• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position depth concerns

Looks like several linemen entered portal from CU. Most were guys who tried to step up from smaller programs. Might be fertile ground for depth and competition if Coach feels we need more.

I don't think there is that much uncertainty. I really like Ah Yat and Hout and I think Fife brings that veteran reliability if needed. I think Vidlak would look much better this year with a more veteran line, better running game, more veteran receivers and 15 games under new OC. Just as Cliff would have benefited from that if he stayed.
It feels odd calling the line more veteran after graduating our LT, C, and best run-blocking G. That could just as easily be viewed as a full rebuild, but hopefully we see some new faces step up in those critical roles.

I suspect there will be continued growing pains before any sort of obvious improvement. But what an opportunity for Pawlak to make a name for himself sooner than later.

It feels odd calling the line more veteran after graduating our LT, C, and best run-blocking G. That could just as easily be viewed as a full rebuild, but hopefully we see some new faces step up in those critical roles.

I suspect there will be continued growing pains before any sort of obvious improvement. But what an opportunity for Pawlak to make a name for himself sooner than later.
Good point. I would say deeper would be better term than veteran. A lot of young guys got thrown in to mix last year and are a year older and stronger. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more transfers. still.

I don't see any real depth problems right now but lots can change--both good and bad with the portal open again for a short period of time. In terms of QB I personally hope that Huot continues to make great strides and ends up as #1 or #2 but I have much confidence that Pease and Bobby will go with who is best and has the greatest chance of leading us to the finals once again

Would anyone have predicted Cliff playing well when he couldn't see the field at Central Arkansas? Or split time at a JC. Or threw what 5 passes at University of Lousisana? A red shirt year and one year on the bench is not buried on depth chart. He got bigger and stronger during that time. Hout was the highest ranked player in Montana his senior year. A 3 star (even though they mean nothing). He was being recruited by Oregon St., Fresno St.. NDSU etc. Or Ah Yat described as the most college ready QB out of high school they have ever seen by Griz coaches. Or a QB that has lead a team from behind for wins in key Mountain West games and was 11-12 in relief vs USC. Cliff got his opportunity and he did well with it. But he didn't do S#$t before that. That is college football. You get a few years and somebody new steps up. Griz have a loaded group on offense and three (maybe four) capable guys that can play. Only uncertainty is which one will it be.
I actually predicted McDowell would do well and predicted he'd end up being the starter. So there's that. Vidlak is a bust. Fife looking bustish, and Ah Yat just needs another year.

I actually predicted McDowell would do well and predicted he'd end up being the starter. So there's that. Vidlak is a bust. Fife looking bustish, and Ah Yat just needs another year.
Last Spring you did? You are calling someone a bust on watching them throw 10 times in a mixed scrimmage? Haha ok

Last Spring you did? You are calling someone a bust on watching them throw 10 times in a mixed scrimmage? Haha ok
As soon as McDowell announced he was coming here. Said it numerous times. Sometimes people can just tell. Ah Yat is better than Fife and has a lot more potential. Huot has more potential than Fife. So far nothing about him says "wow" just says "depth"

Well, I know one position that doesn't lack depth, RBs. I didn't go back and look at the roster and completely count how many we have, but it has to be close to 10 at least including the incoming freshman. They need to start making some of those guys into slotbacks because our receiver depth has a big drop after the starting 4.
But it all starts up front. It's going to be hard to replace a 3 year starting center in AJ, and I hope one of them comes through. Anyways I think we will be fine. These guys will be working hard through the summer and Montana must be one of the only programs I know that doesn't allow their kids to go home for summer. Maybe only 2 weeks and they have to spend the whole summer up there. I remember back in the 90s when we won the Big Sky almost every year, we didn't have to come back until July. Oh well, I guess times have changed. Looking forward to this upcoming season. Go GRIZ!!!

As soon as McDowell announced he was coming here. Said it numerous times. Sometimes people can just tell. Ah Yat is better than Fife and has a lot more potential. Huot has more potential than Fife. So far nothing about him says "wow" just says "depth"

Can you show us some of those posts on McDowell? I did a quick search and didn't see them. Maybe I don't know how to use the new format Search. I saw an Oct. 6 post, but he was already starting then.

Last edited:
Ah Yat flashed that “it factor” multiple times last year when he had a chance. He should ability we haven’t seen from QBs here in a long time. I hope he comes in comfortable and confident in the college game now having been here a few years. If he progresses and everything clicks for him. He could go down as one of the programs greats like his daddy

Okay, keep in mind I say this based on what we saw this spring, and the possibility exists that between now and fall camp, if AY2.0 becomes the anointed starter.

The eGriz consensus seems to be that AY2.0 isn't starter a consistent #1 caliber QB quite yet, and that he needs more time on the field. There seems to be a small following growing for Team Huot.

I would like to see the #2 (either AY or Huot) start for the Griz against Morehead State. What?

I went to a two of their game Butler and Drake (Morehead is a terrible, terrible team I was pissed I actually spent money to buy tickets to watch them, but it's the closest FCS football to me.

I predict the Griz will be up 35-0 by half. If I am right, which I know I will be, okay maybe 28-0. Then they should put whoever emerges as #2 in to get some solid playing time.

if you disagree, that's okay, I took my meds about an hour ago and they are kicking in and I am essentially talking trash at the moment.

Based on the small amount of pass protection I've seen from the Griz O-line, I wouldn't read too much into the QB completions this spring. I also wouldn't read too much into the performance of an O-line with a new coach. Changes to that group affect QB play. They just do.

As for the rest of the roster, spring is when you short stuff out. It's the closest thing to audition season that the Griz have. Some of these guys that didn't audition well won't be invited to fall camp. There are sure to be new transfers between now and July. Such is college football.

Back