• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Official Winter Olympics Thread

Speed skating all over the place. (Live and what we recorded.)

Strange, given the number of speed freaks around, that the U.S. doesn't have a larger presence in these events.

one of the best final goals I have ever seen.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/status/966573091441823744[/tweet]

Love the Canadian player taking off her silver medal right after it was put on... :roll:

AZDoc said:
Love the Canadian player taking off her silver medal right after it was put on... :roll:

Yeah, would have hoped for better sportsmanship. At World Juniors this year the captain of Sweden through his silver medal into the crowd. LOL

griz5700 said:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQbo1hJbak[/youtube]

Yeah there’s a story behind this. She’s American...has grandparents that are Hungarian. You have to finish top 30 in a certain number of events to qualify. She entered events that had 30 or less in it. The rules committee said they plan on changing some of that, partially due to this embarrassment.

Edit. Sorry I didn’t watch the thing first...it explained all that.

Well, we just looked in on some of our recorded backlog and came across the 3000M women's relay in speed-skating. (Had not paid a lot of attention since the U.S. had no one in contention.) Absolutely nuts!

Four teams made the "A" (medal) final. Away they go ... with crazy turns and wild "touch-offs" between members. Even crazier finish ... followed by a long, long judge's review. Results: South Korea wins gold, Italy wins silver ... and China and Canada are penalized out of the race. So they bounce over to the "B" final and award the Bronze to the Netherlands -- which only seems fair since they won the B final with a World (and Olympic) Record time.

We love speed-skating. And a 3000M race, with a four-member relay team, is almost as wild as a regular short-track race.

Olympic streaker. https://sports.yahoo.com/shirtless-pink-tutu-wearing-streaker-won-olympics-163323971.html

562 streaks under his "belt" now. https://sports.yahoo.com/story-behind-infamous-winter-olympics-streaker-224334510.html

Damn good Gold Medal men's hockey game going on right now. Germany and the Ruskies are tied at 2 late in the 3rd. Come on Hun!

biga75 said:
Damn good Gold Medal men's hockey game going on right now. Germany and the Ruskies are tied at 2 late in the 3rd. Come on Hun!

So biga, are you missing the NHL'ers?

I was in the earlier rounds but I now enjoy seeing Germany go for their first gold medal in Hockey. Probably wouldn't be possible if all the pros were there.

btw - I'm watching DVR so it's still 1-1 here :D

behappp said:
biga75 said:

I was in the earlier rounds but I now enjoy seeing Germany go for their first gold medal in Hockey. Probably wouldn't be possible if all the pros were there.

I don't pay too terribly much attention to hockey until the Stanley Cup playoffs - although I should because I forget how much I like hockey - so I don't know the difference without the NHL'ers.
Buckle in...OT coming :cool:

biga75 said:
behappp said:
biga75 said:

I don't pay too terribly much attention to hockey until the Stanley Cup playoffs - although I should because I forget how much I like hockey - so I don't know the difference without the NHL'ers.

Pretty much the same with me re: NHL.

Was pulling for the Reichsters, but what a fun game to watch.

Hockey is a fantastic live sport.

behappp said:
biga75 said:
behappp said:
biga75 said:

Pretty much the same with me re: NHL.

Was pulling for the Reichsters, but what a fun game to watch.

Hockey is a fantastic live sport.

Great game, it's a shame the NHL owners are too money grubbing to let the boys go play.

Curling was the height of the Olympics for me along with the women's hockey team. After two dismal showings in the last couple of Olympics (1-9, 0-10) John( rhymes with loser) Schuster started of where he had left off by being kicked around like a red headed stepchild. Their 2-4 record put them on the verge of elimination again. And then they started to win over some of the best teams in the world, culminating in a gold medal victory over the powerful Swedish team. So I take back every rude comment (and they are many) I have made about John Schuster over the last 12 years. Hopefully the USA success will result in more interest in Curling nationwide.

Back