasons with Cal St. Fullerton (I think, off the top of my head). Finally, the Griz break 50% shooting from the field which, if they had shot that % against Stanford, or even come within 5%, they would have won going away. Eighty percent from the ft line.

But, perhaps the best sign for better things to come, was to see Donaven Dorsey, in Maroon warmups, hobbled & on two crutches... cheering from the end of the bench!

Also wanted to add a hint of things to come... JC transfer Niko Bevens (soph) got 3 minutes of game action tonight. There is obviously some reason (defense?) he's not playing more. But tonight he showed the kind of shooter he is. [tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/937512930295160832[/tweet]

grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Also wanted to add a hint of things to come... JC transfer Niko Bevens (soph) got 3 minutes of game action tonight. There is obviously some reason (defense?) he's not playing more. But tonight he showed the kind of shooter he is. [tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/937512930295160832[/tweet]

Has to be Done, right? Glad he finally hit one, that's what he was brought in for. I recall him having a pretty bad turnover tonight, too. I hope he figures it out so he can get more minutes and help open the lane.

A few more thoughts. Akoh hit 2 outside jumpers where he was wide open. Maybe 12 and 14 or so, or even a bit longer. Pridgett hit some shots at 16 or 18. If he can consistently hit those, he will be very difficult to guard, and he already is. He's getting a lot of minutes, and he's going to be hard to keep off the court. Krslovic seems smaller or slimmer this year. Also, I wonder if Akoh or other things are throwing off his rhythm a bit.

The Griz played very hard the whole game. The level of effort and intensity, compared to the Carroll, game was very apparent.

Maybe using Pridgett at the 4, and not the 2, is going to be a key to success. Interesting. I hadn't noticed that during the game.

My wife thinks Hauck should recruit some of the Griz men's cheerleaders to play linebacker. There are some fairly big muscular guys out there.

Haslam and Clay Christian were at the game. A big former Griz, I think Brent Smith (is that right) was at the game.

The spirit squads had games all 3 nights. The band is especially funny this year. Always has been, but I think they've stepped it up a notch or two.

The game atmosphere was fun, even at only 2700 in attendance. Crowds of 4000 or 5000 every game would be great. This is a very fun team to watch.

PlayerRep said:
Hauck should recruit some of the Griz men's cheerleaders to play linebacker. There are some fairly big muscular guys out there.

3361097_o.gif

PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:
I love the Griz...

But CSUN is getting homered.

There were 2 bad calls right in a row.

Looked liked 5th foul on Kryslovik was wrong, but I didn't have a great view.

The refs blew their whistles way too much, from the get-go.

CSUN was fouling. When you have dynamic guys like Pridgett and Oguine and Rorie aggressively going to the hole, you get more calls. I don't think the refs were great or anything,but, blaming refs is the lamest excuse.

Any foul on Kryslovic is probably a good call. He has slow feet and fouls almost every time when he is beat, which is too often. He's not good enough to defend most D1 guys he has to face, IMO.

PlayerRep said:
A few more thoughts. Akoh hit 2 outside jumpers where he was wide open. Maybe 12 and 14 or so, or even a bit longer. Pridgett hit some shots at 16 or 18. If he can consistently hit those, he will be very difficult to guard, and he already is. He's getting a lot of minutes, and he's going to be hard to keep off the court. Krslovic seems smaller or slimmer this year. Also, I wonder if Akoh or other things are throwing off his rhythm a bit.

The Griz played very hard the whole game. The level of effort and intensity, compared to the Carroll, game was very apparent.

Maybe using Pridgett at the 4, and not the 2, is going to be a key to success. Interesting. I hadn't noticed that during the game.

My wife thinks Hauck should recruit some of the Griz men's cheerleaders to play linebacker. There are some fairly big muscular guys out there.

Haslam and Clay Christian were at the game. A big former Griz, I think Brent Smith (is that right) was at the game.

The spirit squads had games all 3 nights. The band is especially funny this year. Always has been, but I think they've stepped it up a notch or two.

The game atmosphere was fun, even at only 2700 in attendance. Crowds of 4000 or 5000 every game would be great. This is a very fun team to watch.

Brent Smith was, indeed, courtside with his kids. I haven't seen him in years, so I'm not sure if he lives in town or was just visiting.

No way was there 2700 "in attendance" and the crowd was the same lame crowd as most games-no student section presence whatsoever and they got loud once or twice at best. It's just a bunch of old farts bitching about foul calls, as usual. The band hasn't done anything special since Nate Schweber's sousaphone antics, but at least they are there every game.

Any foul on Kryslovic is probably a good call. He has slow feet and fouls almost every time when he is beat, which is too often. He's not good enough to defend most D1 guys he has to face, IMO.
[/quote]

Interesting, since Krslovic has been known for his defense and rebounding. He was singled out by Cravens at the Big Sky tournament, when only a soph, as being one of the better defenders he’d seen at this level.

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:
I love the Griz...

CSUN was fouling. When you have dynamic guys like Pridgett and Oguine and Rorie aggressively going to the hole, you get more calls. I don't think the refs were great or anything,but, blaming refs is the lamest excuse.

Don't agree There were 2 horrible calls right in a row against CSUN in the second half, when the Griz were up about 8 or so. Theus was really complaining. The foul call on the 3-pt shot by I think Rorie was horrible, and the replay showed it was wrong. Don't agree on Krslovic either. He had a couple bogus calls against him, including his 5th. Also, a call on a pick. I think Krslovic defends fairly well.

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:

Brent Smith was, indeed, courtside with his kids. I haven't seen him in years, so I'm not sure if he lives in town or was just visiting.

No way was there 2700 "in attendance" and the crowd was the same lame crowd as most games-no student section presence whatsoever and they got loud once or twice at best. It's just a bunch of old farts bitching about foul calls, as usual. The band hasn't done anything special since Nate Schweber's sousaphone antics, but at least they are there every game.

Don't agree. The student section had plenty of people, altho not full. The band was terrific. They are very funny, and loud in their chants. The crowd, altho not great, was better than what you said.

PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:
I love the Griz...

Don't agree There were 2 horrible calls right in a row against CSUN in the second half, when the Griz were up about 8 or so. Theus was really complaining. The foul call on the 3-pt shot by I think Rorie was horrible, and the replay showed it was wrong.Don't agree on Krslovic either. He had a couple bogus calls against him, including his 5th. Also, a call on a pick. I think Krslovic defends fairly well.

Watching it at home and then the replay, I agree that there really wasn't contact from the upper body, but I think what the refs may have been calling on that foul was that the defender jumped at the shooter and his foot landed underneath Rorie's. I'm not sure if there is increased emphasis on this violation in the college game this year but the NBA has not tolerated it this year after it became a bug issue when Zaza did it to Kawhi in the Playoffs and led to Kawhi missing the rest of the series. Unlike Zaza, I don't think the CSUN player did it on purpose, he was just being aggressive.

PeauxRouge said:
PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:

Don't agree There were 2 horrible calls right in a row against CSUN in the second half, when the Griz were up about 8 or so. Theus was really complaining. The foul call on the 3-pt shot by I think Rorie was horrible, and the replay showed it was wrong.Don't agree on Krslovic either. He had a couple bogus calls against him, including his 5th. Also, a call on a pick. I think Krslovic defends fairly well.

Watching it at home and then the replay, I agree that there really wasn't contact from the upper body, but I think what the refs may have been calling on that foul was that the defender jumped at the shooter and his foot landed underneath Rorie's. I'm not sure if there is increased emphasis on this violation in the college game this year but the NBA has not tolerated it this year after it became a bug issue when Zaza did it to Kawhi in the Playoffs and led to Kawhi missing the rest of the series. Unlike Zaza, I don't think the CSUN player did it on purpose, he was just being aggressive.

Perhaps that was it. There was some minor contact at the foot level and Rorie fell back.

Latest posts

Back