• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Possible GRIZ addition, basketball or football?

dudebrobra said:
Gonzaga bio: http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=209267985

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Lake Oswego High…played football and basketball…sophomore season team captured Three Rivers League title and named to second-team All-League…first career double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds in 66-57 win over West Linn…scored 16 points, grabbed 8 rebounds and 4 steals in 90-75 win over Jefferson in Les Schwab Invitational and was named Lake Oswego’s MVP for the tournament…missed junior basketball season with knee injury…senior season named to Oregon 6A State Tournament second-team as team finished third after winning title as a junior….dunked against Southridge in quarterfinal win of Oregon 6A State Tournament…named All-State wide receiver in football as Lakers downed Sheldon 47-14 to snap a string of three straight title-game losses…had a fantastic 32-yard catch to set up a touchdown as Lake Oswego outscored Sheldon 30-0 in the second half..had one rushing TD, 14 received touchdowns and 919 yards receiving for 26-yard average ...missed junior basketball season with knee injury...Had football scholarship offers from Northern Colorado and Portland State but wanted to pursue his dream of playing basketball...confided in former Bulldog and Portland native Mike Hart when making his decision to come to Gonzaga.

From Oregon newspaper during his senior year: http://highschoolsports.oregonlive....hdown-passes-as-lakers-take-over-first-place/

Griffin not only is playing this season for the second-ranked Lakers (7-0, 3-0 Three Rivers League), he has become a force, as evidenced by his performance in a 55-21 win over Clackamas (4-3, 2-1) on Thursday. He had his best game of the season, catching touchdown passes of 80, 59 and 15 yards in the second quarter to help the Lakers take sole possession of first place.

"He's just the prototype," Clackamas coach Joe Bushman said. "He's big, he's physical and he's fast. He's tough to stop, but it's not like you can double-cover him because they've got so many other guys."

Griffin connected with senior quarterback Justen Ruppe four times for 173 yards before they both sat out the second half.

"He's always been the go-to guy, the guy who can jump over anybody," Ruppe said of Griffin, who has nine touchdown catches this season. "The big question was, 'Could he do it at this level?' And he clearly can. I can put the ball wherever and he can go get it."

If the only two scholarship football offers I had were PSU and UNC I'd pursue my dream of playing college basketball too... :lol:

Here's to hoping this guy is moving about 200 miles east. :thumb:

statler & waldorf said:
Unless there is some NCAA rule about about doing football AND basketball......he seems to be able to do both at a high level.

Athletes are allowed to do so. It is just a matter of handling it physically and academically. Dan Beaudin did it a few years back. The scholarship is counted against the bigger of the 2 sports. In this case, football. Meanwhile, DeCuire would have one hell of a basketball player on a football scholarship. :thumb:

A friend of mine told me talent wise Griffin is much better than the level recruiting him out of HS. His desire to play Div 1 basketball pretty much kept quite a few football programs from going after him. The kid is also an accounting major. Sounds like this possibility very well could be reality come football season. :thumb:

OK. Just another fan wanting to have him travel over Look Out Pass and on into Griz country.
If he wants to play football then he is a lock as a Griz.
Prefer basketball? Travis will give him the ride he needs!
Griffin needs to be a Griz in any event

AZGrizFan said:
Any update on this guy?

NADA word anywhere. I have a feeling Pflug may have been warned to not reveal more. I will snoop around during the GRIZ team camp in mid June. :thumb:

Will visit Washington & Montana, Portland State also in the mix

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sp...oss-makes-jags-connor-griffin-leaves-gonzaga-

Former Lake Oswego basketball/football standout Connor Griffin, who has been a member of the Gonzaga basketball team the past two years, is transferring from the Spokane school to play football.

The 6-4, 210-pound Griffin made the Bulldogs as a walk-on freshman and played on the varsity the past two years. He had nine points and eight rebounds in 14 games as a reserve small forward on the team that reached the Elite Eight this winter.

"I have more potential in football and missed the game," says Griffin, a first-team all-state wide receiver for the Lakers with 36 receptions for 919 yards and 14 TDs as senior. "I knew at some point I was going to play college football. I didn't know if it was going to be for just one year after I was through with basketball, or more."

Griffin says it was a difficult decision to leave Gonzaga, "especially after going to the Elite Eight."

"We lost four guys and I was going to be fighting for more playing time," he says. "But in the end, I had to listen to my heart and pursue football. I owed it to myself to explore my options and see what else was out there."

Portland State has offered a scholarship. Montana has offered some financial help, and Washington says it will take Griffin as a preferred walk-on.

"I want to find out more about each program and how legit they are about using me," says Griffin, who retains three seasons of football eligibility. "I've talked with Portland State coaches and will take visits to Montana and Washington before I decide."

dudebrobra said:

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sp...oss-makes-jags-connor-griffin-leaves-gonzaga-

Former Lake Oswego basketball/football standout Connor Griffin, who has been a member of the Gonzaga basketball team the past two years, is transferring from the Spokane school to play football.

The 6-4, 210-pound Griffin made the Bulldogs as a walk-on freshman and played on the varsity the past two years. He had nine points and eight rebounds in 14 games as a reserve small forward on the team that reached the Elite Eight this winter.

"I have more potential in football and missed the game," says Griffin, a first-team all-state wide receiver for the Lakers with 36 receptions for 919 yards and 14 TDs as senior. "I knew at some point I was going to play college football. I didn't know if it was going to be for just one year after I was through with basketball, or more."

Griffin says it was a difficult decision to leave Gonzaga, "especially after going to the Elite Eight."

"We lost four guys and I was going to be fighting for more playing time," he says. "But in the end, I had to listen to my heart and pursue football. I owed it to myself to explore my options and see what else was out there."

Portland State has offered a scholarship. Montana has offered some financial help, and Washington says it will take Griffin as a preferred walk-on.

"I want to find out more about each program and how legit they are about using me," says Griffin, who retains three seasons of football eligibility. "I've talked with Portland State coaches and will take visits to Montana and Washington before I decide."

Awesome to know we are in the running for him. If he wants a full ride this year, PSU is the favorite. The GRIZ will better impress him on and off the field. A full ride would likely be available to him for 2016/17 school year. I don't know how Washington's WR depth chart looks like the next few years. I am confident he will be sold on Coach Stitt and the offense. I hope he prefers the FCS playoff format over the BCS joke format. It is good that Pflug is riding him to be a GRIZ. That could go a long way.

If anyone knows Connor Griffin and his family. Tell him GRIZ NATION welcomes him to the family!.

Half and half......sorry Any scholarship he gets counts against football even if plays bball. Counts towards largest program....thus the issue with track guys on scholarship wanting to try football too

mtgrizrule said:
dudebrobra said:

Awesome to know we are in the running for him. If he wants a full ride this year, PSU is the favorite. The GRIZ will better impress him on and off the field. A full ride would likely be available to him for 2016/17 school year. I don't know how Washington's WR depth chart looks like the next few years. I am confident he will be sold on Coach Stitt and the offense. I hope he prefers the FCS playoff format over the BCS joke format. It is good that Pflug is riding him to be a GRIZ. That could go a long way.

If anyone knows Connor Griffin and his family. Tell him GRIZ NATION welcomes him to the family!.

If the kid walked on at Gonzaga, it must mean that he or his family had at least some ability to carry his tuition and that's an expensive school. So I'm thinking that the initial financial package is probably secondary to what his role will be in the offense. He'd likely earn a schollie by next season anyway.

He has good hand/eye coordination, can jump, and is already tall/big...would be a big-time threat in the red-zone with jump balls for touchdowns.

Interesting...

Connor Griffin @C_Griffs_ - June 10
So pumped to have Missoula legends, @tres_tinkle3 and @jtinx44, show me around town tonight! Sorry @elltink31...

dudebrobra said:
Interesting...

So pumped to have Missoula legends, @tres_tinkle3 and @jtinx44, show me around town tonight! Sorry @elltink31...
that is interesting. Thanks for posting.

It is possible the Griz could be adding another homegrown WR this summer who would be a sr if he plays. He was an excellent WR in the high school ranks. Would be great if it happens.

Yukon said:
dudebrobra said:
Interesting...

that is interesting. Thanks for posting.

Yukon thanks for adding this to this thread and not starting a new thread. I like the chances of the GRIZ for landing Connor Griffin. He is tight with the Tinkles. I am sure Elle has filled him in how great Missoula is. Also his future QB (Pflug) is working hard to convince him to be a GRIZ. Come on Connor, you know you are meant to be a GRIZ!!!!

Latest posts

Back