• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Poly-Cats Observations

MontanaSTATEfan said:
The Grizzly defense is much better than the Cats defense. No doubt.

Of note in the Cal Poly game, the Mustangs seemed content to grind out long, time-killing drives in the second half. Down three scores that seemed odd. So we gave up 200 yards and one touch down...worked out pretty good. Did it have something to do with a couple of great pass defense plays? Maybe. Otherwise it was an odd offensive strategy for sure.

There is also no doubt that the Cat's defense has show improvement over the first 2 games and has used more depth in doing so. The attitude is different and this bodes well. There is a long way to go, but for the first time in a while, I think we will progress rather than regress. We'll see.

It's also very likely that the Griz offense continues to progress in the next weeks and months. That is expected.

Cal Poly has an offense designed to produce the conference rushing leader. Wins? Not so much.

Unless the Griz improve tremendously on offense, MSU will be heavy favorites come November. They are peaking, Griz are building. I like MSU's chances in this year's BOTW. Going forward, maybe not. So this is your year, Cats. If not now, probably never.

HookedonGriz said:
Finally had a chance to watch the Poly-Cats game and had a few observations:

- the Cats offense looked good and was very efficient scoring almost every time they had the ball
- CP was so worried about Prukop running they bit on everything and the Cats receivers were so wide open even I could have had a high QB rating
- cats had a well executed fake punt early in the first that helped them go up 14-0 (kind of a new risk-taking Ash we are seeing)
- the Cats defense did nothing the Griz didn't do....in fact they did worse.....they gave up 25 first downs, 406 yards, and 28 points compared to the Griz who gave up 19 first downs, 386 yards, and 20 points
- the key difference is the Cats scored almost at will where the Griz struggled to find points which led to a pretty convincing Cats win
- cats took care of the football with no turnovers, the Griz had 4
- cats had 1 penalty for 10 yards, the Griz had 6 for 54
- another key difference is this defensive performance has Cats fans ecstatic and talking about how they may be "scary" good whereas e-griz thought the sky was falling and that our defense was awful and that Gregorak should be fired

Perspective is a funny thing sometimes....with the main factor being they got a win and felt great about it. We shot ourselves in the foot and lost and you would have thought the season ended.

That's why you just win baby. Winning makes it all better and makes everything look and seem better whether it is or not.
Good comparison and I agree with everything except for one comment. There was only a couple of egriz fans that said the Griz D was awful and those few fans were obviously struggling with any form of reality. Griz D has been stellar all year with exception of a few plays. Cal Poly was a so-so team we never should have lost to even with 4 turnovers. We should have won that game by 20+

NativeGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Finally had a chance to watch the Poly-Cats game and had a few observations:

- the Cats offense looked good and was very efficient scoring almost every time they had the ball
- CP was so worried about Prukop running they bit on everything and the Cats receivers were so wide open even I could have had a high QB rating
- cats had a well executed fake punt early in the first that helped them go up 14-0 (kind of a new risk-taking Ash we are seeing)
- the Cats defense did nothing the Griz didn't do....in fact they did worse.....they gave up 25 first downs, 406 yards, and 28 points compared to the Griz who gave up 19 first downs, 386 yards, and 20 points
- the key difference is the Cats scored almost at will where the Griz struggled to find points which led to a pretty convincing Cats win
- cats took care of the football with no turnovers, the Griz had 4
- cats had 1 penalty for 10 yards, the Griz had 6 for 54
- another key difference is this defensive performance has Cats fans ecstatic and talking about how they may be "scary" good whereas e-griz thought the sky was falling and that our defense was awful and that Gregorak should be fired

Perspective is a funny thing sometimes....with the main factor being they got a win and felt great about it. We shot ourselves in the foot and lost and you would have thought the season ended.

That's why you just win baby. Winning makes it all better and makes everything look and seem better whether it is or not.
Good comparison and I agree with everything except for one comment. There was only a couple of egriz fans that said the Griz D was awful and those few fans were obviously struggling with any form of reality. Griz D has been stellar all year with exception of a few plays. Cal Poly was a so-so team we never should have lost to even with 4 turnovers. We should have won that game by 20+

And on a 47 yard field goal as time expires no less....I'll take that loss anyday if the kicker from CalPoly steps up and drills a 45+ yarder in the rain.

kemajic said:
The.Real.2506 said:
I agree that the fizz defense looks better that the Cats defense, but last weeks defensive performance was much better than what the Cat have seen in a long time, I would say right now that our defense might be decent.
That was against a one-dimensional team that had no passing game. It was pretty clear in the EWU game how good the MSU pass defense is.
The biggest problem the Cats had with EWU was that they were able to run on us, if we had stopped their run the Cats would have won that game. Based on the cp game, they have improved a lot in that department, but you are right in that it remained to be seen how it goes with a balanced or pass heavy team

BadlandsGrizFan said:
As the season progresses deffenses start to catch on to what theyre doing, generally around the first week of November. Thats when we always see the cats start to slide. Because theyre so accustomed to having their offense win everything for them so late in the year they end up screwing themselves over because now all of a sudden their defense has to win a game or two for them, which they always fail.
Baloney, last year was the first year in a long time that the bobcat defense was worse than their offense. They have been relying on their defense for years and their offense was usually struggling. Did you just start watching this rivalry last year?

2013 BSC Statistics MSU defense 4th offense 6th
2012 BSC Statistics MSU defense 1st offense 4th
2011 BSC Statistics MSU defense 2nd offense 2nd
2010 BSC Statistics MSU defense 6th offense 2nd
2009 BSC Statistics MSU defense 1st offense 6th
2008 BSC Statistics MSU defense 2nd offense 9th
2007 BSC Statistics MSU defense 4th offense 8th
2006 BSC Statistics MSU defense 3rd offense 4th

Like was eluded to in another post, there seem to be some tangible differences at MSU this year that lends for some optimism (cautious, for me) that the late season slide either won't happen or won't be nearly as steep. The amount of rotation on D that they are doing is going to keep guys much more fresh and able to play stronger as the year moves along. I'm don't have hard facts on this number, but my eyes tell me there were probably 19-20 different guys that got significant playing time on defense. Last year would've been more like 14. So if injuries happen, next guy up will already be at game speed so drop off shouldn't be as severe (I know, I know....the backups are better than the starters, haha)

Another difference I've seen this year over the previous couple years is that hustle and intensity they are playing with on D. You can just see a different attitude out there. There seems to be much more swarm tackling, more guys to the ball, more guys hustling down field even after they missed an assignment. Things that were totally missing in the years past. Even against EWU, I saw these things really emerge in the 2nd half of the game. They weren't good by any stretch, but the hustle and attitude improved as the game went on. The deficiency in the defense so far has been actual missed assignments, which improved drastically against Poly - which is to be expected against a one-dimensional offense. This weekend against a balanced NAU office will tell a lot about MSU's defense and where they are really at.

No doubt UM has the superior defense right now - and will all year. One of the best in the nation. Any less on defense UM would be 0-4 right now. Holmes is a freak. I've watched all the games and I think he's better than Wags at this point. UM is in a very lucky spot right now to have that D to keep it in games while the offense grows and develops. MSU is in the opposite boat now. Offense can score with anybody and will probably win a couple games while the defense comes together. Which one will improve more? That'll be the thing to watch as the season moves towards Nov. 21st.

Total side note - it is VERY refreshing to be part of a thread that involves both the Cats and the Griz and not have a pissing match already broken out at this point. I love discussing football, no matter the jersey color.

Pin2Win said:
Like was eluded to in another post, there seem to be some tangible differences at MSU this year that lends for some optimism (cautious, for me) that the late season slide either won't happen or won't be nearly as steep. The amount of rotation on D that they are doing is going to keep guys much more fresh and able to play stronger as the year moves along. I'm don't have hard facts on this number, but my eyes tell me there were probably 19-20 different guys that got significant playing time on defense. Last year would've been more like 14. So if injuries happen, next guy up will already be at game speed so drop off shouldn't be as severe (I know, I know....the backups are better than the starters, haha)

Another difference I've seen this year over the previous couple years is that hustle and intensity they are playing with on D. You can just see a different attitude out there. There seems to be much more swarm tackling, more guys to the ball, more guys hustling down field even after they missed an assignment. Things that were totally missing in the years past. Even against EWU, I saw these things really emerge in the 2nd half of the game. They weren't good by any stretch, but the hustle and attitude improved as the game went on. The deficiency in the defense so far has been actual missed assignments, which improved drastically against Poly - which is to be expected against a one-dimensional offense. This weekend against a balanced NAU office will tell a lot about MSU's defense and where they are really at.

No doubt UM has the superior defense right now - and will all year. One of the best in the nation. Any less on defense UM would be 0-4 right now. Holmes is a freak. I've watched all the games and I think he's better than Wags at this point. UM is in a very lucky spot right now to have that D to keep it in games while the offense grows and develops. MSU is in the opposite boat now. Offense can score with anybody and will probably win a couple games while the defense comes together. Which one will improve more? That'll be the thing to watch as the season moves towards Nov. 21st.

Total side note - it is VERY refreshing to be part of a thread that involves both the Cats and the Griz and not have a pissing match already broken out at this point. I love discussing football, no matter the jersey color.

Solid post with good thoughts and observations. You are welcome to post here any time. Football talk is always good.

srgrizizen said:
MontanaSTATEfan said:
The Grizzly defense is much better than the Cats defense. No doubt.

Of note in the Cal Poly game, the Mustangs seemed content to grind out long, time-killing drives in the second half. Down three scores that seemed odd. So we gave up 200 yards and one touch down...worked out pretty good. Did it have something to do with a couple of great pass defense plays? Maybe. Otherwise it was an odd offensive strategy for sure.

There is also no doubt that the Cat's defense has show improvement over the first 2 games and has used more depth in doing so. The attitude is different and this bodes well. There is a long way to go, but for the first time in a while, I think we will progress rather than regress. We'll see.

It's also very likely that the Griz offense continues to progress in the next weeks and months. That is expected.

Cal Poly has an offense designed to produce the conference rushing leader. Wins? Not so much.

Unless the Griz improve tremendously on offense, MSU will be heavy favorites come November. They are peaking, Griz are building. I like MSU's chances in this year's BOTW. Going forward, maybe not. So this is your year, Cats. If not now, probably never.

The same thing was said when Denarius was graduating. As long as MSU keeps getting good recruits the success should carry on. Their defense is deeper this year and I expect will improve with each game. The years that they collapsed at year end were more of a result of really key injuries. Yes, that can happen again but with the added depth on both sides of the ball, I don't see a collapse this year. I also think the Griz offense will improve as the season goes on. Will be a good match-up by year end.

HookedonGriz said:
Pin2Win said:

Solid post with good thoughts and observations. You are welcome to post here any time. Football talk is always good.

I love when people give other posters "PERMISSION" to post on the internet...haha

havgrizfan said:
The MSU offense is legit. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it, and acknowledge it. Prukop is about as confident a QB as I've seen in a long, long time. He's also a great kid who is a natural leader. And no matter how bad MSU's defense is, and it is pretty bad, the Cats will roll into Nov. 21 at 9-1 and an on 8-game winning streak. And, they will most likely set a school record for margin of victory per game doing it. The problem isn't what the Cats will do to the NAU's, PSU's and Sac State's of the Big Sky, and maybe even the Griz, it will be what they won't be able to do against the NDSU's, the Illinois State's and the Jacksonville State's, and that's get the stops when they need them the most. MSU is an FCS quarterfinal team, which isn't a bad thing, but the Cats aren't a serious threat to win a national title this season no matter how scary their offense is.

Whoops ;)

nzone said:
havgrizfan said:
The MSU offense is legit. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it, and acknowledge it. Prukop is about as confident a QB as I've seen in a long, long time. He's also a great kid who is a natural leader. And no matter how bad MSU's defense is, and it is pretty bad, the Cats will roll into Nov. 21 at 9-1 and an on 8-game winning streak. And, they will most likely set a school record for margin of victory per game doing it. The problem isn't what the Cats will do to the NAU's, PSU's and Sac State's of the Big Sky, and maybe even the Griz, it will be what they won't be able to do against the NDSU's, the Illinois State's and the Jacksonville State's, and that's get the stops when they need them the most. MSU is an FCS quarterfinal team, which isn't a bad thing, but the Cats aren't a serious threat to win a national title this season no matter how scary their offense is.

Whoops ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

havgrizfan said:
The MSU offense is legit. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it, and acknowledge it. Prukop is about as confident a QB as I've seen in a long, long time. He's also a great kid who is a natural leader. And no matter how bad MSU's defense is, and it is pretty bad, the Cats will roll into Nov. 21 at 9-1 and an on 8-game winning streak. And, they will most likely set a school record for margin of victory per game doing it. The problem isn't what the Cats will do to the NAU's ...
Prukop is confident, but he was banged up at the Cal Poly game and NAU was chasing him all over the place. It's been a rough couple of weeks for the lad.

And I think something happened there. The Griz got Jake Bleskin last year instead of Prukop, but the Wombats were still trying to run Prukop plays. The problem wasn't so much that Bleskin wasn't up to the task, it was that Ty had those plays figured out and made it look so bad for Bleskin. I doubt that had Prukop played he would have looked much better. The pressure was on. The Griz had that figured out, and NAU read that same book (take that "Rommel!") last weekend.

Last weekend Prukop had to run about five times as many yards as he actually accrued statistically. He spent half that game (the part where NAU was still playing) scrambling.

Ash and Cramsey have a problem now. NAU reopened that book this season on Prukop. Until they put in their bench, NAU "handled" Prukop amazingly well and its all on "film." Handing that film to someone like Ty Gregorak undoubtedly signals to Ash/Cramsey that they need to change their game, and yet .... to what? So much of that team play depends on a QB who has to rely on a high degree of athleticism to avoid injury against a good defense.

I can see why the 'Bats are all wound up over that NAU game. Prukop wasn't just having a "bad day." The strategy is failing, for all to see.

Back